Sponsored

2017 GT PP Clutch and clunk issues

Sledgeyj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT PP
Hey guys ,I have 2017 GT PP with 6,700 miles on it. Bought it as a dealer demo with 2,600 miles on it. The issue has been present since the day I bought it and seems to be getting worse.

Clutch Symptoms: Back wheels will jump a little when you put car in any gear, while sitting still, with clutch to the floor. To verify this I put rear up on jack stands and when I put car in gear with clutch to the floor the back wheels actually turn about 1/4 - 1/2 a rotation. As such when I am driving and shifting (1st - 4th in particular), I get noticeable clunk/thud from the rear end whenever I put the car in gear or shift gears, before I let the clutch out.

Driveline issue: Especially at low speeds when I let of the gas or put in the clutch I can hear some clacking noise coming from the drive shaft. While car was on jack stands I notice quite a bit of play in the drive shaft.

I think the drive shaft issues combined with the clutch issue is creating the sensation that I have bowling ball rolling around my trunk while I drive.

Took it into my Ford Dealer, and after much debate and deliberation, they deemed this all to be normal and ok and gave me my car back. Ford's official recommendation was to compare it to another one on the lot exactly like it, which they do not have. Service writer told me "you have a lot of warranty left, lets ride it out and see what happens".

I am so disgusted with the issue and lack of service from my dealer and have no idea where to turn now. I even had video and showed the dealer what was going on to prove it. I got tech to ride along with me when I first dropped it off so I could show him the issue which he quickly deemed "that ain't good, some this is definitely wrong".

Any ideas?
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Seems pretty normal for Ford standard. Plus 3.73 rear end will have more backlash than say a 3.15 rear end because same backlash is multiplied by the final drive.
As for the car moving, that's also normal. When you put in gear after pushing in the clutch, the input shaft of the transmission is still spinning. So when you go get in 1st gear, the synchro will try to stop the input shaft because the output shaft is not moving. That motion would transfer some torque through the drive train and if your rear diff happens to be at the beginning of the back lash, you will hear the clunk as the gears turn then stop hitting each other.

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
The thud is normal and prominent in the torsen diff with 3.73 gears. Always make sure to completely stop before shifting into 1st.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
OP, ever drive a '70's muscle car with a manual trans? You would think you are driving a dump truck with all the clunking going on. For a 435 HP rear wheel drive V8, I personally think Ford did a pretty good job on the stacking issues of play/tolerances. Especially considering it has an IRS.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
OP, ever drive a '70's muscle car with a manual trans? You would think you are driving a dump truck with all the clunking going on. For a 435 HP rear wheel drive V8, I personally think Ford did a pretty good job on the stacking issues of play/tolerances. Especially considering it has an IRS.
^This. Even to where the Muncie "Rock Crusher" got it's nick name from sounding like you were crushing rocks with it.
Sponsored