Sponsored

2019 GT500 Mustang New Spy Video, Pics, Info

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Agreed. Otherwise people are going to complain they can't afford a much lighter carbon intensive car.
Agree, but this is exactly why 2 SE models could make sense. Mustang has one of the largest followings there are and there's plenty of high income earners, but as the price goes up it can't be just about performance. I think that is something Ford hasn't taken advantage of, offering a more all around extreme version. I could see an SE model that is supercharged about 680-700 hp, A10 trans, minimal lightweight material, and CF wheel options along with some other options and start around 67-72K (direct competitor to ZL1/hellcat). Then another SE stang like a TT 750+ hp car that uses much more CF and aluminum keeping weight around 3750lbs or less, a DCT trans, CF wheels and roof, with an R version (minimal options and weight think GT3 RS), and an upgraded interior option with all plastic wrapped in leather/alcantara that they sell (think 911 turbo). And I think they could start it around 82-85K, and let buyers choose their options and how much they want to spend. I'm sure it won't happen though!
Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
You're delusional if you think an S550 chassis with a TT or SC V8 and DCT (extremely heavy) is going to weigh 3,750lbs, or even under 4,000. Maybe if they go to a carbon roof, hood, trunk, and swap out the front and rear subframes or aluminum, MAYBE it would be sub 4,000 but that would be a $100K car and I doubt anyone would justify that price for that weight of a car. Turbos, SC, corresponding cooling demands, coolers, fluid, lines, etc... Are heavy. I'd guess Ford would target a bit higher than GT350R to sub $90K. No way you're going to get light weight with a dct, turbo/SC, and keep it cool for a reasonable price.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
You're delusional if you think an S550 chassis with a TT or SC V8 and DCT (extremely heavy) is going to weigh 3,750lbs, or even under 4,000. Maybe if they go to a carbon roof, hood, trunk, and swap out the front and rear subframes or aluminum, MAYBE it would be sub 4,000 but that would be a $100K car and I doubt anyone would justify that price for that weight of a car. Turbos, SC, corresponding cooling demands, coolers, fluid, lines, etc... Are heavy. I'd guess Ford would target a bit higher than GT350R to sub $90K. No way you're going to get light weight with a dct, turbo/SC, and keep it cool for a reasonable price.
An expert, so what does a TT setup weigh? I thought it was about 150lbs or so. Which would put it with no weight loss around 4,000. If they wanted to do an aluminum unibody they could And it would save a lot of weight. According to an article a company did a full CF body and it saved over 400 lbs now that company has to charge a ton to do it, but as Hack has said Ford could do that for significantly less. Ok 90k to start and guess what there's plenty here that would pay it, if the product is damn good. Nissan managed to build a TT car with AWD and it was under 100k and it doesn't have anything to spread cost with. This is my point they could sell an all around extreme mustang for 90-100k or less and I bet it wouldn't have a problem selling.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I think what a fella in the know said they were shooting for under 4000 and hopefully they would get it there.

I can see the R version at around 1900 but thats with no back seat and no AC (if they even offer it), use of carbon bits. To get under that with all that cooling i'd be extremely suprised.

Would be nice if ford offered a car that competes with the corvette. Something 2 seat, smaller at around 3300lbs. Shoot, i really like those little lotus cars. 2300 lbs haha...just think what 400 HP in one of those is like.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
I think what a fella in the know said they were shooting for under 4000 and hopefully they would get it there.

I can see the R version at around 1900 but thats with no back seat and no AC (if they even offer it), use of carbon bits. To get under that with all that cooling i'd be extremely suprised.

Would be nice if ford offered a car that competes with the corvette. Something 2 seat, smaller at around 3300lbs. Shoot, i really like those little lotus cars. 2300 lbs haha...just think what 400 HP in one of those is like.
Ya what do you think the enitial base price well be? I'm think they are going to be competitive and start somewhere around 5-7k more then the ZL1. But how much lighter and better could a 2nd SE stang be if it was 20k more! Something that could truly compete with the corvette Z06. I know, it probably won't happen!

Sponsored

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
A Porsche turbo S (3600-3700) and Nissan GTR (3900-4000). Both TT, AWD, every luxury plus electronic device known to man. Neither have a Carbon Fiber body or wheels. So, I say a sub 4000lb super stang is very doable!

Also both those cars more than hold their own with far less than the 755+ hp we are hoping to see! So not so sure why everyone is so hung up on the weight issue!

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
The GTR is a $110K car (base). The 911 Turbo starts at $160K.

Both of which have 3.6-4L turbo 6s and a transaxle. A 5.0L V8 is much larger, weighs more, and the car has a separate transmission and diff rather than a single transaxle that combines both. A GTR weighs 3,900lbs and is an impressive car.

Just use common sense. The GT350 already weighs 3,760lbs. Add turbos or a supercharger, add the intercooler, DCT weighs about 100lbs more than a manual, then add the weight of the DCT ECU and wiring harness, a larger trans cooler (DCTs make more heat than manuals), and more trans fluid, a larger radiator and more water, and you're well over 4,000lbs.

Aluminum subframes are massive expenses and would push the car over $100K. Maybe we can get carbon hood, roof (like BMW, but unlikely), and trunk, but given that the old GT500 was nearly 4,000lbs with no DCT and smaller brakes than the GT350, I don't see how a new GT500 would weigh less than 4,000lbs. For those that think there's going to be an aluminum unibody for the GT500 or even the next mustang, I have nothing for you...

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Ya what do you think the enitial base price well be? I'm think they are going to be competitive and start somewhere around 5-7k more then the ZL1. But how much lighter and better could a 2nd SE stang be if it was 20k more! Something that could truly compete with the corvette Z06. I know, it probably won't happen!
I think it will start at 67 and end at 77. For regular and im hoping its under 4000 lbs.
KR, add 8 K and i have a good feeling that one will ring in around 3950 possibly a little less.

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
I think it will start at 67 and end at 77. For regular and im hoping its under 4000 lbs.
KR, add 8 K and i have a good feeling that one will ring in around 3950 possibly a little less.
Hopefully we aren't expecting to much? Fun to speculate just maybe Ford will step up and over deliver!

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Hopefully we aren't expecting to much? Fun to speculate just maybe Ford will step up and over deliver!
HOPING Ford does something that WOWs us.
Hamidi knows its gotta be special, lets see if they hit this one out of the park.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Thanks for getting the juices flowing. Always nice to read someones take on it.
When she mentioned 3500 lbs i kinda laughed and stopped reading.

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
Thanks for getting the juices flowing. Always nice to read someones take on it.
When she mentioned 3500 lbs i kinda laughed and stopped reading.
Funny, the longer it takes Ford to let us know something the more hype the car will have to over come! Kind of like the Bronco. There are some awesome looking concept images people have done of what the Bronco should look like. No way it will live up to those images!

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
thePill just PMed me and said that according to his Ford contacts, the new GT500 will be called the GT550 (for S550, and that it will actually make 550tq at the GT350's 8,250rpm which = 864hp! And 8+6+4 = 18, so it will be sold at the end of next year).

His insiders mentioned it will be a a 427ci (7L) V8 to pay homage to the infamous 427, and will be a twin turbo and supercharged V8 and AWD with a hybrid motor powering the front wheels. Best of all it will weigh 3,400lbs from a full carbon fiber chassis taken from the Ford GT and will be priced less than $85K.

Can't wait!!!