Waldial

Waldial
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Waldial
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Race Red
Gents - I purchases a CURT tow bar and tongue from Summit Racing in the US who post to Aust, cost me approx $700 to arrive. Tow hitch was rated to US standard SAEJ684. The Aust standard ADR62/02 is almost a photocopy of the US standard but I still had to have the tow bar Engineered (cost $200) A further inspection by the ACT Rego Office (another $64) was required but went through ok, insurance company also happy. If you buy one from the USA DO NOT get their plug in ECU as the plugs are different and they use the brake lights as turn signals plus no backup light. I purchased one locally and wired into the loom with no problems in the past 4 months. Towbar is barely noticable when the tongue is removed and was easy to fit, I fit the tongue if parking in a problem area. Holes are already in the Mustang chassis.
Sponsored

ssb

50 DARK
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Black 'vert GT & BMW M Coupe
Gents - I purchases a CURT tow bar and tongue from Summit Racing in the US who post to Aust, cost me approx $700 to arrive. Tow hitch was rated to US standard SAEJ684. The Aust standard ADR62/02 is almost a photocopy of the US standard but I still had to have the tow bar Engineered (cost $200) A further inspection by the ACT Rego Office (another $64) was required but went through ok, insurance company also happy. If you buy one from the USA DO NOT get their plug in ECU as the plugs are different and they use the brake lights as turn signals plus no backup light. I purchased one locally and wired into the loom with no problems in the past 4 months. Towbar is barely noticable when the tongue is removed and was easy to fit, I fit the tongue if parking in a problem area. Holes are already in the Mustang chassis.
Thanks, I appreciate the input.

It starts becoming an expensive exercise, but then getting a custom one locally isn't going to be cheap.

It would be nice if Ford AU went to the trouble of working that out :ford:

Now we can all start towing goats.
[ame]

G RUSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT
Reactions: ssb

Waldial

Waldial
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Waldial
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Tow Bar

Gents - It may be a little expensive getting one from the States but for curiosity try pricing a genuine Ford towbar for a new Falcon. I enquired with all the big Aust towbar manufacturers and none had any plans or desires to make one for the Mustang. I needed one to tow my rowing scull trailer and also to fit my bike rack so had no choice. Happy with my decision and certainly gets some comments from people seeing a Race Red Mustang towing a 10M long double rowing scull. Boat only weighs 27kg

ssb

50 DARK
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
My bike weighs more than that! (Not actually, but its close)
But I'm guessing your trailer weighs more than a bike rack :)

Yeah, I was looking at getting a towbar on another car - was about $700 plus fitting, so its not entirely a different ballpark, its just that added engineering and rego cost that's annoying - can possibly get away from that if its only for bike rack?

Sponsored

V8KOOP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback Competition Orange manual
Gents - I have a Curt tow bar on my 2016 Mustang 5L Auto, Curt complies with US standard SAEJ684 and Aust ADR62/02 is almost a photocopy of the US standard. Cost around A$700 to get to Canberra and another $200 to be Engineered and another $65 for ACT Rego to inspect. Passed ok and Insurance company happy. Do not get the USA ECU as it does not fit the Aust connections and used the brake lights as turn signals also no reverse light, I got an Aust general use one from the 4WD shop and wired it into the loom. No problems after 4 months use. Cops had a look at it as well and were happy (they just wanted to stickybeak at the car and commented on tow bar)
I need a tow bar, but was concerned what it may look like, can you post a couple of photo's please? Much appreciated. Will save having to convince the other half she needs a tow car!

mwizz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mustang 390 Fastback
Well I guess if that Lamborghini can tow a trailer so can a Mustang

MC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red GT Fastback, due sometime in October
:ford:

Now we can all start towing goats.
That was absolutely brilliant! Coincidentally I cooked a pot roast goat leg yesterday with potato, onion, carrot, garlic in white wine and chicken stock with herbs. Took over 5 hours but a very pleasing result :).

SteamPlane

Car, beer & whisky nerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White GT Convertible

Sponsored

ssb

50 DARK
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Had any issues with scraping? Looks a lot lower?

Waldial

Waldial
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Waldial
Vehicle(s)
The lowest part hangs 6cm below the rear diffuser, never scraped it when reversing over average size gutter and cannot feel any difference in road handling when cornering. The front spoiler hangs a lot lower than the rear diffuser but generally I reverse into gutter 90 degree parking spots.

Waldial

Waldial
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Waldial
Vehicle(s)
Fitted the towbar and took the car to the Engineer with a document from CURT stating the towbar was built to SAE J684 Standard (that is printed on the bottom of fitting instruction sheet), a photocopy of the SAE J684 standard and ADR 62/02. Engineer inspected the fitment of the towbar and utilising the information from the manufacturer and the testing procedures on SAE J684 he compared the testing procedure/requirements on ADR 62/02. Towbar was designed, tested and built in accordance with ADR's. ACT Rego inspected the vehicle (Did a complete rego check as well) and accepted the Engineers Report. I know a lot of stuffing around for a tow bar but insurance was happy and so was rego plus I get weird comments from people who see a Mustang towing a trailer, Care factor 0
Sponsored