Sponsored

2015 GT350 For Sale at Mecum

GRTWHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 SHELBY GT350
Well, in reality, the hammer price was $115K, but the buyer paid $126.5K after the 10% commission. So, you weren't as far off as you thought. :thumbsup:
Starting to sound like Wayne Carini?? The commission fee is on both sides of the sale, and Mecum has a history of lowering those fees for both the buyer and seller in order to get the car sold. Not saying it happened here, but it can happen.

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
Starting to sound like Wayne Carini?? The commission fee is on both sides of the sale, and Mecum has a history of lowering those fees for both the buyer and seller in order to get the car sold. Not saying it happened here, but it can happen.
There were no negotiations at the time of this sale.

Will we see a 2015 R at Barrett?
There is not one listed on the docket, and all the spots have been filled.

GRTWHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 SHELBY GT350
There were no negotiations at the time of this sale.
Commissions have no bearing on the price of the car. Historical pricing of any car at auction is based on the hammer price, which does not include commissions. This car sold at $115K. That will be a part of the sales history for the 2015 Shelby at auctions in the future, but I do agree that the purchaser probably paid full commission on this car.

Sponsored

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
Commissions have no bearing on the price of the car. Historical pricing of any car at auction is based on the hammer price, which does not include commissions. This car sold at $115K. That will be a part of the sales history for the 2015 Shelby at auctions in the future, but I do agree that the purchaser probably paid full commission on this car.
The commission absolutely can have some bearing on the price of a car, because it affects the seller's net. If a car hasn't reached its reserve price, the auction company can cut the commission to the seller so he or she nets the required amount. So, if a car with a $100,000 reserve sells at a hammer price of $96,000 because the commission to the seller was reduced, the buyer gets a better deal and that's the price that's reported.

GRTWHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 SHELBY GT350
The commission absolutely can have some bearing on the price of a car, because it affects the seller's net. If a car hasn't reached its reserve price, the auction company can cut the commission to the seller so he or she nets the required amount. So, if a car with a $100,000 reserve sells at a hammer price of $96,000 because the commission to the seller was reduced, the buyer gets a better deal and that's the price that's reported.
I am not disagreeing with what you saying, but we are not talking about the seller's net or buyer's overall costs. We are talking about the hammer price, which is the price used for auction comparisons. Whether they cut their commission (which I stated in a previous post can happen) to either the buyer, seller, or both, it does not change the fact that price of the car, is in fact, the hammer price.

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, F10 BMW M-Sport 2019 GT2
There was a 2015 DIB Tech package Shelby on Ebay not to long ago (different serial number), that was listed for $149K. Don't know what happened, if it sold at that price or lower, or didn't sell at all. There was also a OW 2015, Track package that was advertised at $86K, and I am sure it sold at or close to that amount. So maybe somewhere in between - $115K.
Great guess !

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
On another day in a room with a different group of bidders, this still-in-the-wrapper GT 350 may have sold for more. Mecum was moving a lot of cars today, but there weren't many high-dollar vehicles offered - so who knows how many high-dollar bidders were in the room. This "new" GT 350 was the No. 3 seller for the day (and the auction so far), not far behind a used BMW i8 and an Audi R8 that pretty much were retail sales.

However, the results still show that there were at least a couple of bidders that thought this GT 350 was worth almost double its MSRP. I think anyone with a 2015 or 2016 GT 350 for sale in the January auctions will do OK, and I still don't think we'll see dealer selling prices going down anytime soon.
I could be wrong but I believe this car went for more than double it's MSRP and after speaking with one of the final bidders shortly after this car went it could have actually gone higher as this individual wanted to bid $117,500 but somehow communication with the bidders assistant was not clear and the hammer dropped at $115,000. He was not a happy camper.

After watching and seeing the eventual winning bidder in action I suggest that he would have bid whatever it took to purchase this car.

In any event the crowd certainly seem to perk up considerably up once the reserve was lifted with bidding increasing another $20,000 after that point.

:cheers:

Last edited:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Point well taken but at the end of the day the purchaser did pay $126,500 for this GT350 which does set a precedent for future sales for this particular model of car.

Really not much different than what takes place every day in real estate industry with respect to price comparisons for home sales.

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
I could be wrong but I believe this car went for more than double it's MSRP and after speaking with one of the final bidders shortly after this car went it could have actually gone higher as this individual wanted to bid $117,500 but somehow communication with the bidders assistant was not clear and the hammer dropped at $115,000. He was not a happy camper.

After watching and seeing the eventual winning bidder in action I suggest that he would have bid whatever it took to purchase this car.

In any event the crowd certainly seem to perk up considerably up once the reserve was lifted with bidding increasing another $20,000 after that point.

You're right, the car did sell for more than twice its original price of $56,970, but not until the last bid of $115,000. It's hard to believe that the bid at $117,500 wasn't recognized, with both the bidder's assistant standing next to the bidder and the auctioneer watching both active bidders. I wonder if the bidder told the bidder's assistant he was done and then decided to get back in at the last second, just a beat too late. That happens all the time at these auctions - if you hesitate, you lose.

The crowd always loves it when the reserve is lifted and there are multiple bidders in play. It would have been interesting to see what happened if both bidders battled past $115,000.
Sponsored