Anyone fixed the rear bumper gap?

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
This looks terrible for a brand new car. I know other have had the issue. Just wondering if anyone has removed the rear bumper and been able to fix whatever is causing this? Probably going to take it off soon.
File Jun 27, 21 01 17.jpeg
File Jun 27, 21 01 29.jpg
Sponsored

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
damn thats bad .. id take that right back.. its prob the plastic hold ins on the side lower qp behind the bumper..thats the only thing that holds that part in

EvilRoosterJr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Waylon
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver 2015 V6
This looks terrible for a brand new car. I know other have had the issue. Just wondering if anyone has removed the rear bumper and been able to fix whatever is causing this? Probably going to take it off soon.
Did you end up taking it back in to get fixed? mine looks exactly like it but I would like to make sure it'll get fixed before I take off work and make the trip.

OP
OP
RockStang

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
I forgot about it until now lol. I was traveling for work and then Mustang Week. Going to call them tomorrow and see when I can take it. Thanks for reminding me.

EvilRoosterJr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Waylon
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver 2015 V6
I forgot about it until now lol. I was traveling for work and then Mustang Week. Going to call them tomorrow and see when I can take it. Thanks for reminding me.
No problem, keep me posted!

Sponsored

dotJake

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sdyoung.com
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum GT Premium
Yep. My '17 had it, too. Dealer popped bumper cover off and got it to look better. Said to get it perfect would require additional effort maybe including repaint it. I told them good enough. No need to open more worm cans.

Here's what I had. I think the lighter paint showed more gap but it's still unacceptable. Ford's been making cars longer than most... should have this stuff nailed by now.
IMG_1286.jpg

gtaindetail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Super common issue, they seem to be aligned improperly (one side has a gap, other is tight). I've left my alone for now, kind of terrified of the dealer making it worse. I may eventually drop the bumper to do an exhaust, but ya, just looks like an alignment thing.

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
i must have bought the only gt with no gaps in any panel.. lol .

its a super easy fix.. just plastic track like hold ins.. pop the tails out and look down inside the side of the bumper you can see if it grabbing the plastic or not..

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Damn still having these issues three model years in. Like gtain said mine is perfect on driver gapped on passenger. Same with front bumper. Dealer said that one is warped.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Just got my 17 and I can see one of the clips not clipped in on mine.
It seems like they did fix the bumper being too small issue as mine sits very flush to the metal on the side that's fully clipped in.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Yep. My '17 had it, too. Dealer popped bumper cover off and got it to look better. Said to get it perfect would require additional effort maybe including repaint it. I told them good enough. No need to open more worm cans.

Here's what I had. I think the lighter paint showed more gap but it's still unacceptable. Ford's been making cars longer than most... should have this stuff nailed by now.
I think it's more of a installation issue.

5LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt base 6spd mans transmission
My 16 only has a hood alignment issue. Hit or miss? Guess my car was made on a wednesday. Lol

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
My 16 only has a hood alignment issue. Hit or miss? Guess my car was made on a wednesday. Lol
I keep getting cars built on Friday.
They all have problems.
My 16 had wrapped trunk deck, paint issue, wheel paint issue, rattling, windshield glue issue.
My 17 has transmission whining issue, sheet metal issue, and rear bumper issue, door misalignment, and rattling.
So hard to get a completely good car from Ford seems like.

ccredbaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT premium w/PP
I guess I can consider myself lucky because all my panels are aligned and fit properly. But then Again, I turned down buying two other Mustangs that I inspected before signing the dotted line due to one having a misaligned hood and one having the bumper gap as shown by OP.
I know it's it's after the fact for most of you guys, but take your time at the dealership prior to buying, go over every inch of the car, inside and out and of course, take a test drive to check for rattles and wheel alignment, etc..
If we stop buying these imperfect cars off the lot, maybe Ford would rethink their quality control process!?
Sponsored