'17 V6 Build - I bought a Mustang?!?!?!

GeorgeC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
I've been wrenching since before I could drive (legally) and I've been license for going on 30 years. I've owned / built everything from my first car (67 SS Chevelle - a 10 second street car when that actually meant something) to all gen F-Body's, G-Body's, A-Body's, and the last one was a Honda. What?

Let me explain. I wanted a daily driver that was fun to drive and that I could play with. My kid is grown. My requirements were 2 doors and manual transmission. Didn't want new at the time and the prev gen Mustang didn't do much for me (driving wise). Ended up with a '11 Accord Coupe V6, 6 speed manual. 278HP bone stock believe it or not. Modded enough to be capable of 12 second 1/4 mile times (never got a clean pass with the drag radials, TPMS / Traction control related). Then an idiot drive took a left turn in front of me last week. Car totaled.

So the hunt was on. I have several buddies in to Mustangs. One of them convinced me to drive one of the '15 up cars. So I found a '16 EcoBoost 6 speed car locally and drove it. I can understand the attraction to the turbo'd 4 and I don't doubt they can be monsters with small mods + tune - but wasn't my cup of tea.

HOWEVER - the car itself - I couldn't believe I was driving a Mustang. Color me impressed. So I started looking a little deeper. Ended up scoring a new '17 6/6 Mustang Base in Magnetic Metallic the price of what used '15-16 Ecoboost were going for. (Under $22K OTD)

So I started researching forums and found this one. Did plenty of digging / reading already. And some things just sort of fell in place in regards to modding the Mustang, even before I officially took ownership. (Took it home Halloween night).

Going to pick up a '17 GT 3.55 carrier (5K mile take out) for a good price Saturday morning. Thinking this will be a GREAT move up over the factory 3.15 gear set.

Planning to pick up a used aftermarket GT Cat back exhaust this afternoon as well.

Already ordered the Energy Suspension bushing to tighten up the trans mount. Drop in air filter (AFE) on the way as well as the Steeda clutch spring.

Might wait until Black Friday to score a tuner and possibly the MCT tunes - likely won't tune it yet. Need the tuner to adjust for the gear change.

Only thing I know for sure the car is getting soon is wheels / tires and tint. If I could score a decent set of 18" GT Wheels I'd go that route (and paint them black more than likely) but they are scarce around here and if I include shipping, I can just buy a new set of AMR 18x9 Black wheels.

Well that and a shifter.

I got my Hurst Alum T handle to work with the stock shifter last night. Had to keep adjusting the lock nut so the reverse lockout would function. I've had the T-Handle on EVERY manual transmission car (every one of my daily drivers) for at least 20 years. It just works for me. I've tried weighted knobs and everything else and keep coming back to the plain old T-Handle. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

But the handle didn't fix the absurdly long shifts. So right now I'm wavering on buying the Boomba Racing shifter or the Steeda short shift lever.

Right now nothing special - just a stock '17 V6 in Magnetic.

The plan is to drive it and beat on it everyday and mess with it along the way. I hope to get some stock dyno readings once the car is broken in (Already have 130 miles on it). It'll get more than its share of 1/4 mile passes at the local tracks come Spring I'm sure.

tofxW1D.jpg
I presently have a 19 GT. But I did have a 16 v6 with 355 gears did 0-60 in 5.4 the GT does it in 4.6. Your gonna love that 3.7 motor stock it's 300 horse with a 6500 red line stock. There are so many directions to take with that motor and still have a fast dependable car. There is a kit you can buy to convert it to an ecoboost motor. You can go procharger and if you look around there's probably a lot of other stuff to do good luck and enjoy your Cyclone. If you do supercharge it don't ask me to race I don't want to lose to a 3.7.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I presently have a 19 GT. But I did have a 16 v6 with 355 gears did 0-60 in 5.4 the GT does it in 4.6. Your gonna love that 3.7 motor stock it's 300 horse with a 6500 red line stock. There are so many directions to take with that motor and still have a fast dependable car. There is a kit you can buy to convert it to an ecoboost motor. You can go procharger and if you look around there's probably a lot of other stuff to do good luck and enjoy your Cyclone. If you do supercharge it don't ask me to race I don't want to lose to a 3.7.
I liked the 3.7 - bought a new '19 GT 6 speed almost two years ago.