Need Help!!! Brake Pedal Travel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT500
Good Afternoon All,

I had the brake pedal recall done yesterday on my 2020 GT500 and I'm having some issues. First issue was not brake lights unless I pressed the brake pedal fairly hard when stopped. Also, I believe I'm having brake pedal travel issues but I don't drive my car enough to remember. I'm going to try my best to explain what I'm noticing and what I've done so far until the Ford dealership opens back up on Monday. I'm just curious if the brake travel is normal for our cars.

Here's what I'm observing after the recall. First off when I brake in normal traffic I only need to push the pedal down about .5" or less. This doesn't seem or feel right to me. If I push the pedal down 1" I stop extremely fast. With the engine running and stopped I can only push the pedal maybe 2-2.5". It doesn't seem to have any travel. Maybe It was like this before the recall but I can't remember because I wasn't really paying attention to it. When sitting stopped in gear it just takes a light touch on the brake pedal to hold the car in place. The car will roll forward when I let off the brake.

The other issue was no brake lights that a police officer let me know I didn't have when braking. I should have been alerted to this when I noticed I had to step on the brake hard to start the car and put it in gear. Needless to say the officer wouldn't let me drive the car until I fixed the lights so I called a friend to bring me a dremmel and I ground a few mm of the tip of the brake pedal switch until the lights would come on with light foot pressure.

I will be taking the car back to Ford and give them hell for the headache. My biggest concern was the brake pedal travel distance being very limited or short.

If any of you could let me know what your brake pedal travel is during normal braking, moderate braking and when stopped I would appreciate it. Just need some ammo for my battle with ford.

Thanks for any help you can provide!!!
Sponsored

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
The best thing would be for you to sit in another 2020 GT500 and feel the pedal... how it compares to yours.

This is the recall process if you want to see what SHOULD happen:

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT500
The best thing would be for you to sit in another 2020 GT500 and feel the pedal... how it compares to yours.

This is the recall process if you want to see what SHOULD happen:

Thanks Sir!! Unfortunately there's only 1 other GT500 in town and I never see it. Our ford dealer doesn't have any on hand.

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Sir!! Unfortunately there's only 1 other GT500 in town and I never see it. Our ford dealer doesn't have any on hand.
I see you are in CA and will probably be locked down for the next decade, but when released, go to a big car show. I was at one today in TX and we had quite a few 2020 GT500s there.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT500
I just watched the video and there's really nothing that can get messed up. No telling why my brake light switch was not aligning properly.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT500
I see you are in CA and will probably be locked down for the next decade, but when released, go to a big car show. I was at one today in TX and we had quite a few 2020 GT500s there.
Thanks Goose!! Had to rub it in that you're in Texas lol. I actually spend 10 days a month in Midland checking on my work crews. One of these days I'll be able to get out of this sinking ship and permanently in Texas..

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
Check the stop light switch and make sure it is installed correctly.

I hate to even think of this, but make sure the clevis pin is going through the end booster push rod.
Grab the brake pedal and using very little force, pull out, the pedal should not pull out. If it does, the clevis pin is not connected the booster rod.

2020 Mustang Brake Pedal Bracket Fracture - Service Procedure

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT500

Svgcmann

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby gt 500
I am having that exact same issue , along with a“ hill start assist “ fault .

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT500
I am having that exact same issue , along with a“ hill start assist “ fault .
Yes I just got that message yesterday also. It seems like some of the replacement pedals have issues. After reviewing the service manual there's really no way to mess up the installation and nothing is adjustable so I'm a little lost. I'll be talking with my dealership today to see what they want to do.

Sponsored

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully they are installing the correct pedal!