Sponsored

Dashcam location on 2018 GT (UK/EU spec)

drewzh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, Magnetic Grey, Magneride
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure if you guys in the US have the same setup in the 2018 with the collision avoidance/adaptive cruise control sensors/cameras taking up so much room behind the rear view mirror, but I'm really struggling to find a place to mount my Thinkware F750 dashcam.

Mounting the camera on either side (especially on the right as the mirror won't sit properly with the dashcam mounted behind it) just doesn't seem to 'work'. Mounted under the mirror would probably be an MOT test fail due to restricted visibility.

I'm thinking maybe another dashcam might be in order as I'm running out of options :(
37XXpXs - Imgur.jpeg
mlCTpGx - Imgur.jpeg
VL9pCmP - Imgur.jpeg
WSfgmIO - Imgur.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
drewzh

drewzh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
An update just in case anyone bumps into the same issue...

I wasn't able to find an 'ideal' mounting point on the UK spec 2018 GT. The drivers' side (right) behind the mirror was impossible as it would interfere with the rearview mirror adjustments. Under the plastic housing also wasn't an option as it's technically illegal in the UK due to visibility laws. The passenger (left) side and mounting under the black housing itself are the next best options in my opinion. I haven't mounted it yet, but I'm thinking of just mounting it to the black plastic housing. With the Thinkware F800, the captured image doesn't quite sit flush with the bonnet/hood, but it's 'good enough'.

I actually ended up buying another 3 cameras - a BlackVue DR750s 2ch, a Thinkware F800 Pro and an Aukey 2ch. The Aukey was a no starter as it didn't have a decent parking mode... the BlackVue I'm just not fond of and the Thinkware F800 is the best of the bunch in my opinion. It's sleeker than the F750 and the added networking features are a nice addition. I also noticed that there's now an English accent voice, no more questions about why my dashcam sounds American!

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
i have been debating a dash cam and was curious about the mounting location as i have the same safe and smart package.. In your opinion the f800 is the best.. i see a lot of blackvue. but i want something simple, how is the wireing..

OP
OP
drewzh

drewzh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
i have been debating a dash cam and was curious about the mounting location as i have the same safe and smart package.. In your opinion the f800 is the best.. i see a lot of blackvue. but i want something simple, how is the wireing..
The Thinkware has the battery voltage cutoffs controlled via software, on the Blackvue you need an extra bit of hardware (power magic pro I think it's called). I personally have a battery backup acting as an in-between power source connected to the car and the dashcam, which has automatic cut offs anyway. This allows me another 24 hours or so of 24-hour recording before it uses my car battery.

The Thinkware parking mode is just superior in many ways, for e.g, it announces how many events have occurred when you get back to the car. It also seems to handle the video splitting better. Video quality is pretty much the same with both cameras, there are pros and cons to both. I personally find the shape/build quality and design of the Thinkware to be superior. It's worth noting that when I selected the F750 previously, I was also reviewing the Blackvue RC650, which ultimately was returned in favour of the Thinkware.

The Thinkware also warns of speed cameras etc, which in England is a pretty big deal.

EDIT:
To answer your question though... you can forgo parking mode features and wire any dashcam directly to a cigarette lighter socket. To hardwire to the car and to get parking mode features, the Thinkware comes with a hardwiring kit that you connect directly to the fuse box with fuse adaptors (add a circuit/fuse - not included). With the Blackvue, you just need a bit of extra equipment to control the voltage cut off as to not kill your battery. Either way there's tons of information online to support installation.

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
british homes all have small windows isnt that depressing?

Sponsored

limited02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost
I have the Garmin Dashcam 55 and it was very easy to install in my Lincoln MKS and you'd never know it was there. However, my wife's CR-V had no real place to mount it for the same reason you show above and I ended up putting it dead in the center under the mirror. I see about half the camera when I'm driving, but after a short while you don't notice it anymore.

OP
OP
drewzh

drewzh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
british homes all have small windows isnt that depressing?
Now that you mention it :(

EDIT: I was going to make a joke about how it would be dangerous to have large windows with all the hot weather we have, but you know, thinking about it, it's probably because of the fact that we have such cold weather and glass isn't the best insulator.

OP
OP
drewzh

drewzh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Garmin Dashcam 55 and it was very easy to install in my Lincoln MKS and you'd never know it was there. However, my wife's CR-V had no real place to mount it for the same reason you show above and I ended up putting it dead in the center under the mirror. I see about half the camera when I'm driving, but after a short while you don't notice it anymore.
It's not an issue until after 3 years when it then has it's mandatory vehicle health inspection each year (though police could also pull you on it). After that, it's an instant failure due to visibility laws. I'm kinda waiting until someone is brave enough to remove the plastic housing and work out what's going on under there... maybe there's a way to mount a dashcam inside the housing itself... that would be neat.

In the meantime, I'm going to fix it to the black housing itself... the camera *just* about angles down onto the road... not perfectly flush with the line of the bonnet/hood, but close enough.

limited02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost
It's not an issue until after 3 years when it then has it's mandatory vehicle health inspection each year (though police could also pull you on it). After that, it's an instant failure due to visibility laws. I'm kinda waiting until someone is brave enough to remove the plastic housing and work out what's going on under there... maybe there's a way to mount a dashcam inside the housing itself... that would be neat.

In the meantime, I'm going to fix it to the black housing itself... the camera *just* about angles down onto the road... not perfectly flush with the line of the bonnet/hood, but close enough.
Good thing about the Garmin unit is, it has a magnetic mounting point. So when you go in for an inspection, just unplug and pull the camera off. I can post up what it'd look like if you want.

However, you might be onto something with modifying the existing housing to allow better room for the camera.

OP
OP
drewzh

drewzh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I eventually mounted the F800 Pro to the black plastic housing and routed the cabling to the Cellink B under the driver's seat. I did remove the housing from the windscreen, but there was no usable space behind it. Either way, it's all installed and a big weight off of my shoulders. I've included some photos in case it helps anyone.
MVIMG_20180708_140234.jpg
IMG_20180708_140259.jpg
MVIMG_20180708_140313.jpg
MVIMG_20180708_140441.jpg
MVIMG_20180708_181233.jpg
IMG_20180707_185855.jpg
MVIMG_20180708_183245.jpg
MVIMG_20180708_193944.jpg
IMG_20180708_194408.jpg
MVIMG_20180708_183941.jpg

Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I'm not sure if you guys in the US have the same setup in the 2018 with the collision avoidance/adaptive cruise control sensors/cameras taking up so much room behind the rear view mirror, but I'm really struggling to find a place to mount my Thinkware F750 dashcam.

Mounting the camera on either side (especially on the right as the mirror won't sit properly with the dashcam mounted behind it) just doesn't seem to 'work'. Mounted under the mirror would probably be an MOT test fail due to restricted visibility.

I'm thinking maybe another dashcam might be in order as I'm running out of options :(
What is that round sensor on the right side of your dome light housing? I've never seen that before.