10 speed auto transmission (10R80) S550 Mustang showing up in Microcat

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
My feelings exactly!

I really just want to see how the body will change
2017 Fusion lights or something similar are almost a given. Same with the bottom fascia look from the Fusion.

w3bb3r04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT
Im guessing it will be implemented in the new GT500 at the least. That will get the performance numbers lower than the Hellcats and ZL1. Without the auto, the 0-60 and 1/4 mile performance will be hindered. You need a good dual clutch auto to be competitive in those kind of numbers these days.

Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Im guessing it will be implemented in the new GT500 at the least. That will get the performance numbers lower than the Hellcats and ZL1. Without the auto, the 0-60 and 1/4 mile performance will be hindered. You need a good dual clutch auto to be competitive in those kind of numbers these days.
It's almost a guarantee for the Mustang as a whole across the model line-up.

Camaro and Challenger are running 8 speeds in their standard models. This would put the Mustang ahead of them and also in the same category as their special editions.

I doubt we see the 10 speed in the GT350 ever (considering it's only a manual anyway) but yah could see in the Mach 1.

they need to get rid of the catfish look asap.
You and me both dude...one of the reasons I waited. The front is just not attractive to me compared to the rest of the S550. Even the 2017 Fusion front is a huge upgrade in looks.

landscape-1452529930-ford-fusion-v6-sport-2017-1600x1200-wallpaper-01.jpg

I hope they just go a tad more aggressive with the fascia and also the lighting. Even the other night until this Mustang was up on me you couldn't tell what it was unlike say an Audi or Challenger or Camaro. Mustang needs a lighting set up that you can identify it from far away. The 3 tri bars just blend in till it's up on you.

Hopefully the full LED lighting and new DRLs make a new look for the car.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Actually if it has the same gear ratios as the GM unit...it has triple overdrives.
You might be right, as it's been a while since I worked with it. IIRC, 8th was barely an OD gear, and 9th and 10th were actually true OD.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
Any ideas how much this part will sell for and if it'll be an easy swap from the current auto?
Well, first i wanna see what a difference it makes compared to the current 6spd before I consider, but I'm interested as well

Sponsored

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
Both Ford and GM will build their own versions in their own factories :)
Since it's Ford/GM that means half the gears will have fitment issues and the other half won't work at all and cost thousands of dollars too much?

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
The reality is 10 speeds aren't likely to be worthwhile in a practical sense because they will include outrageously niche overdrive gears to allow computer calculated models to give a theoretical 'real world' MPG for fleet purposes.

If this was a purpose built race transmission, you might think it will be OK but we all know it will have fleet applications which means it's not going to work out with full 10 gear range in many of those vehicles.

In the real world, my experience with the ZF9 speed is there are basically no conditions which allow you to get into the high ranges. I can hit 8th under very specific conditions occasionally (maybe 1-2 times a week on the commute) and have hit 9th gear once ever, and I had to baby the car in perfect conditions to attempt it. The reality is things like road pitch, wind conditions, asphalt and tire condition, altitude/barometric pressure have small but appreciable differences in car handling which are just simply impossible for the transmission to overcome the rolling resistance in the top gears except in exceedingly rare situations. In my Jeep, the wind resistance alone means that it will basically never get out of 7th gear because by time you are going fast enough to use 8th, the wind alone keeps it in 7th to make appropriate power to maintain speed on the highway. I can 'trick' the car into 8th by using a slight decline at that point but that's it.

That's not to say it will be a 'terrible' transmission at all - just be prepared to have an 8 speed with extra parts. I'd be more excited to have a MODERN auto in the Mustang vs. some gear number envy.

TheRiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Boat
It's almost a guarantee for the Mustang as a whole across the model line-up.

Camaro and Challenger are running 8 speeds in their standard models. This would put the Mustang ahead of them and also in the same category as their special editions.

I doubt we see the 10 speed in the GT350 ever (considering it's only a manual anyway) but yah could see in the Mach 1.

Im sad

Whats the difference between the models? (mach1 and gt350)

You and me both dude...one of the reasons I waited. The front is just not attractive to me compared to the rest of the S550. Even the 2017 Fusion front is a huge upgrade in looks.

landscape-1452529930-ford-fusion-v6-sport-2017-1600x1200-wallpaper-01.jpg

I hope they just go a tad more aggressive with the fascia and also the lighting. Even the other night until this Mustang was up on me you couldn't tell what it was unlike say an Audi or Challenger or Camaro. Mustang needs a lighting set up that you can identify it from far away. The 3 tri bars just blend in till it's up on you.

Hopefully the full LED lighting and new DRLs make a new look for the car.
:thumbsup:

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
The reality is 10 speeds aren't likely to be worthwhile in a practical sense because they will include outrageously niche overdrive gears to allow computer calculated models to give a theoretical 'real world' MPG for fleet purposes..
Wouldnt multiple overdrive gears allow the optimal economy at different speeds instead of one ideal speed ?

So 8th for 50 mph
9th for 60 mph
10th for 70 mph
Or something along those lines ?

Might explain why current 8/9 speeds do not always shift to the highest gear ?

SnoopisTDI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 2015 GTPP, Recaros, 2004 Lexus GX470
Wouldnt multiple overdrive gears allow the optimal economy at different speeds instead of one ideal speed ?

So 8th for 50 mph
9th for 60 mph
10th for 70 mph
Or something along those lines ?

Might explain why current 8/9 speeds do not always shift to the highest gear ?
Probably more like 8th for 50mph, 9th for 50mph downhill, and 10th for 50mph downhill with a tail-wind.
Sponsored