Sponsored

'17 Mustang PP (India) Speaker Upgrade- Long Review

Nik_Ind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang 5.0 GT Coupe
Hi All! (Long and boring thread warning :p)

I wanted to share my thoughts on a recent install I did on my Mustang. Before I begin, I wish to thanks [MENTION=20499]mumbles[/MENTION] for all the help and advice provided to me till date! He has been very patient with me, and I can't thank him enough. That being said, I also wanted to pay it forward to this forum for all the helpful information I've come across.

I have another thread where I've mentioned about my subwoofer and speaker upgrade, but this one is solely going to be for the 6.5" midbass in the doors; hence, did not wish to club them. I'll also be posting impressions on previous installs that did not work, or sort of worked, so please bear with me:)

My current set-up:-

4" Focal ES 100 components (install was very tricky!)
6.5" Mid-woofers SO Audio 165 2.8 http://www.soaudio.de/165.html
6.5" Focal IC 165TOY Rear
2 RF Subwoofers P2D4 10" paired with a Focal FPP mono.

Pre-requisite: Running them off the OEM amp! I wasn't keen on going through the process of installing an aftermarket amp, and I was also optimistic that I would find something that could really sound good without replacing it!

1st trial: I purchased a pair of Tang Band drivers from Parts Express. Did not have much knowledge so it was kind of an impulsive purchase. As a result, they did not work AT ALL. They had a very low QTS, and sensitivity which proved to be the worst that my system has ever sounded. Unfortunately, I could not return them. But lesson learnt.

2nd trial: Then I bought a pair of Focal 165 coaxials, thinking they would be better considering it was a mainstream brand. Again, there was little to zero midbass! I ran them for a few weeks to break them in, but even after that, they were below average. It is after this that I started researching more, and learnt about T/s parameters etc., which in turn helped in my search for a decent set of replacement.

3rd trial: Next, I picked up a pair of Pyramid W64 woofers. Yes, the parameters fell in place! Also, I had read good review about them so it wasn't much of a risk/investment. Initial impression was average at best, but the quality was slightly better than the stock woofers. After a few weeks, they did start shaping up, but then, that itch of wanting more!

4th trial: Prior to this, the doors weren't treated with sound deadener or foam, and I had come across a mixed bag of opinions. Nevertheless, I decided to give it a shot (Dyanamat Xtreme), and I was nothing but impressed! The amount of bass, and overall quality of music it resulted in was pleasantly surprising. It finally seemed like it was all set.

5th trial: Just for the sake of it, I decided to put back the stock woofers after about 3 weeks, to see how they sounded. Big mistake! They sounded better than the Pyramid midbass :lol: We all know what happened next!

6th trial (FINAL): Yes! Yet again! Another quest for a BETTER set of woofers. It was astonishing how the stock woofers sounded that good, and I knew there had to be a better set than those paper cones! I got in touch with [MENTION=20499]mumbles[/MENTION] yet again, where he guided me and recommended a couple of drivers to try. Sadly, I wasn't able to source them which led me to an installer here in India who only deals in premium products. He suggested me to try a pair of midbass from a company called SO Audio (link above). Never heard of it! And I was very skeptical, to say the least. To top it off, they were expensive ($350). Well! I couldn't resist, and I pulled the trigger on these.

Initial impression- WOW!! They sound fantastic! I wasn't expecting it at all, but I can tell you these are the best drivers I have had till date. A couple of hours of listening, and started to open up more. The installer says they'll take about 10-12 hours to really shine, but I am so happy right now! Also, these are only being powered with the OEM amp as of now. I have a Helix waiting to be installed, but I'm going to keep running them as it is for a bit since they really sound that good! Also, the rear Focals complement them really well! I have the fader set more towards the front, but they work so well that I've been listening to my music without the subs for the past 2 days! Can't wait to see what the Helix amplifier would do later :headbang:

Also, I can't stress enough as to how essential sound deadening is! Was never aware that it could result in so much difference, but I shall always advocate for it, going forward.

Anyone have any questions on my set-up, please feel free to ask!:thumbsup:

Again! I apologize for a really long thread, but I wanted to make sure that anyone just starting to upgrade, or not satisfied yet, would benefit from this, and hope to save some of their money in the bargain.
Sponsored