Sponsored

GMs Twin Turbo V8

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Sounds like a great engine!

The Caddy state of tune is a little too torquey for my taste, but it would be fun to drive. I hope GM puts this in the ME vette with a sportier tune.

It would be awesome if Ford had done this first. Not the greatest time to be a Ford fan when they are coming out with yet another supercharged V8 in the GT500 (at least according to current rumors). Yawn.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I really, really hope Ford go a similar route, but there's no evidence they will :(

Just for old time's sake, a 4.7 TT V8 (289ci) capacity would be superb.

C'mon Ford :ford:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I hope GM puts this in the ME vette with a sportier tune.
I think you can bet the farm on that.

GM didn't develop this thing for a few thousand high-end Caddy sales alone. Plus the hot-V orientation is perfect for a ME car.

Sponsored

williamwally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 gt
I think you can bet the farm on that.

GM didn't develop this thing for a few thousand high-end Caddy sales alone. Plus the hot-V orientation is perfect for a ME car.
This

It's probably the opposite where it was developed initially for the ME Vette and will also be put in the Caddy.

It sure seems like this ME Vette could be a game changer.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Meh. I was expecting more for a twin turbo v8 considering what Ford is able to do with a twin turbo v6. GM late to the party again, and still behind IMO.
IMO the TT V6 is MEH. It doesn't matter how much power you make when the vehicle sounds like garbage.

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
IMO the TT V6 is MEH. It doesn't matter how much power you make when the vehicle sounds like garbage.
Yup, you're right, sounds pretty garbage. Lol.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
This is actually going to be the mid engines 2nd best offering, but is also said to also have an electric motor driving the front wheels. The top tier engine will be a 5.5 TT.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yup, you're right, sounds pretty garbage. Lol.
If you can drive around with the engine at full song, it will be acceptable, but that will only happen on a race track.

During idle and cruise - complete garbage soundtrack.

I understand Ford wasn't trying to make a car that's especially enjoyable to drive. Their top priority was winning LeMans. So they had to use a TT V6 from their DP cars. The styling of the car is also amazing. I'm not saying the GT is a poor car by any means. It sounds terrible though.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I don't think the GT sounds that bad, but a TTV8
..especially the 5.5 will sound much better.
Love the look of the GT but for 500k and no chance of getting an allocation, and v6 ... a big turn off.
I'm looking forward to seeing what GM can do with this ME car. should look ok, obviously not as nice as GT, BUT, the performance should be off the charts and for 1/3 the price of the GT with better performance. Its a wait and see, but I wouldn't expect much longer than the GT500... LA or Detroit

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
I don't think the GT sounds that bad, but a TTV8
..especially the 5.5 will sound much better.
Love the look of the GT but for 500k and no chance of getting an allocation, and v6 ... a big turn off.
I'm looking forward to seeing what GM can do with this ME car. should look ok, obviously not as nice as GT, BUT, the performance should be off the charts and for 1/3 the price of the GT with better performance. Its a wait and see, but I wouldn't expect much longer than the GT500... LA or Detroit
I don't really care what either engine sounds like. My point is the GM 4.2 tt v8 puts up some pretty weak numbers considering what Ford can extract from a 3.5 liter v6 tt. A 4.2 v8 is going to have a torque advantage based solely on displacement and number of cylinders, but the fact that it has like 97 fewer horsepower with two turbos is just lame. Cool tech, poorly executed.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I don't really care what either engine sounds like. My point is the GM 4.2 tt v8 puts up some pretty weak numbers considering what Ford can extract from a 3.5 liter v6 tt. A 4.2 v8 is going to have a torque advantage based solely on displacement and number of cylinders, but the fact that it has like 97 fewer horsepower with two turbos is just lame. Cool tech, poorly executed.
sure, I agree the numbers are low for a TTv8.
I'm looking forward to seeing what their 5.5 puts out. Ive seen on a leaked document it won't exceed 850hp. I'll guess around 800 is where it'll end up.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's obvious from the numbers (550 hp, 627 ft-lbs of torque) that the engine has little turbos and it's tuned for torque and not ultimate hp. For a heavy luxury car set up for the streets and not the track, this is a good way to go.

If you look at a HP calculation and you enter 627 ft-lbs at 6500 rpm, you get 776 hp. At 7500 rpm you get nearly 900 hp. The Ford GT makes a lot less torque (647 hp and 550 ft-lbs), but the torque carries out to a higher rpm to get more peak hp.

That's why I mentioned the state of tune. If this engine can make that much torque, with the right tune it could potentially make a lot of power.
Sponsored