Sponsored

2017 Mustang Gt 350 Bad Valve Spring now Damaged in shipment by Ford update with Pics

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
The shipper fills out a form detailing any damage when they pick up the car. The dealer gets a copy of that report when it's delivered. Then the dealer is supposed to go over the car and Mark any damage that wasn't on the shippers report. It's not rocket science for Gods sakes . Get a copy of that report from the dealer that received the car.
Sponsored

OP
OP

bwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor 2017 GT 350R 2017 GT 350(sold) 2014 GT(Sold)
I thought about this a long time last night (ok since it happened). I think I am just going to try and sell the car and get another one. I am going to ask Ford to help me. Maybe between them or a sympathetic dealer I might be able to pull out of this disaster. I know its only paint and its only a car but I really am very emotionally detached from the thing and just want a new one. Anything less will have me shaking my head every time I look at it. I really never thought of this ever happening to a car like this. Its just crazy for me.

Letter writing campaign starts next week. If anyone knows someone at Ford I can write a letter to with an address please share!

What a mess.

OP
OP

bwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The shipper fills out a form detailing any damage when they pick up the car. The dealer gets a copy of that report when it's delivered. Then the dealer is supposed to go over the car and Mark any damage that wasn't on the shippers report. It's not rocket science for Gods sakes . Get a copy of that report from the dealer that received the car.

That is a small kink in the issue. The dealer didn't see any damage and signed off on the delivery.

It would have been better to have that info on the form but it's easy to prove what happened. Plus the guy who I asked to receive it is a friend of mine and he thought it was ok. I get it. he just didn't see it. I really don't want to make a stink about it on that end. He is a friend of mine and I would not want to get sideways with a friend over a car. It would not be worth it to me.

At the end of the day to get where I want to be is just money. So minimizing the loss is the name of the game at this point. I really hope that Ford comes through and helps me out. It is clearly the right thing to do.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
I thought about this a long time last night (ok since it happened). I think I am just going to try and sell the car and get another one. I am going to ask Ford to help me. Maybe between them or a sympathetic dealer I might be able to pull out of this disaster. I know its only paint and its only a car but I really am very emotionally detached from the thing and just want a new one. Anything less will have me shaking my head every time I look at it. I really never thought of this ever happening to a car like this. Its just crazy for me.

Letter writing campaign starts next week. If anyone knows someone at Ford I can write a letter to with an address please share!

What a mess.
I don't blame you at all. I'm the same way. Even if it was just one stone chip from the shipper I'd still be upset. It's your pride and joy and it's also a brand new car. Who wants to keep making payments or paid for a car in full that's already looks like it's been driven down a gravel road. Good luck brother!

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
That is a small kink in the issue. The dealer didn't see any damage and signed off on the delivery.

It would have been better to have that info on the form but it's easy to prove what happened. Plus the guy who I asked to receive it is a friend of mine and he thought it was ok. I get it. he just didn't see it. I really don't want to make a stink about it on that end. He is a friend of mine and I would not want to get sideways with a friend over a car. It would not be worth it to me.
I agree. Legally, the receiving dealer is at fault unless someone earlier in the chain confesses which isn't going to happen. It's your choice to either hold the dealer who did NOT inspect the car properly responsible for your losses OR to give them a pass and you pay for all the damages.

Ford is not to blame. The reason Ford said it had to be delivered to a Ford dealer was because said dealer is supposed to be competent to inspect the car.

I'm not so sure I would call such a dealer much of a friend. The friend's dealership screwed up. They signed a form making THEM responsible for any damage incurred during shipping. What kind of person expects or even allows a friend pay for their mistake?

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
On the flip side, if the shipper noted the damage on a form when they picked it up - it's going to be on the dealer that repaired the car.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Its my bad on the mileage. When I posted I was already back home. I thought it had 210 on it but it had 274. So 6 miles were put on it total while it was out of my control. Sorry for the miss-information.
Oh :) Yeah, I thought it it was 70, there's something up. 6... almost forgivable. (almost :) ).

Hope you get it sorted. I'm the same way. Once I get a bad taste in my mouth for a car...especially one that I haven't even really "owned" yet, I'd likely never really love it. Man, that makes me sound like such a horrible person.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
... Legally, the receiving dealer is at fault unless someone earlier in the chain confesses which isn't going to happen. It's your choice to either hold the dealer who did NOT inspect the car properly responsible for your losses OR to give them a pass and you pay for all the damages.
Sure seems like the receiving dealership messed up. Ford may have arranged the transport, but they are dependent on the dealership to carefully inspect the car before signing for it.

