Sponsored

2015 GT PP -TICK/SCRATCHY/GRINDING noise(Issue Gradually Going Away)

OP
OP
Nemesys

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
Just want to drop this thread in here:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13908&page=3

Same sound...broken flywheel... dangerous situation. That dealer LISTENED to the customer and found the issue. Maybe I should have it towed to them.

I have 800 miles, this condition didnt hit this forum member until 1600. Im driving with the same symptoms and problems that WILL happen in the future. This is a safety concern.

I was doing freeway speed in 5th and went to change gears into 6th when it seemed like the clutch just stopped engaging. I pulled off and tried to go from a dead stop where the clutch would bite for a second then just slip leaving the car going nowhere. I can even disengage the clutch while in any gear at a dead stop and the car wont stall. I have 1600 miles and Shorty's and tb for mods. Towing it to ford as I type this. Very disappointed at this point:frusty:
Broken flywheel . ford servic has been in contact with me about it trying to get se info and expediting the new flywheel because they're on backorder. They were generous enough to pay for the rental I currently have however
Video below is from user SilverBullet09

[ame]
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nemesys

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
Sent the service manager an email not to crank the vehicle. Im going first thing in the morning and driving an hour to be there for this issue. Will update with my video of the whole thing.

JM7225

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT 350
Sent the service manager an email not to crank the vehicle. Im going first thing in the morning and driving an hour to be there for this issue. Will update with my video of the whole thing.
You are videoing it? If you need to get the law involved, might not be a dumb idea.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT

Good luck.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
It could be the dual mass flywheel, but some of the previous gen Coyote engines were known to be a little noisey (light oil, dual overhead cams, VCT phasers). My car was one of those noisey ones. My noise was somewhat similar, on the passenger, rear portion of the engine. It was best heard from the wheel well or when parked next to a wall for the noise to reflect. I personally pinpointed the noise down to something in the passenger engine bank exhaust valvetrain for either cylinder 3 or 4. You could hear the noise at the bell housing, but after further probing, I was led to the cylinder head and header area. I fixed the issue by adding an entire bottle of Redline break in oil to two consecutive oil changes (yes, it's fine to leave in). Again, these Coyote engines are a little noisey, and some more than others. They can be a little more noisey than the 4.6L 3V engines, to which you should know.

Take a look into tick noises for 2011-2014 GT's engines. It may or may not be your issue, and be warned there are TSBs for the previous gen cars (yours should have none of those problems), but looking into the past history may help you in some way. Just an idea. I can tell you after 36k miles of daily driving, autocross and track days my cars engine operates fine (2012 GT). If it goes, I still have warranty (I have no powertrain mods, only suspension), but it shows no sign of doing so.

Sponsored

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
the people in this thread that are hearing this noise. what are the specs on your car?

the one that had a failed flywheel was a v6.

nemesys?

silverspoon. you are a gt correct?

anyone else.

beers

OP
OP
Nemesys

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
Great news.

So this morning I arrived at the dealer at 7am. Was greeted and told to hold tight in waiting room while the Service Manager grabbed techs assigned to my vehicle. We walked out to the cold car that had sat out and the tech cranked it up. It was really damn cold so the car took over 6-7 minutes to idle down a little bit. Another 5 minutes went by and during this time Im thinking Im about to look like an idiot if the car doesnt make the sound Ive been able to repeat in my driveway for over a week now. The car completely idles down and not one noise. Just as I was about to say something the noise triggered and all the techs looked at each other and they all came to an agreeance that it sounded like the throw out bearing. Finally, they all heard what the video has been showing and what Ive been trying to get them to hear. I understand that nobody typically would wait 10+ minutes for a car to idle down, but this could EASILY be missed by techs or a Service Department that is a bit in a hurry. If a TSB is created for this, they REALLY should advise the techs to allow the vehicle to sit for at least 15 minutes or longer in colder temps.

POOPonYOU

I Do Stupid Well
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
Sweet! Finally the techs know you're not crazy...lol! What a relief.

JM7225

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT 350
So what did they say are the next steps? They should just replace that throw out bearing today and see if it works if that's what they think it is.

OP
OP
Nemesys

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
So what did they say are the next steps? They should just replace that throw out bearing today and see if it works if that's what they think it is.
He said it may take a while if the part isnt readily available, since 2015 parts are on short hand. I totally understand that. I want it fixed right. If the part takes more than a few days to get (which could run into next week) Ill need to just take the vehicle back until the part comes in.

