Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Currently @ 2829 miles, not even on in its 1st oil change yet. :tsk:

All normal temp & fluid levels. Took it out for a quick trip around my neighborhood (GT is mostly garaged) and immediately heard it when I pulled up into my driveway. Did not notice anything out of the ordinary during start up & warm up while inside the garage. Definitely not an exhaust leak. :mad: Its pretty windy here ATM and it is very audible even outside.

Outside, driveway:
http://vid1134.photobucket.com/albums/m616/rvlyssup/20151110_124338_zpssm9uisym.mp4

Inside garage:
http://vid1134.photobucket.com/albums/m616/rvlyssup/20151110_125228_zpsblpdrgzn.mp4
20151110_124815.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP

All normal temp & fluid levels. Took it out for a quick trip around my neighborhood (GT is mostly garaged) and immediately heard it when I pulled up into my driveway. Did not notice anything out of the ordinary during start up & warm up while inside the garage. Definitely not an exhaust leak. :mad: Its pretty windy here ATM and it is very audible even outside.

Outside, driveway:
http://vid1134.photobucket.com/albums/m616/rvlyssup/20151110_124338_zpssm9uisym.mp4

Inside garage:
http://vid1134.photobucket.com/albums/m616/rvlyssup/20151110_125228_zpsblpdrgzn.mp4

Same thing I had...brand new motor had to be installed to get it fixed. PM me with any questions and read away below...

http://mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24612

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
That doesn't sound like th "igniter tick" I've heard. Sounds pretty faint to me, IMO.

OP
OP
rvlyssup

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Same thing I had...brand new motor had to be installed to get it fixed. PM me with any questions and read away below...
Appreciate it; I've been following your thread since you posted about it. I was hoping I'd be an exception; guess not. I'll let you know if I need any insight. :cheers:

That doesn't sound like th "igniter tick" I've heard. Sounds pretty faint to me, IMO.
I hope it does stay faint and disappears, and with no CELs popping up. Hopefully, it does not turn into loud slapping noises like the bad ones I've heard; an out of balance washer comes to mind. I get free oil changes for 2 years, it'll all be logged when I come in. Will also ask for 5w30 for my first oil change, we shall see if the dealership goes with it.

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I hope it does stay faint and disappears, and with no CELs popping up. Hopefully, it does not turn into loud slapping noises like the bad ones I've heard; an out of balance washer comes to mind. I get free oil changes for 2 years, it'll all be logged when I come in. Will also ask for 5w30 for my first oil change, we shall see if the dealership goes with it.
If you do go with 5W-30, would be interesting to see if it makes a difference in engine noise or not.

Sponsored

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
Appreciate it; I've been following your thread since you posted about it. I was hoping I'd be an exception; guess not. I'll let you know if I need any insight. :cheers:

No problem bud. I had to fight a long battle to get them to replace the engine but really the hardest part was just time.

Best tip I have for you is find a dealer and even a mechanic's name from one of the guys on this forum in your area to take your car to that can be trusted. I made the mistake of taking it to 3 different dealers in GA with the last one finally being the one i trusted to do all the work.

In that process i feel like my car got worse. In my thread it calls out after leaving one dealer, Wade Ford, I picked up a nasty engine grind/puffing sound; yet "nothing" was done to my car. Others I had finite scratches on my paint near the hood.

My final dealer, Hardy Family Ford here in Dallas, GA wound up being the one that helped me get Ford to listen and ultimately the only one I trusted to do my engine swap. So far, it's been OK. But the engine is young and only has about 500 miles on it.

Get your ducks in a row and follow the lemon law process in your state. Understand what a repair attempt is and log the days in the shop your car has. Keep your certified letters sent stating the problem as well as their soon to be bullshit response from Ford. Keep every service receipt.

Once the lemon law requirements are met, engage the BBB and send them copies (i stress copies) of every document Ford gave you. Don't stop until you get a field service rep to look at your car.

Good luck, and like before PM with any questions. But atleast get it to the dealer to document the sound and mileage because that is key in your defense, even if it goes away!

OP
OP
rvlyssup

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
If you do go with 5W-30, would be interesting to see if it makes a difference in engine noise or not.
I'll definitely update this thread.

Our ExSport takes 5w30 while the N/A EXs take 5w20. (same 3.5L V6) Aside from ours having twin turbos, i'd think all Ford performance motors would need thicker oil. :shrug: Again, we shall see...

