2015 V6- Brake system failure

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 DIB, 2018 HD Iron 1200
All I can say is make sure you get an extended warranty. I had my brakes fail on this car last Saturday. Thankfully I was in a parking lot when it happened and not on the highway, or I wouldn't be making this post. As I was backing out of a parking spot after lunch that day the pedal did nothing at all, and luckily I was quick enough with the handbrake to stop it from rolling back into the other row of parked cars.

I had it towed to the dealer and they told me it was the brake booster that failed and it is going to need to be replaced. I only have the powertrain at this point, which I thought would cover all mechanical things other than A/C etc. :shrug: I guess I should have read the fine print, Ford got me there! Regardless, to have this fail on a 1.5 year old car is absolutely unacceptable. I've never had brakes fail on me in any car.

Repair is going to cost me 700+ on a basically new car. Obviously I need the car so I took it on the chin, but I probably won't buy Ford again unless they do something for me. This was my first new car too, HA!

Certainly have lost confidence in the vehicle, I doubt my family members will feel safe in it. Probably some POS part from China.

Just wanted to post to vent my frustration and hope someone at Ford reads this. Unfortunately another experience in life where I had to get screwed and learn a hard lesson.
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I would have taken this up with Ford. I had my fuel rail leak at 75K on a car that didn't have warranty after 36K (Subaru) and Subaru paid to replace it because I explained to them, very clearly, that even my 1968 Lincoln Continental that had never been restored doesn't leak fuel, and then proceeded to explain the health consequences of breathing in gasoline fumes through the ventilation system, etc. They did the right thing. Maybe Ford will. I mean things happen but that's kind of ridiculous to not cover.

Though... 36K miles in 1.5 years. Calm down there buddy! :)

OP
OP
six_shooter

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I sent some complaints into Ford but havent heard back yet. The tech did try to help me out a bit on the price, which I appreciated. I drive about 120 miles a day for my commute on the NJ turnpike.

I do appreciate the reply, my hope is Ford will respond by the time I'm ready to pick it up.

Right now I'm driving a Chrysler 200 rental. All around it feels bad man.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
That's abnormal which they should be gladly covering it for free for you. Just imagine if you got into an accident and found out it was caused by faulty brakes?
I had a Samsung dishwasher that turned on heater with no water in it after a failed sensor. Made tons of smoke. It's well outside of warranty and they repaired it for free. The last thing the companies want is a lawsuit caused by injuries.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Sad, really... when these things happen. I know the warranty is out but, barring any modifications to the brake system, the warranty was for 3 years or 36K. So he passed 36K but it hasn't been 3 years. Throw the guy a bone, Ford. Do it!

Sponsored

OP
OP
six_shooter

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the advice and kind words fellas. No brake mods. I really really like this car. Obviously this not only major letdown, but I will always been uneasy about the brake system now. I sent a complaint into Ford. I just want some acknowledgement from them that this shouldnt happen and would really like help from Ford on the repair bill.

I like to buy American, and like Fords, but honestly with this happening I would buy a Chevy or something for my second car when I need to.

Last edited:

Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackstangs.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
This thread makes my face go like this :eek:

I hope they resolve it for you!

OP
OP
six_shooter

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
They responded to me and appear to be escalating it. I'm not sure the rep fully understood the situation, but I will keep you posted for the result.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
[MENTION=14663]FordIVTteam[/MENTION]

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I will always been uneasy about the brake system now.
Just so you know in the VERY unlikely chance it ever happens to you again, a booster failure shouldn't disable the brakes, but it will increase the required pedal pressure so much its normal for someone to think they aren't working at all. So if it ever happens again, lay into the pedal hard with both feet.

Years ago, power brakes were often an extra cost option and it was basically just adding a booster, so a failure was just like not having the option. Disk brakes were the final nail in the no-power steering car's coffin since disks require more pressure to stop than drums for multiple reasons including that drum brakes can be designed so the shoes sort of wedge themselves into the drum surface.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Just so you know in the VERY unlikely chance it ever happens to you again, a booster failure shouldn't disable the brakes, but it will increase the required pedal pressure so much its normal for someone to think they aren't working at all. So if it ever happens again, lay into the pedal hard with both feet.

Years ago, power brakes were often an extra cost option and it was basically just adding a booster, so a failure was just like not having the option. Disk brakes were the final nail in the no-power steering car's coffin since disks require more pressure to stop than drums for multiple reasons including that drum brakes can be designed so the shoes sort of wedge themselves into the drum surface.
It depends. The electric pump booster on my FJ if fail would have no pedal pressure after a couple of pumps. The pedal just goes straight to the floor. Of course there is a visual audible warning indicator when pressure drops below certain value.
I actually hate the system because its very unpredictable and lack of feel. The brake pressure changes depending how fast you press the pedal which works in theory but not in real life as people moderate brake pressure while holding the pedal.

OP
OP
six_shooter

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I got an email this morning telling me to essentially pound sand. I mean I get that I am out of basic warranty, but this is not like A/C breaking. This is brakes failing. I followed up reiterating the dangerous nature of this failure. What's it really going to cost Ford to help me out? Oh well, if they choose to do nothing for me I will never, ever buy a Ford again.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
[MENTION=14663]FordIVTteam[/MENTION]
Thanks for mentioning, our awesome In Vehicle Technology Team, jasonstang! However, they handle our vehicle technology, like SYNC and such.

I got an email this morning telling me to essentially pound sand. I mean I get that I am out of basic warranty, but this is not like A/C breaking. This is brakes failing. I followed up reiterating the dangerous nature of this failure. What's it really going to cost Ford to help me out? Oh well, if they choose to do nothing for me I will never, ever buy a Ford again.
Thank you for the PM, six-shooter! I sent you a response.

Deysha

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
I don't know where they get $700 to replace a booster the part is +- $100 and could be be swapped out +- in an hour.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Thanks for mentioning, our awesome In Vehicle Technology Team, jasonstang! However, they handle our vehicle technology, like SYNC and such.

Thank you for the PM, six-shooter! I sent you a response.

Deysha
Sorry meant to use [MENTION=7992]FordService[/MENTION]
Sponsored