Sponsored

2018 EcoBoost oil: is 5w20 full synthetic ok?

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Ecoboost Convertible - Kona Blue
As the title says, is using 5w20 full synthetic Penzoil Ultra Platinum ok for use in a 2018 EcoBoost? I'm in Tennessee, so it's definitely not too cool down here this time of year/summer.

I saw a lot of recommendations for this specific oil on the forum, but a lot of people recommending it are driving GTs. Factory shows 5w30 semi-synthetic as the recommended oil.

Also, the factory spec says 5.7 quarts using the original filter. I see there is a larger version of the filter that allows for a full 6 quart install. It looks like 2019+ uses this larger filter and 6 quart spec, but can someone with a 2018 also use that and go for a full 6? I hate having the leftover oil and having to be careful not to overfill and would prefer to use the larger filter and all 6 quarts without worry of overfilling.

I know there are tons of posts about oil here, so I know this may be a bit annoying to some, but I want to get some final confirmation before I go putting this in my vehicle. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Ecoboost Convertible - Kona Blue

offcamber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic GT - Premium/PP
Penzoil is good stuff. Can’t see any drawbacks.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
FWIW I am not sure why you are trying to go down a weight in TN from Ford's recommended weight (which probably won't hurt) but if the reasoning is only 5w20 us the only available weight available locally in Pennzoil Ultra Plat; Quaker State Ultimate Durability Fully Syn 5w30 is very similar stock (Quaker State & Pennzoil are the same company) and is readily available anywhere. It also meets GDI Turbo requirements. The larger filter to get the 6qt capacity is the Motorcraft FL-400S.
Sponsored