2018 Modifications

Ford 18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2018 Ruby Red Magneride/Recaro Seats
With 2018 cars almost here - already here if you believe some theories - I am thinking about ordering some mods.
I've been talking to Cervini about their Upper and Lower grilles but they haven't developed a lower grille suitable for the Safe and Smart package standard in our cars yet.
I want to lower my car slightly but with Magneride suspension there are limited options - Ford PP and Eibach .
Hoping to swap out my standard wheels and tyres for Velgen VMB9 wheels - not sure of tyre size yet.
Any other ideas ?
Sponsored

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Auto or manual?

If manual, short shifter?
Intake?
Lund Tune?
Exhaust? Im assuming GT here so what about removing resonator and putting X or H pipe since varaible exhaust is standard

TeamDenno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT V8 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
Auto or manual?

If manual, short shifter?
Intake?
Lund Tune?
Exhaust? Im assuming GT here so what about removing resonator and putting X or H pipe since varaible exhaust is standard
I'd be interested to hear what the new variable exhaust sounds like vs existing 3rd party variable exhausts (X-Force).

OP
OP
Ford 18

Ford 18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
10 speed Auto so no mod there.
Thinking about a tune - but I'll wait to see how good this new car is - planning to take it to Willowbank after initial run-in.
Same deal with the variable exhaust - although X pipe may be an option.

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
I have eibach sway bars and maximum motorsports caster/camber plates ready to go, all Magneride compatible (I ordered magride too)

Waiting on steeda/bmr/vogtland spring options
Looking at Koya wheels with MPS4S
Black badges, steeda race wing and paint vents black
Will do X pipe first, and then headers down the track with Lund E85 tune again

One thing that I'm interested in is a Magneride recalibration or tuning device - there are a couple available but they're like $1500US

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ford 18

Ford 18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone heard if the oil cooler and air conditioning issues have been addressed in the 2018 RHD cars ?
( Sorry - Willowbank is the local drag-strip/motorsport complex )

OP
OP
Ford 18

Ford 18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Hi DrG - did the European RHD cars have the same issues with oil cooler problems.
Do you know if there has been any changes done to your car. (air-con too )

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
you stand a good chance of making your new car much worse with mods.
Now you're in here spreading the same rubbish. You stand a much better chance of making your car much better. Stock mustangs don't handle well, don't sound, or look, or go as well as they could, that's a fact. Hence it's one of the most supported platforms for aftermarket parts.

You sound like someone who's never modified a car, scared to do so

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
I've had an '18 RHD GT A10 for just over a week.
Don't plan on any mods until you have driven your new car.

Others will tell you to do this and that, it's rubbish without it etc. But actually the refresh is quite brilliant, you stand a good chance of making your new car much worse with mods.
I'm with you on this topic John. I am expecting great things with this iteration of the Mustang. Personally I see a lot of the modifications done on these cars as being gross and not for me.

Sponsored

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Model GT Fastback Oxford White Auto
For the mustangs to date I agree that it needed mods to make it an acceptable car in the handling, responsive performance and sound departments.

But with this new model it seems to address a lot of those issues. The revised engine produces substantially more grunt, the 10 speed auto sounds like its a winner and its 0 to 60mph times sound impressive. I'm hoping the magneride suspension will alleviate the need for a suspension upgrade, and the sound bites I have heard of the new muffling system sound fantastic.

I think all he is saying is to drive it first and then decide.

I'll be taking one for a test drive next year and if it still needs substantial mods I've bought my first and last Ford. I had a new V8 BMW M3 for 4 years and loved it. While it cost way too much money new I'd be in the market for a second hand M4 or RS3 or RS4.

The price of this new Stang with all the goodies is hard to justify IMHO. Particularly if you have to spend another 10k getting it to where you want it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ford 18

Ford 18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Part of the reason I decided to go with the 2018 was the level of improvements.
Over the years I've had a range of cars as well ( BMW M3 - straight 6 , Porsche 911 Carrera , even a Brock Commodore with polarizer and a 68 Mustang restomod).
I've driven a mate's Mustang that he has modified to full Shelby spec - amazing.
The only reason I will lower the car is aesthetics but only if I feel that handling will be enhanced or at the very least the same.
Probably not touching engine or gearbox apart from oil catch-can or dress-ups.
Really like the Cervini grilles - partly to stamp my car as mine.
There is no wrong or right to this discussion - just opinions

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase

Maaaark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2016 Mustang GT Fastback Manual
Now you're in here spreading the same rubbish. You stand a much better chance of making your car much better. Stock mustangs don't handle well, don't sound, or look, or go as well as they could, that's a fact. Hence it's one of the most supported platforms for aftermarket parts.

You sound like someone who's never modified a car, scared to do so
That's a bit harsh, I agree with what he said. Drive the car first for a while and then make an assessment of what needs to be done based on your personal preferences, makes perfect sense.

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Is it? This is the second thread he’s said “you stand a good chance to make the car much worse”

I’ve seen/ridden in/driven more mustangs than I can count, and the amount of people that have made their car “worse” - incredibly slim at best. That statement is out of touch with reality

This is a thread about mod ideas, we should be encouraging mods not trying to scare people away with blanket statements. Whatever, that’s my 2c I’ll move on
Sponsored

Last edited: