Sponsored

Rear Deck-lid Panel & Emblem Help

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
So I am looking at buying a replacement rear deck-lid panel and I want to put a chrome batman emblem on it. I have a few conundrums though.

1) Does anyone know where to find a batman emblem about the size of the factory pony? Ideally it would have the same mounting points but I am getting a new decklid so that I don't have to worry about ruining my factory one with 3M tape if need be. The best I have found so far is here:https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Large-Emblem-Dark-Knight/dp/B06Y17K1PG/ref=sr_1_16?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1497460921&sr=1-16&keywords=batman+emblem

It says its stainless steel which might be ok but I think I would prefer chrome and its 5.75" wide and I think factory pony is 6"+ so it would just be slightly smaller which might be ok.

I feel like this would be pretty easy to manufacture with a CNC so if someone would be willing to do that I would be willing to pay :)

2) How easy is it to swap the rear deck-lid panel? The videos online make it look stupid easy but then I've read some people saying it is kinda tough to get it undone and others saying they dented their car doing it? Just looking for anyone with experience doing it. My thought in buying a whole new deck-lid panel is that I will be able to swap them back out once I find the batman one cheesy and I just want to make sure this is a reasonable assertion.
Sponsored

5PointSlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
1) Ebay has a bunch.

2) You need to use some muscle to get the decklid panel off and I'd try avoid tools as much as you can. I used a plastic trim pry tool to get started at each end then pulled slowly to the center. It helps to have a friend hold the trunk still while you remove the panel.

OP
OP

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Muscle part is where I am worried/confused. The videos make it look simple and decently easy so I can't figure out what is the difficulty? I saw one video where they used a plastic pry tool and some painters tape and took it off without removing the carpeted liner. This is realistic?

I just don't want to purchase a replacement deck-lid and then go to start the install, only to realize I have a greater chance of causing more damage then I am trying to prevent.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
I take the carpet off so I can disconnect the camera before pulling the decklid off. I don't want to mess up the connections. I put three layers of painters tape on the trunk behind the decklid to not mar the paint and to try to absorb some pressure. I use a flexible wide panel tool, the "blade" is like 3-4" wide. Slip behind the decklid at the edges and pop it out. It doesn't take much force and I haven't marred the paint or bent anything at all doing it 3x (my car and others)

5PointSlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
The clips are pretty easy to get off with a trim tool, but take some effort to remove the clips without its leverage. I didn't want to have the tool on my car for any more time than necessary so I just pulled

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

The Muscle part is where I am worried/confused. The videos make it look simple and decently easy so I can't figure out what is the difficulty? I saw one video where they used a plastic pry tool and some painters tape and took it off without removing the carpeted liner. This is realistic?

I just don't want to purchase a replacement deck-lid and then go to start the install, only to realize I have a greater chance of causing more damage then I am trying to prevent.
It takes a little effort, but be careful you don't pry or tug too hard. The sheetmetal attached to the decklid is oh so soft. I actually dented mine a little. Luckily, you can push the dent back in fairly easy. Don't notice it now.

Keep in mind, the two clips in the middle of the decklid that attach to the body are plastic. Too much force and they will break and you'll have a gap when you fully install your decklid. Just take your time and you should be okay.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I just bought the MMD decklid panel for my car and its currently on the way. I too thought it was just a simple install due to the video I saw but looks like its going to be a bit more complicated lol.

Dsquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP LB
I take the carpet off so I can disconnect the camera before pulling the decklid off. I don't want to mess up the connections. I put three layers of painters tape on the trunk behind the decklid to not mar the paint and to try to absorb some pressure. I use a flexible wide panel tool, the "blade" is like 3-4" wide. Slip behind the decklid at the edges and pop it out. It doesn't take much force and I haven't marred the paint or bent anything at all doing it 3x (my car and others)
^This^..exactly how I removed mine as well.

OP
OP

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok so looks like I will have to find one of those wide trim tools, as my best option.

I have the new decklid panel on the way just need to buy a batman emblem now. I was originally thinking going with a chrome one to match my factory emblem and the chrome window trim and silver-ish front grill but, I feel like more people think black (or off black) would end up looking better.

What is everyone else's thoughts on the matter? Chrome or Black(/off black)
:ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
Ok so looks like I will have to find one of those wide trim tools, as my best option.

I have the new decklid panel on the way just need to buy a batman emblem now. I was originally thinking going with a chrome one to match my factory emblem and the chrome window trim and silver-ish front grill but, I feel like more people think black (or off black) would end up looking better.

What is everyone else's thoughts on the matter? Chrome or Black(/off black)
:ninja: :ninja: :ninja:
I'm all about matte black emblems on gloss black paint! But I also hate chrome. So that's a thing

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase

Lost Cosmonaut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Fastback - Oxford White
Trim tools are indispensable for working with interior pop clips.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP

ChristianDev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT MT
Does your decklid rattle? Mine is flimsy and rattles and a couple layers of painters tape underneath sounds like a good idea

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Just got mine installed. I didnt use any pry tools and i didnt remove the carpet, i just muscled the decklid out and my advice is......dont do it this way lol. If you are not careful you could easily break the camera wiring. Other than that, not too hard at all.
Sponsored