Supposedly dealerships receive a number of brand new cars show up with minor damage, or incur minor damage during the unloading and parking, and they are allowed to repair (and re-paint) them and sell as brand new. If this is the case, they may not be in the habit of carefully inspecting the paint of all cars as they arrive.

Maybe you can call your insurance company, and get the damage appraised. Both a re-paint, and diminished value, and then present that report as something formal to both the local dealership and Ford. Ford may lean on the local dealership. Could be that they offer to re-paint the front of the car, and cut you a check for the diminished value.

If all parties stone-wall, then this is probably the domain of small claims court. You could either go that route, or just file on your own auto insurance.

Selling and re-buying sounds like an expensive solution, particularly for a GT350. You could throw $7500-10000 at a trade, only to have someone in a junker that is busy typing on a cellphone hit your car. Or there is hail storm, hurricane, etc.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
In GA if the dealer repairs a new car..... anything over $500 has to be disclosed to the buying public.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
In GA if the dealer repairs a new car..... anything over $500 has to be disclosed to the buying public.
seems GA is better than average:

California, known for being a consumer-friendly state, sets the threshold at only three percent (of MSRP), while most other states have set their thresholds from three to six percent

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...dmitted-my-car-damaged-prior-my-purchase.html
Dealer admitted my car was damaged prior to my purchase

"People would be surprised at how many vehicles are damaged at the factory, in-transit & at the dealership. Most never know.

"They can rig the estimate to keep the paint cost down.

Sponsored

***GT350***

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

At the end of the day to get where I want to be is just money. So minimizing the loss is the name of the game at this point. I really hope that Ford comes through and helps me out. It is clearly the right thing to do.
Sir you have my 100% respect. $hit really happens and it all depends on how we deal with it. Sell/trade-in the damn thing for a new GT350, or even get something different and better. The next one will be better for SURE! :cheers:

turbohvn

Turbohvn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Fastback GT PP
I've read the entire thread. I would not contact the local news folks but a network news representative. They love dealing with things like this, and history shows that in the end, the consumer always wins.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I've read the entire thread. I would not contact the local news folks but a network news representative. They love dealing with things like this, and history shows that in the end, the consumer always wins.
Why would it be a national story that a dealer signed a paper saying the car was fine without checking it?

Ford didn't do anything wrong, unless you think Ford should have volunteered to pay for the dealer's mistake when the car owner is okay with the dealer's mistake.

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
Talk to a real trial lawyer.

For $1000-$1500 you should be able to get adequate letters out to Ford from the atty to resolve this matter.

You have a straight forward bailment situation here. Ford is responsible for negligent damage during their custody and control (a reasonable standard test). One stray rock out of nowhere or a kid with a sling shot then no liability but that much damage-negligence existed somewhere while in Ford's/Shipper's custody.

And Ford's custody and control didn't end until you arrived at your local dealership to pick the car up. Yes the shipper is also liable but it is not an either-or. You can collect from Ford and then Ford can go after the shipper. Ford does not escape liability because they handed the car over to a shipper.

Last edited:
OP
OP

bwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Talk to a real trial lawyer.

For $1000-$1500 you should be able to get adequate letters out to Ford from the atty to resolve this matter.

You have a straight forward bailment situation here. Ford is responsible for negligent damage during their custody and control (a reasonable standard test). One stray rock out of nowhere or a kid with a sling shot then no liability but that much damage-negligence existed somewhere while in Ford's/Shipper's custody.

And Ford's custody and control didn't end until you arrived at your local dealership to pick the car up. Yes the shipper is also liable but it is not an either-or. You can collect from Ford and then Ford can go after the shipper. Ford does not escape liability because they handed the car over to a shipper.
Talked to another one today. Its a big firm out of Charlotte that my work uses. They had a very different viewpoint. So for now I am walking the line of trying to get someone to be accountable for the damage they either caused to my vehicle or happened under their stewardship. If I exhaust all of that I will have to go another route. There are options which was a bright spot in an otherwise bleak picture.

I agree with you a few rock chips and I would have chalked that up to bad luck. This was just careless.

Thanks for the info.
Sponsored