Sponsored

Calling Australians and Candadians

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
So seeing that there are a few of you on here, hoping to get some info from you concerning MMT that is available as an octane booster here in the states. Its all over the internet that gasoline in Australia and Canada still use MMT which from what I gather coats the inside of the combustion area, spark plugs and exhaust with an orange/red residue. Also all over the internet is that MMT will shorten the life of catalytic converters, spark plugs and O2 sensors. But there is just as much info out there that it wont hurt anything.
Curious if those of you from other parts of the world could confirm if you have MMT in your fuel. I would guess all the GTs made come with catalytic converters, just curious if you've had cars over the years with cats that survived a long life with MMT in your fuel.

Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Do you guys still use gasoline in other countries? Lol. If so does it turn your spark plugs orange? I just wanna know.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Are you attempting to run 93 octane tuning daily by adding octane boosters to lower octane fuel?

OP
OP

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Are you attempting to run 93 octane tuning daily by adding octane boosters to lower octane fuel?
California only has 91 octane, no 93 is available. Getting knock with my supercharger because it's tuned for 93 octane. If I put the canned octane booster in the tank my car no longer logs knock with the 91 octane fuel.

So back on topic, wondering if they really have MMT in the gas overseas?

Last edited:

Firepath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special yet
So seeing that there are a few of you on here, hoping to get some info from you concerning MMT that is available as an octane booster here in the states. Its all over the internet that gasoline in Australia and Canada still use MMT which from what I gather coats the inside of the combustion area, spark plugs and exhaust with an orange/red residue. Also all over the internet is that MMT will shorten the life of catalytic converters, spark plugs and O2 sensors. But there is just as much info out there that it wont hurt anything.
Curious if those of you from other parts of the world could confirm if you have MMT in your fuel. I would guess all the GTs made come with catalytic converters, just curious if you've had cars over the years with cats that survived a long life with MMT in your fuel.

Thanks.
I've never noticed any great amount of orange on the spark plugs of my Harley nor in the exhaust.

Not sure on degraded cats as I don't believe there is any testing of emissions anywhere unless you are suspected of having dodgy emissions equipment.

Sponsored

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Up here in Canada I have never used Octane Booster in any of my vehicles.

They do have 93 and even 94 Octane available. I use it in my SI in winter. Runs a lot smoother when the engine is cold.

Mustang I use 91. It works fine for my car.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Octane boosters work with no adverse effects on your engine. Ive been using them for years no issues at all and gas around here is 93 octane!

OP
OP

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I've never noticed any great amount of orange on the spark plugs of my Harley nor in the exhaust.

Not sure on degraded cats as I don't believe there is any testing of emissions anywhere unless you are suspected of having dodgy emissions equipment.
Thanks, wondered if the internet was true, sounds like it might not be.

Up here in Canada I have never used Octane Booster in any of my vehicles.

They do have 93 and even 94 Octane available. I use it in my SI in winter. Runs a lot smoother when the engine is cold.

Mustang I use 91. It works fine for my car.
Thanks.

Octane boosters work with no adverse effects on your engine. Ive been using them for years no issues at all and gas around here is 93 octane!
Is the stuff you use something like Torco, Octanium or Race gas concentrate where one quart will bump 93 octane up to close to 100 or is it the stuff like Heat or Octane boost where it will turn 93 up to 93.3?

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, wondered if the internet was true, sounds like it might not be.

Thanks.

Is the stuff you use something like Torco, Octanium or Race gas concentrate where one quart will bump 93 octane up to close to 100 or is it the stuff like Heat or Octane boost where it will turn 93 up to 93.3?
I've been using to Lucas octane booster for years. I just bought a case of amsoil octane booster which i will start using to compare the 2. I have one more bottle of Lucas left before i change over.. i will let you guys know how the amsoil works if its like all their other products i'm certain it will be a great product.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Never had any issues with cat or sensor life. Never noticed any abnormal deposits of any kind either. Not sure if that really answers the question though?

Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
MMT was phased out in Canada in 2006, the act banning it had been passed in 1997 but there were issues under NAFTA that dragged it out for a while.

OP
OP

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Never had any issues with cat or sensor life. Never noticed any abnormal deposits of any kind either. Not sure if that really answers the question though?
Kinda does, I'm guessing you don't have the MMT in your gas either. -thanks.

MMT was phased out in Canada in 2006, the act banning it had been passed in 1997 but there were issues under NAFTA that dragged it out for a while.
Good info, thanks.
Sponsored