Sponsored

To those who moved from a '15-'17 to 2018 - forward visibility (hood)

OP
OP

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I never had visibility issues with my 16GT, however, you can certainly tell where the hood/front-end “ends” more easily with the 18, IMO.
Yes. This is what I was trying to get at with my question.

Almost 3.5 years later and, while I am used to it and deal with it fine, I still find parking and nosing around in tighter parking lots more painful than it should be because it is difficult to ascertain exactly where the hood/front ends.
Sponsored

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
I've never driven a 18, but find it difficult to fathom that a hood/front end which slopes down more is somehow easier to determine where it ends. I've driven plenty of econoboxes where you can't see the hood, and you have a "sense" of where it ends, but those front ends are far shorter than the S550s by default. Driving my 68 mustang (with the built in hood turn signals done right, you can see both) I can see the entire hood and know where it ends. I dont see a benefit in the sloping down of the hood being a visibility benefit for situations like parking. But that's just me.

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Conv, Perf Pak, Borla Sport Axleback
Realize that our long hood is essential to the classic Mustang look. Sure, it could be lower and shorter with better forward visibility...you know, like the Probe?

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I find the hood shake comments interesting and I've read similar comments on it in other conversations. Most seem to claim it's most noticeable at speed. I'm wondering how fast that is? I've not noticed it on my 2016 GT so far. I've had it up to speed a couple of times but maybe not fast enough. I've also got the convertible which if anything, should be more susceptible to this. Just wondering.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
On my 2017 GT I noticed the hood shake around 130+. I didn't really notice at all with my 2014 GT.

It happens around 90 mph+ on my Explorer too.

Obviously, only on a closed course. ;-0

Sponsored

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
Realize that our long hood is essential to the classic Mustang look. Sure, it could be lower and shorter with better forward visibility...you know, like the Probe?

:lol::lol::lol: :clap2::clap2::clap2:

not knocking on 18's its grown on me for sure. But sloping it makes the front area look smaller. Look at any side profile of the 18's, they are the same length but look shorter up front. Mustang needs long straight striking lines up front. Our cars have fabulous fat a$$es but it looks disproportionate to a smaller *looking* front end

18s look more like an XK, which is still a complement

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I find the hood shake comments interesting and I've read similar comments on it in other conversations. Most seem to claim it's most noticeable at speed. I'm wondering how fast that is? I've not noticed it on my 2016 GT so far. I've had it up to speed a couple of times but maybe not fast enough. I've also got the convertible which if anything, should be more susceptible to this. Just wondering.
Faster speeds.

A lot of it is mitigated by setting the bump stops correctly. Mine was pretty bad initially and after making a few adjustments I really only notice it over 100 or so.

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
On my 2017 GT I noticed the hood shake around 130+. I didn't really notice at all with my 2014 GT.

It happens around 90 mph+ on my Explorer too.

Obviously, only on a closed course. ;-0
Faster speeds.

A lot of it is mitigated by setting the bump stops correctly. Mine was pretty bad initially and after making a few adjustments I really only notice it over 100 or so.
I've had mine into triple digits a couple of times but nothing close to 130. I also didn't stay there long so if the hood shook, it wasn't much or I just didn't notice. One thing I'd really like to do is a top speed run somewhere. Not on public roads of course. There are Youtube videos of guys running their Mustangs to full speed on the German Autobahn. I'd love to do that just once for the experience.

STex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67,69 ram air and 72 GTO
I've had mine into triple digits a couple of times but nothing close to 130. I also didn't stay there long so if the hood shook, it wasn't much or I just didn't notice. One thing I'd really like to do is a top speed run somewhere. Not on public roads of course. There are Youtube videos of guys running their Mustangs to full speed on the German Autobahn. I'd love to do that just once for the experience.
Check out the once a year west Texas mile speed run.

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Check out the once a year west Texas mile speed run.
Thanks STex, I did a little searching and found the one in Victoria. It sounds great. I read through some of the technical requirements and it's looking like they're wanting a bit more from me than I'm willing to do. I don't have a problem with the safety clothing. I'm a long time motorcycle rider but my current helmet is not Snell certified so that'll be a significant investment. I'd have to buy the racing drivers gloves they're talking about. I don't have a problem with that. I've got a complete set of padded riding gear I use on the motorcycle. I don't know if they'd accept that. It would be something to check in to but I wouldn't be surprised if the answer was no. Where they lose me is, because I've got a convertible, they're requiring a roll cage. No way am I going to make that kind of investment for a one time only run done more out of curiosity than anything else.

I may go down and check it out though. According to the web site, the next event is in October. I appreciate the response though! :)

Sponsored

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
How do some of you's sit in your 15-17's? Seat reclined way back elbow out the window one hand at 12 on the wheel looking all gangster? IF anything the 18's would be harder to judge where the nose is. Also wouldn't expect visibility to be much different at all.
I judge my 16 by the hood vents, on my old S197 had a big ram hood, so the 16 is no real surprise to me
Surprised the 18 is that much different to be honest, when over in the US in 2 weeks I need to sit in one :D

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
I get that, however even with a dead flat hood you have pretty much the same visibility out front. And really when you driving, you should be looking far beyond the hood.
This is how I feel as well. For the first week, I was seeing the hood a lot, but since then it was a non-issue. I know where it ends so I park accordingly. It is not my concern what is 6 inches in front of my car when out driving it, so I do not know how the longer hood presents visibility issues to be honest. I can see out of it just fine, the C-pillars is where I have the most problems (or where the C-pillars would be since it is a soft top).

Personally I love the "long hood" feel, reminds me of driving a 60's Mustang. Just my preference though.

GT-SV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
No hood shake observed on my 2016 up to 105 mph. I’ll have to try a 2018.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I get it on mine starting around 70-80 sometimes, right now I can't hit 130+ due to the limiter but I imagine it'd be even worse that high.

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Conv, Perf Pak, Borla Sport Axleback
Thanks Austinj427 for the tip on the hood bump-stops. I adjusted mine up 3 turns each and the hood flutter is gone!

Another note on forward visibility...the hood bra shown in my avatar has a “lip” along the rear edge which I see from my driving position. This is an indicator that I have 18” of car beyond that point. I know many here don’t like the bra but it’s saved me from stone chips for sure and gives my white Mustang a more sinister look.
Sponsored