Sponsored

2011-2014 Mustang GT 80mm TB How-to

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Fuse - I dont need one, but I've had a tuned Mustang before (the 4.0 Ranger motor), and it was quite an improvement. Its hard fighting the urge to unlock the potential of what's under the hood.
Sponsored

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
I ported my own manifolds. Ive ported a number of heads and intakes in the past so this was a piece of cake. Be careful on the injector bumps...it can get thin in there...i actually birnt through on a couple runners and had to back up the holes with jbweld on the outside. Also, i made mine big enough that i had to port match my heads :p i felt some gains....i know a retune should help...but ive been driving on them un retuned for months lol. So im really hopibg theres power to be found with a retune
20160923_155259.jpg
20160923_135329.jpg

WhyNot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang V6 6-speed
does anyone know the dimensions of the stock tube, visually it looks like its the exact size as the opening, but if it is smaller i will switch the stock tube for a custom 3.5'' intake tube.

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
I just measured the opening on the stock tube and it came to 3.25". The 5.0 tubes opening is 3.5".

BTW, heres a pic of the 3.7 and 5.0 tube sitting side by side. The only thing I can think of doing to make this bolt up right, would be to cut off the rubber end that connects to the TB at an angle, and use a coupler.

http://i.imgur.com/1Dyaf1M.jpg

Even with using the 5.0 tube, it wont look close to factory and will look pretty gross with all the extra hookups for the sound tube and PCV (I think thats what the one on the left side is used for).

Last edited:

WhyNot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang V6 6-speed
Thanks for the info, unfortunately i can not see the pics you posted, but 3.25'' is good news than since it is actually bigger than the TB opening its self.. if it is 82.5mm in diameter it just clears the opening enough to where hopefully it isn't restricting anything with this stock tube set up. Thanks again for your input and I look forward to seeing the gt tube set up as i plan on going that route after your r&d.

Sponsored

WhyNot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang V6 6-speed
Hmmm... I finally got the pic to display and I see what your saying, would that rubber part flex enough to connect? it looks like it can possible be compressed enough to work.

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
I changed the pic to a link. Photobucket doesn't let me log in using my phone, so I had to use Imgur.

I need to pop my hood and see how this will line up. Even with the 3.7 TB in place, I'll be able to see what's doable. I meant to do it this weekend, but my winter beaters transmission went out, so I was car hunting. Even then, this thing will be ugly sitting in there. But my goal is to see if it'll work, not for it to look pretty.

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Corrections to measurements. I double checked the gaps, not using the metal tab holder on my tape measure. I started at the 2" mark and found the stock tube to have an opening of about 3" and the 5.0 to have an opening of about 3-3/8". Sorry for the previous misinformation. I wish I had some caliper guages so I could get a more precise measurement.

Stock tube
http://i.imgur.com/VIK6r6b.jpg

5.0 tube
http://i.imgur.com/l0RTlel.jpg

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Premium 51A, GT 18"wheels, spoiler
I'm sure I'd love it. But...warranty....and Ford provided an 8 year extended one for free because of issues.

...I had to check Craigslist. There's a SCT x4 7015 listed at $200 and only 30 miles away.....
I'd watch buying a used SCTx4 there was a posting a while back were he bought a used SCTx4 pluged it in and screwed his ECU up.

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
Just got mine today. Yours looks cleaner than mine. Shapeway spacer and the coupler also came but the coupler looks too big! I bought the 4 inch and it is way bigger than the throttle body opening. Im still waiting on the aluminum tube. Maybe I need to purchase 4 inch to 3 inch coupler reducer? Can someone give me a direction? I live on a small Island and we don't have these kind of things readily available to purchase. Most of the stuffs are ordered off Island so would like to get the right stuff off the bat.
Thanks
Rika
Guam huh, do you guys have any home supply places like Lowes or Home Depot? They should have adapters made out of rubber to adapt one size plumbing drain to another. If they have the right size it could get you on the road until you can order the correct one online.

Sponsored

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
Well my TB came today. Did anyone mention that this thing is huge? Cause it is but is surprisingly light. It also makes some noise if I shake it but only if i shake it sideways. Looks pretty good, better than the stock picture on ebay (that thing looks like it has been around the block), but I do need to clean a bit the inside of the back as there is some black stuff there (grease? oil?). It rubs off with my finger though. Alas I don't have a garage and the weather is still cold so I'll wait for spring to complete this.

Mine and "fordguys550" throttle bodies make the same noise, his works but I haven't tried mine yet, but the noise seems common. Some guys probably had it and didn't notice. See how fordguy checked his for operation in posts #230 and #231.

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Mine and "fordguys550" throttle bodies make the same noise, his works but I haven't tried mine yet, but the noise seems common. Some guys probably had it and didn't notice. See how fordguy checked his for operation in posts #230 and #231.
I went back and read the posts. Good to know that mine isn't the only one making noise. Did you happen to open yours yet and see what is making the clanking noise?

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
mine only clanked when shaken in 1 direction...probably just some slop in a drive gear or something. im not worried about it. been driving on it for a week and its working perfectly. probably just "normal noises" lol

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Yep mine only made noise when shaken in one direction. It probably is just normal noise then. BTW I noticed in your pictures you weren't wearing a jacket. Can I import some of that cali weather here in the east coast? Trade you some snow for it.

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
hahaha...we had snow a week ago, now its sunny and 60 lol
Sponsored