Sponsored

10r80 w/ Whipple 3.0 Questions

rin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium PP1 A10 w/ Stage 1 Whipple
Heyo, still learning more about the car so forgive me if some of these questions are simple.

I know it's recommended to start upgrading the trans at around 700-800 hp, but would it still apply if the car is a babied daily/weekend-only car? I'm planning on sticking the Whipple in soon which is rated at 750hp, and as far as supporting mods go, it looks like I just need OPGs and possibly a stronger trans. I don't plan on taking the car to the track whatsoever, it'll be city and highway driving with some rolls here and there.

Although, if I were to get it built, how much would I be looking at? I'm not really savvy, but I've been looking around and it looks like I'll need some clutches (McLeod, Suncoast). Is there anything else I'm missing? It's that or just have it built by a tuner shop. I'd also appreciate some links/threads if possible so I can come up with a list!
Sponsored

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
I wouldnā€™t be worried about either of those things with an off the shelf Whipple stage 1 kit (thatā€™s what it sounds like you have). Just throw it on and enjoy it. The first failure point will likely be catalytic converters, not the trans or oil pump gears.

mustangflanagan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
2018 mustang with sarge 2 whipple auto... had blower in at 9k miles car is at 56k miles, trans is def acting up bit everything else except some suspension squeeking in rear everything is good.

OP
OP
rin5.0

rin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium PP1 A10 w/ Stage 1 Whipple
I wouldnā€™t be worried about either of those things with an off the shelf Whipple stage 1 kit (thatā€™s what it sounds like you have). Just throw it on and enjoy it. The first failure point will likely be catalytic converters, not the trans or oil pump gears.
Puts me at ease. Although, at what point are the cats going to fail? Wouldn't I have to be really beating on it at a certain moment for that to happen or does it happen over time?

Sponsored

Cue_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Niko
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
From my knowledge your biggest issue on a 10R80 would be your clutch packs slipping which is usually around the 800+ whp range and the applicable torque for that build, I see ON3 turbo cars usually slipping around 13-14 psi on a stock transmission which with a return fuel system and bigger injectors you are probably in the 850 whp range and with an upgraded clutch normally they function pretty fine.

With the transmission I would worry if you start cracking 1000 plus horsepower before I would really start to sweat about it UNLESS you take your Mustang out every single day and do quarter mile pulls, obviously things will get worn out much faster.

Really OPG and Axles/Driveshaft is the only things I would consider as a guarantee for an upgrade if you plan on drag racing at a track on anything above a street tire. However the stock axles are fairly weak so I would put GT350 at minimum with a clutch pack.

Most off the shelf kits wither Centri or Rooted or even Turbo you can run at a normal level at the 700-800 horsepower and have no transmission problems from my knowledge and experience.

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Puts me at ease. Although, at what point are the cats going to fail? Wouldn't I have to be really beating on it at a certain moment for that to happen or does it happen over time?
Too much heat, and rapid heating/cooling, are bad news for the cats. I cooked mine in one afternoon. Iā€™d make a pull, shut down and review data logs, make another pull, repeat about a dozen times. I got P0420/0430 shortly after that.

If you are generally easy on the car with occasional pulls I wouldnā€™t be too worried.
Sponsored