Sponsored

BBK Varitune - killing drone

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I posted my self installation experience here awhile ago.

I also mentioned there was no or almost no drone. Maybe I didn`t know what it was. So, really, inside the cabin it was quiet so that I could hear and talk to passengers without raising my voice. It was not about loudness. It was some frequency inside and outside that sort of has some accumulative effect. It eventually feels like it's pushing into your ears. You do not notice it for the first couple of days, you hate it after a week, by the second week you get headache even after 15 minute drive. I didn't want to drive the car and was ready to revert back to stock mufflers.

It all started from my belief that I could make my stock exhaust marginally louder by sawing off stock tips and replacing them with tips of maximum possible exit diameter and length - kind of like musical instruments - flute, clarinet, saxophone - have deeper and louder sound with diameter and tip increase. I was hoping (and still believe) that tip alone would impact the sound level of sound system to some extent.

But then I thought that while I still had BBK varitune installed I might as well play with its tip and to see if it would make some difference. Stock GT pipe diameter is 2.5", varitune muffler exit is 3" and final single wall tip diameter is about 4".

I know some people weld some extra resonators behind aftermarked mufflers and that eliminates the drone. I didn't want to involve any welding and make the system any heavier. I also didn' want to change the system in any permanent way so that if I do not like results, I can return/sell varitune and rollback to stock.

I acquired 2.5" perforated pipe. Some exhaust adapters 3" to 2.5", ceramic wool of several formats (some loose wool, and some very dense wool), and steel wool (loose) with the intent to change characteristics of the exhaust tip.

Exhaust 2.5" -3" adapter was the thing that let me bolt 2.5 perforated pipe in and insert it into 3" muffler exit pipe. I then played with sound absorbtion materials to see what kind of configuration would have any impact. You'll see the final design I settled with. I also tried the following:

a) just inserting perforated 2.5 pipe into 3" muffler exit all the way almost to the end of the muffler tip. No impact of any kind.

b) wrapping the above pipe into very dense 2mm ceramic wool. Packing the place where 3 to 2.5 inch transition is very tightly. This basically transforms perforated pipe into a non perforated pipe. The drone outside is still present. You can feel it outside the car and inside the car with windows down. After closing windows I could tell that even the frequency was still present, it was greatly reduced.

d) Putting some thick ceramic wool around the end tip of 2.5 perforated pipe to seat the gap between the tip and the pipe and filling the rest of the void with some loose ceramic wool. I was also putting some sticky exhaust foil in the end (to seal the space between pipe exit and the tip) to make sure gases will not push the wool out as I drive.

Dramatic impact. The headache frequency is eliminated outside and inside. You could still feel maybe a tiny bit during engine cold start, for a minute, outside only, but after warmup it's gone.

I was happy as hell. After driving the car like this for a while I could definitely tell that the drone was coming back. I attributed it to ceramic wool being sealed by exhaust gase deposits/moisture.

e) in the design above replaced loose ceramic wool with steel wool. Left thick ceramic wool seal between the exhaust tip and 2.5" pipe in place.

The frequency is permanently and long term eliminated.

The foil fix wouldn't stay in place though... It stayed ok in (d) but apparently steel wool lets gases flow through much better and destroy the foil collar. Remains of foil somehow held wool in place though. In this configuration it was still killing that drone frequency just as good. So I replaced the foil with some non sealing solution and it stays in place.

I enjoy driving the car again!

P.S. forum says my pictures are too big to attach. So I'll pos the article without the pics and add them later when I resize them.

I can feel that this also killed some sound, but db measuring app does not support my assumption. It shows decibels at the same level. So this just eliminated particular frequency range. I still feel it being a little quieter.

I do have sound pipe removed. Inside cabin sound volume is pretty close to stock exhaust plus sound pipe.

P.p.s With the space between 2.5 inch pipe and the tip being not sealed, the whole system is probably less restrictive then just 2.5 pipe. So I think it should be still less restrictive than stock.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
This is the drawing to help visualize what changes I made. They are completely reversible.
SmartSelectImage_2018-02-04-09-29-50.png

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
didnt read that long post but feel good about my corsa for the last 3 years. :lol:

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Muffler exit without the tip attached, Muffler with the tip. 2.5"-3" adapter that demonstrates how the pipe will be attached to it. Pipe attached to adapter with dense ceramic wool. Pipe attached to the adapter and inserted into the exhaust exit pipe.
01-02.jpg
01-03.jpg
01-04.jpg
01-05.jpg
01-06.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
This is the first experiment with perforated pipe wrapped with dense thin ceramic wool. Thick wool is here just for support.

Second experiment externally looks almost the same - pipe wrap was removed, loose ceramic wool pushed inside with thick ceramic wool in the end of the pipe, supported with sticky foil.
02-09.jpg

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
This is steel wool (gray thingy) filled system with final supporting ceramic ring that I foiled in place. This picture was taken after the short freeway ride. As you see the foil didn't do well. The final ceramic wool is not really doing any job, but the drone is absent.
03-08.jpg

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Another picture of steel plus ceramic wool assembly.
03-07.jpg

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Final version supported without foil. Ceramic wool is not really necessary, so maybe in the future I'll remove it.

Aesthetically it is not final. I'll probably need some metal ring in the end.
04-10.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
didnt read that long post but feel good about my corsa for the last 3 years. :lol:
Per my research varitune, flowmaster at and legato were the quietest axlebacks, plus I wanted the sound that was similar to those three ones.

Most of those who complained on drone also removed stock resonators. So I considered myself safe as I have stock resonator.

Not advocating bbk... for car make/model specific application they should've done better job testing not just fitment, but sound quality.

Sponsored

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP

Ehh another punjabi, and i'm also very happy with my race catback from solo performance :headbang:

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Now after driving the car for several days, I can say that I'm happy with what I have.

- No drone.
- Sound level with closed valve is reduced and around level that I'm comfortable with. More sound than stock.
- I can open the valve and add some sound more if I wish. It's not at a push of a button, but still active system.
- Other systems with comparable sound levels are not adjustable.
- Other adjustable systems are $$$.
Sponsored