Sponsored

2015 Mustang versus next 6th gen Camaro

OKCfan

Classic good versus evil comparison :D Mustang being good of course :D

Sounds like the next Mustang and Camaro might come out just about the same time. 6th gen Camaro rumored to be coming in 2015/2016 just about same time new Mustang is due.

Camaro supposed to get smaller and lighter since it's moving to the Alpha platform. GM probably finally realized that the Mustang killing it in that category. So if the Camaro does really get smaller lighter and presumably better handling, what will Mustang have to do to keep its performance edge?

Also sounds like Camaro will lose its retro styling like next Mustang. This is setting up to be an epic battle in 2015/2016. Can't wait!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Yami

I think the Mustang is due earlier than the next Camaro at least according to rumors. But it doesn't matter that much because the development and engineering of the next Camaro will be basically done by the time the 2015 Mustang is introduced.

So there's only so much GM will be able to change to match or surpass the next Mustang at that point. But I'll place my bets on the next Mustang over the Camaro :)

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
The new Camaro is said to have a similar weight and size goal as our Stang. It will get interesting.

OP
OP

Yami

The new Camaro is said to have a similar weight and size goal as our Stang. It will get interesting.
Which is already a nice weight and size not like the overbloated current Camaro.

Besides the IRS, anyone heard or know of any other chassis/suspension type changes for next Mustang? The Camaro supposed to be going on that smaller/lighter (and probably more nimble) Alpha chassis.

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Camaro fanboys are saying it will be game over by the time it turns to the Alpha chassis. I say we wait and see and stop being so hopeful. :p

Sponsored

OP
OP

groundnpounder

Camaro fanboys are saying it will be game over by the time it turns to the Alpha chassis. I say we wait and see and stop being so hopeful. :p
They say the game is already over even in current generation :rolleyes: Are any GM cars already on the Alpha platform that we can look to for how good it is?

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
The Cadillac ATS is and it weighs in at 3461 in V6 trim. It is actually a pretty good car but it is no BMW 3-Series killer (as much as it kills me to say that).

Personally I think the Camaro will add a little weight to the equation but not much. But with Ford going roughly 300 LBS lighter, I think team Ford will smell victory yet again.

OP
OP

groundnpounder

The Cadillac ATS is and it weighs in at 3461 in V6 trim. It is actually a pretty good car but it is no BMW 3-Series killer (as much as it kills me to say that).

Personally I think the Camaro will add a little weight to the equation but not much. But with Ford going roughly 300 LBS lighter, I think team Ford will smell victory yet again.
Didn't know the ATS was that light. Pretty impressive for its size. I dunno how it performs but its got cool Olympics commercials :)

I hadn't heard that the next gen mustang was going 300 pounder lighter that would be amazing! Just pure rumors or pretty solid info?

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Pretty solid info.

Try this on for size: the F-150 will be roughly 700 LBS lighter than the current generation, utilizing aluminum for its sheet metal instead of steel. It may not be as rugged, but hey, it doesn't rust.

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Ford is on a weight-saving crusade right now in order to meet the retarded CAFE requirements.

Don't get me started on CAFE. There is nothing government-related I hate more than the 2025 CAFE standards.

Sponsored

westy

Threads
Reaction score
Can we compare a car that isn't out yet? I mean, all we really have is rumor, wrapped in mystery, and surrounded by conundrum.

Might as well compare leprechauns to unicorns. Unicorns are way better and have been known to use their horns to grill leprechauns like shish-ka-bobs.

westy

Threads
Reaction score
That's too bad. You just as much said the Mustang sucks. The Unicorn was the Mustang in this scenario. Way to turn on the good guy, thed!

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
But, what that pot of gold won't get you is the girls. I'd trade a pot of gold for some Unicorn-lovin girls any day. :D

westy

Threads
Reaction score
Well, fortunately for you, girls love to drive Mustangs.
Sponsored