Sponsored

15 GT vs 12 GT Drag Race (video)

El_Jefe_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 BOSS 302
Edge out slightly, looks like s197's vs s550's are gonna come down to the driver, with the s197 with the advantage due to its lighter weight.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
S197 FTW at the dragstrip!

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Eh If I wanted to drag race I'd buy a R/T Scat Pack. You get inside of a S197 it's cheap and dated. I'll take a S550 any day

jimmythepage666

zoom zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sean
Vehicle(s)
Subaru wrx
Ouch...

The s550 really would have done well with more power, mods will be needed just to keep up with the s197 on the street. Roll races will most likely have the same outcome. I'd be shaking in my boots if I lined an s550 up next to an ss or even an r/t...that's no good. My old '12 5.0 was very quick, it ran a 12.6@111 stock and with a few bolt ons, I'm sure it was a bit faster. I wasn't really afraid to try and race anything. Srt8 392, ls3 vette, 1le/ss, m3, c63, ect. I didn't win em all but it was very close with all of those cars and that's good company. The irs and chasis improvements are great and all, but the straight line performance is a let down. Let's hope some mods can open these cars up.

If the gt had 40ish more hp, that run could have been a mid 12 with better weather and track prep. That's where the car should have been stock imo. Then a few mods would see 11's, and on stock rubber to boot.

Fingers crossed for a good hp update in the next year or so, ford still has my attention with the gt350, and new Ford gt rumors though.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Hmmm, so will we have to wait for DI until the refresh ('18MY?) or will it come before then??

Threads
Reaction score
Are any of you going to keep your cars stock? If you're on this site then probably not. The s550 has more powa potential due to the revised coyote, so that's all that matters.

Great vid though by AM, those guys sure listened to everybody and came through

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
I just don't get this DRAG MEANS EVERYTHING mentality.....on a track I'm sure the S550 will smoke a S197. The car is no longer a drag car. Jeez the fast and the furious street racers amuse me

Sal JC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Canceling my order immediately.. I will not drive such a slow piece of garbage.

buRNout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0, Oxford White, saddle
Are any of you going to keep your cars stock? If you're on this site then probably not. The s550 has more powa potential due to the revised coyote, so that's all that matters.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Probably more than you think, at least until the warranty runs out. I know mine will get nothing more than royal purple after break-in, catback exhaust and maybe a mild Ford tune as long as it doesn't mess with my warranty. I average about 200 miles a day, about 65k miles a year and trade every May. Well, November now. Point is, for people who don't have a road course or autocross track within a reasonable distance and will only utilize the straight line acceleration for an occasional smile, this sucks. For those who actually depend on these cars for daily use, that warranty is a big sacrifice. I am not knocking modding. Just saying that it's not as common as it seems when on this board. I have built 6 show/performance cars and yes, it's fun. But terribly expensive. Not that great of an option, especially when you just paid $42k then sink another 5-6k, none of which will be worth a dime on trade in.

Sponsored

buRNout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0, Oxford White, saddle
I just don't get this DRAG MEANS EVERYTHING mentality.....on a track I'm sure the S550 will smoke a S197. The car is no longer a drag car. Jeez the fast and the furious street racers amuse me
Come on Brent, "fast and furious"? Most people I know who are disappointed about this are people who were raised at the local 1/8 mile strip because that was the only place for car guys to hang out. They race, their dad and grandpa raced and one family, the sisters drag race. It's really all we have here. I am not degrading the car, I am praying mine will come in tomorrow. It is dramatically better than the s197. Saying everyone who cares about those 1/4 mile times is a "fast and furious racer" (thought that was drifting?) is an inaccurate generalization. And what is with this thought pattern that drag racers are club carrying, unsophisticated dummies? Last time I checked, my local drag strip is populated by retired gentlemen who have the same Malibu SS they got for graduation or whatever. All the civics, altimas, scion and Rx-8s with the double barrel fart cannons, tribal graphics and enough neon for 6 roadhouses are usually parked at the mall with their stereos bumping. Nothing wrong with that either but they are two different groups.

