Stock pads are worthless on track!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
So I am a bit concerned reading this thread and hope someone can offer clarification. I am ordering a 2019 GT PP2 expressly for doing autocross and track days. Are the 6-piston brakes up front truly Brembos, and if so, are they capable of standing up to the abuse of track days? I planned on upgrading the pads and fluid as a matter of course.

I am getting out of a Focus ST that I autocross because the costs of upgrading that platform to something that can be safely tracked were adding up too fast on a $20K car.

thanks in advance for any input/advice
Yes and yes.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SVO MkII

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
So I am a bit concerned reading this thread and hope someone can offer clarification. I am ordering a 2019 GT PP2 expressly for doing autocross and track days. Are the 6-piston brakes up front truly Brembos, and if so, are they capable of standing up to the abuse of track days? I planned on upgrading the pads and fluid as a matter of course.

I am getting out of a Focus ST that I autocross because the costs of upgrading that platform to something that can be safely tracked were adding up too fast on a $20K car.

thanks in advance for any input/advice
Yes, the are Brembos on the GT PP. They even say "Brembo" right on the side in red, to eliminate any confusion :thumbsup:

DPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Just for clarity, the GT PP brakes are 6-pot Brembos. The EB PP brakes are 4-pot non-Brembos. So you can have a PP car without Brembos, but only if you order an EcoBoost. A GT PP2 should be a fantastic track-ready car.

JD_GTPP2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro, 2SS/1LE
Yes, the are Brembos on the GT PP. They even say "Brembo" right on the side in red, to eliminate any confusion :thumbsup:
Yeah, I was a bit thrown by the OP and the mention of the EB PP brakes. I mistakenly assumed that all Mustang PP brakes were Brembos

Sponsored

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
A GT PP2 should be a fantastic track-ready car.
I wouldn't call the PP2 track ready as it has no additional oil cooling, transmission cooling or differential cooling.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Here is a pic of the caliper after one 30 min session at road america. It appears that fluid seeped from the 4 bolt holes. Both calipers showed this. I have never seen this before with either my 911 or my 944 Turbo, both of which get pushed HARD at the track. Yes, a better pad might result in less heat transfer to the caliper, but the caliper shouldn't be weeping fluid out of every orifice. This does not inspire confidence in the manufacture, or design of this caliper. I do feel better having a "genuine" Brembo caliper up front. And when you push that pedal going in to turn 1 at Road America, at roughly 130 mph, you need confidence!

20180513_103004.jpeg
What brand/compound track pad did you run at Road America?

That is very unlikely brake fluid leaking from the ends of the bolts but oils left over from the manufacturing process which is completely normal. The reason you may have never seen this before is because this is a two piece caliper that is bolted together.

These calipers use one flat sealing ring to transfer fluid from the inside to the outside half of the caliper. It is located on the bottom of the caliper. I have attached a picture to highlight it.
Fluid Path.jpg

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
All someone has to do is sell a new backing plate and rear-vented rotors for cars with 14" brakes and it'd solve 90% of the issue on a GT and probably the entire issue on a EB (since it's lighter). It's just venting, it's not rocket science to fix it but someone has to offer a 14" rotor traditionally vented from the rear + a new backing plate to allow for air to get into the veins. And perhaps install some brake ducts if you're pushing it.

Don't NEEEEEEEEEEEEED Brembos for HPDE, just need appropriate rotor design.

OP
OP
SVO MkII

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
All someone has to do is sell a new backing plate and rear-vented rotors for cars with 14" brakes and it'd solve 90% of the issue on a GT and probably the entire issue on a EB (since it's lighter). It's just venting, it's not rocket science to fix it but someone has to offer a 14" rotor traditionally vented from the rear + a new backing plate to allow for air to get into the veins. And perhaps install some brake ducts if you're pushing it.

Don't NEEEEEEEEEEEEED Brembos for HPDE, just need appropriate rotor design.
This is probably true. But I think the only rear vented rotors I have seen are around $700 pr. At that price, it's hard to justify sticking with the 4 pistons.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The rotor thing is legit and is a wtf Ford, but it will not cause the issues seen by Vorshlag or yourself. Small contribution.
:shrug: . . . seems to me if the rotors are running hotter that the pads (and everything behind them) absolutely must be running hotter as well. For the pads only, that's telling me you should be looking at least one step higher on any "pad trackability" scale specifically because of the backward rotor venting. At least one step. I think ditto for the fluid as well.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
IMHO you should be swapping out the whole setup, not trying to band aid it with pads and fluid if you plan on being competitive and driving aggressively to the car's full potential. If you're just out there to have fun, you'll be fine.
"Out there just to have fun" for a 20-year HPDE veteran is still likely to be pretty hard as far as the brakes are concerned. Certainly well beyond what this backward-venting was intended to be coping with.

Norm

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
:shrug: . . . seems to me if the rotors are running hotter that the pads (and everything behind them) absolutely must be running hotter as well. For the pads only, that's telling me you should be looking at least one step higher on any "pad trackability" scale specifically because of the backward rotor venting. At least one step. I think ditto for the fluid as well.

Norm
Yes, all correct. The assertion was that the rotor design is the cause of the issue. That's misleading at best. It is a contributor to higher pad temperatures, certainly, but is no silver bullet.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yeah, I guess we shouldn't expect Ford (or most any other mfr, US domestic anyway) to specify pads good for too much more abuse than what they designed the rotors they're going to be working with to take.

I wonder if I'd have noticed this if I hadn't heard/read about it first.

Norm
Sponsored