No problem bud. I had to fight a long battle to get them to replace the engine but really the hardest part was just time.

Best tip I have for you is find a dealer and even a mechanic's name from one of the guys on this forum in your area to take your car to that can be trusted. I made the mistake of taking it to 3 different dealers in GA with the last one finally being the one i trusted to do all the work.

In that process i feel like my car got worse. In my thread it calls out after leaving one dealer, Wade Ford, I picked up a nasty engine grind/puffing sound; yet "nothing" was done to my car. Others I had finite scratches on my paint near the hood.

My final dealer, Hardy Family Ford here in Dallas, GA wound up being the one that helped me get Ford to listen and ultimately the only one I trusted to do my engine swap. So far, it's been OK. But the engine is young and only has about 500 miles on it.

Get your ducks in a row and follow the lemon law process in your state. Understand what a repair attempt is and log the days in the shop your car has. Keep your certified letters sent stating the problem as well as their soon to be bullshit response from Ford. Keep every service receipt.

Once the lemon law requirements are met, engage the BBB and send them copies (i stress copies) of every document Ford gave you. Don't stop until you get a field service rep to look at your car.

Good luck, and like before PM with any questions. But atleast get it to the dealer to document the sound and mileage because that is key in your defense, even if it goes away!
We go to Galpin Ford for all purchase, maintenance, & repairs. They aren't perfect (no one is really) but they do take care of us. I just hate waiting for word, last experiences were a little frustrating (mostly Ford being a PITA) but they do their best for us. Also PM'd [MENTION=7992]FordService[/MENTION] for escalation request. Again, I appreciate it. :thumbsup:

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
My car makes a very similar noise and It really is pretty minor. My concern (as is yours) is that it will get worse.

To those that eventually developed the "igniter tick"....did it start out faint and gradually get worse? Or was it just all of a sudden noisy one day?

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Also....where is the sound most pronounced? Mine is quiet as a mouse on the driver side but makes a little noise that can be heard from the passenger side wheel well.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

All normal temp & fluid levels. Took it out for a quick trip around my neighborhood (GT is mostly garaged) and immediately heard it when I pulled up into my driveway. Did not notice anything out of the ordinary during start up & warm up while inside the garage. Definitely not an exhaust leak. :mad: Its pretty windy here ATM and it is very audible even outside. ...
Hello rvlyssup,

Thank you for the PM. Please make an appointment with your Ford Dealer to get it fully diagnosed. Also, PM me with the dealership’s name. I’ll get back to you soon.

Deysha

Sponsored

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
Also....where is the sound most pronounced? Mine is quiet as a mouse on the driver side but makes a little noise that can be heard from the passenger side wheel well.
Mine was very loud on the driverside under body, specifically if you put your ear under the fender and in the wheel well.

Normally (and historically) they have been on the driver side but I have only read of a few people who had said theirs were seemingly coming from the passenger side.

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
You know I had the loud ticking sound from the top side of the engine and a wierd scraping noise but those sounds have now subsided (fingers crossed).
Some members have brought forth it could be the oil level being the cause. I still have the factory fill and have emptied my oil seperator catch can a few times now with a bit over 1K miles but the amount isn't anything one would consider enough to make a difference in the ticking noise, but who knows?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
You know I had the loud ticking sound from the top side of the engine and a wierd scraping noise but those sounds have now subsided (fingers crossed).
Some members have brought forth it could be the oil level being the cause. I still have the factory fill and have emptied my oil seperator catch can a few times now with a bit over 1K miles but the amount isn't anything one would consider enough to make a difference in the ticking noise, but who knows?
If it was an oil level problem, I would think having the level way over full might cause oil cavitation (crank whipping). Any level between the low and full marks on the dipstick should be AOK.

OP
OP
rvlyssup

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Hello rvlyssup,

Thank you for the PM. Please make an appointment with your Ford Dealer to get it fully diagnosed. Also, PM me with the dealership’s name. I’ll get back to you soon.

Deysha
Looking forward to it Deysha.

PM sent with dealership info.

OP
OP
rvlyssup

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Valve train noise is sorta common on these motors. I remember when the 03 - 04 Cobra motors had the infamous head tick and knew quite a few people with standard 4.6 GTs that would complain that they had the same problem. Again, my hope is it does not get any louder like a slapping noise. I ain't giving up on this car. She means a lot to me. ;)
Sponsored