I am not picking you out Brent, I am just tired of the generalization. I love drag racing, I was raised on a farm, I used to run the ER in Crocodile boots, I listen to gospel music and I am a RN with multiple degrees and too many trauma and cardiac certifications to keep up with. Not really in the ricer category. The last car I built was a 760hp 383 stroker in a 1940 Ford pickup. Sorry for the long rant guys but can we please just stop with the damn name calling and finger pointing because of someone's preference? The mustang has a long history in drag racing and will continue to attract that crowd whether you like it or not.

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Come on Brent, "fast and furious"? Most people I know who are disappointed about this are people who were raised at the local 1/8 mile strip because that was the only place for car guys to hang out. They race, their dad and grandpa raced and one family, the sisters drag race. It's really all we have here. I am not degrading the car, I am praying mine will come in tomorrow. It is dramatically better than the s197. Saying everyone who cares about those 1/4 mile times is a "fast and furious racer" (thought that was drifting?) is an inaccurate generalization. And what is with this thought pattern that drag racers are club carrying, unsophisticated dummies? Last time I checked, my local drag strip is populated by retired gentlemen who have the same Malibu SS they got for graduation or whatever. All the civics, altimas, scion and Rx-8s with the double barrel fart cannons, tribal graphics and enough neon for 6 roadhouses are usually parked at the mall with their stereos bumping. Nothing wrong with that either but they are two different groups.

I am not picking you out Brent, I am just tired of the generalization. I love drag racing, I was raised on a farm, I used to run the ER in Crocodile boots, I listen to gospel music and I am a RN with multiple degrees and too many trauma and cardiac certifications to keep up with. Not really in the ricer category. The last car I built was a 760hp 383 stroker in a 1940 Ford pickup. Sorry for the long rant guys but can we please just stop with the damn name calling and finger pointing because of someone's preference? The mustang has a long history in drag racing and will continue to attract that crowd whether you like it or not.
Sorry it's late I didn't mean Drag Strip Racing as "F&F". I was talking about the mention of other times I've heard people complaining about "WHAT IF A CAMARO PULLS UP NEXT TO ME AT A STOP LIGHT!" or "I don't want to get embarrassed while I'm out cruising"

But I stand by being annoyed by people declaring the Car is Bad or not as fast as a S197 just because of a drag race. You can't base a car off of one event. They finally have made an all around amazing car.

Threads
Reaction score
Probably more than you think, at least until the warranty runs out. I know mine will get nothing more than royal purple after break-in, catback exhaust and maybe a mild Ford tune as long as it doesn't mess with my warranty. I average about 200 miles a day, about 65k miles a year and trade every May. Well, November now. Point is, for people who don't have a road course or autocross track within a reasonable distance and will only utilize the straight line acceleration for an occasional smile, this sucks. For those who actually depend on these cars for daily use, that warranty is a big sacrifice. I am not knocking modding. Just saying that it's not as common as it seems when on this board. I have built 6 show/performance cars and yes, it's fun. But terribly expensive. Not that great of an option, especially when you just paid $42k then sink another 5-6k, none of which will be worth a dime on trade in.
The occasional smile....err I dont think you or anyone else would be able to tell the 0.2 second difference on the street. How exactly would thst change the smile fsctor on the street?

And cstback plus ford tune would you (from what we've been hearing) make the car faster than a similarly modded s197 anyway. Catback and tune is not stock... if youre worried about warranty ford racing has quite a few delicious power mods on their list.

Sent from my SM-P905 using Tapatalk

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Ouch...

The s550 really would have done well with more power, mods will be needed just to keep up with the s197 on the street. Roll races will most likely have the same outcome. I'd be shaking in my boots if I lined an s550 up next to an ss or even an r/t...that's no good. My old '12 5.0 was very quick, it ran a 12.6@111 stock and with a few bolt ons, I'm sure it was a bit faster. I wasn't really afraid to try and race anything. Srt8 392, ls3 vette, 1le/ss, m3, c63, ect. I didn't win em all but it was very close with all of those cars and that's good company. The irs and chasis improvements are great and all, but the straight line performance is a let down. Let's hope some mods can open these cars up.

If the gt had 40ish more hp, that run could have been a mid 12 with better weather and track prep. That's where the car should have been stock imo. Then a few mods would see 11's, and on stock rubber to boot.

Fingers crossed for a good hp update in the next year or so, ford still has my attention with the gt350, and new Ford gt rumors though.
You do realize the MPH was the same between both cars, right? It will be a drivers race, stock for stock.
Sponsored