However, since Ford has approved me for a rental Id rather not and just leave it there until its fixed. Ive been driving my girlfriends 2010 mustang in the mean time, but I will have to get back to work next week. And im about to make a road trip to Raleigh.

Sponsored

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 301A A10, Modded N/A 1993 coupe 5.0L
Mine do the same noise. I put stabil in the fuel for winter stotage. Ran it for like 15-20 min in the garage when I came back I hear the noise and knew right away it was a tob noise. Just barely put the clutch in stop the noise.

My 93 5.0 always did that noise. They even change the clutch and tob under warranty in 95. When I bought the car in 96 it was doing the same noise and it was not even a year past that they did the warranty work. I went back to the dealer and this time they did not want to pass it under warranty.

I own this car for nearly 20 year and stil own it. In some condition it still do the same throw out bearing noise. Since it has a adjustable clutch cable I can make it stop with a little bit of a preload on the tob but on the 2015 it is hydraulic so no adjustment possible I guess.

I put many clutch in my 93 and each time I change the tob but everytime the noise came back in a couple hundred miles. I learn to live with that and a bunch of my friends who had the same car did get the same noise.

For now I don't think I am bringing it to the dealer just because I do all my thing by myself and don't fully trust them but if the noise get worst I guess I will have to do it. After all I don't have to pay for a warranty problem.

I have a right front door that is sticking a bit inside the fender so when I open the door the fender is at a hair to contact the door and I may try to fix it by myself because again because I don't like to let my car to people I don't know especially dealer. My car was a retail order and I had close to 45 km (28 miles) to the odometer when I took delivery! I advise them not to let a salesman or other drive my car when she arrived and they told me now problem it is a retail order but still my salesman was not finding the second key because another salesman had it! So no trust!

Getting back to the tob problem. Unless the noise get really loud and/or feel like metal to metal noise there is not to much to worry . It is certainly not a big problem but still should be fix.

It is sad that cars so new (mine is only 200km) is having that kind of a problem.
I would have think Ford with all those years experience with v8 will have fixed problem like that.

That being said I am happy to hear that it is getting taking care for and hope it will be fix promply has this is not fun to hear noise from a brand new car.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nemesys

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
But it is sad that a car so new (mine is 200 km only) is having that kind of a problem.
I would have think Ford with all those years experience with v8 will have fixed problem like that.

That being said I am happy to hear that it is getting taking care of and hope it will be fix promply has this is not fun to hear noise from a brand new car.

Take it in, let them fix it. When people just let problems slide and Ford doesnt know about a possible issue they assume problems are for a few vehicles and not a lot. You are hurting others by not taking it in under warranty and not making them fix the problem. Please do it. You better believe each and everytime the problem happens I will be taking it back. 24,000 miles for me to call the Lemon Law. Ford will fix this problem.

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 301A A10, Modded N/A 1993 coupe 5.0L
Take it in, let them fix it. When people just let problems slide and Ford doesnt know about a possible issue they assume problems are for a few vehicles and not a lot. You are hurting others by not taking it in under warranty and not making them fix the problem. Please do it. You better believe each and everytime the problem happens I will be taking it back. 24,000 miles for me to call the Lemon Law. Ford will fix this problem.
Thrust me Ford gonna know pretty fast the problem. People comming to this site and making comment are counting to maybe less than 1% of the total 2015 Mustang owner across America and it seem that many already encounter tob noise.

But you are right people should bring the car to the dealer to get it fix and I am encouraging people to do so.

Last edited:

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
It is things like this that make me think twice about the Manual Transmission. I know this forum only represents a fraction of ownership but it still brings up a concern. If Ford went to the 8 Speed Auto it would be a lot easier for me to decide, but who knows when that will be. I have a good while before ordering so most of these new issues will be worked out by then. I told myself after the 2010 Camaro SS was sold that my next would be an Auto, and I should probably listen to myself. I just love the feel of going through the gears and listening to that exhaust, that is the biggest thing keeping me from the Ecoboost. With a tune the Eco would have all the power I need, but hey it would not have the 5.0 on the side and that exhaust note.....:cheers:

OP
OP
Nemesys

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
No update from the dealer or my Ford CSM. Guess we'll see what happens tommorrow
Sponsored