2018 Shaker Sub Upgrade for convertible

Rippermac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mac
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible PP A10
Hated to start a new topic about a subject that's been beaten to death...but I haven't seen or can't find anything specific to sub options on a convertible. Totally underwhelmed especially with the top down. I need some kick and the factory sub is woefully inadequate. I'm seeing great things about the stealthbox but does not fit the convertible! Anyone know why? Anyone ever tried it? Any decent sub box ideas that don't take up the whole trunk...those days of ridiculous spl days are over for me but it would be nice to blast Enter Sandman and feel it!!
Sponsored

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Hated to start a new topic about a subject that's been beaten to death...but I haven't seen or can't find anything specific to sub options on a convertible. Totally underwhelmed especially with the top down. I need some kick and the factory sub is woefully inadequate. I'm seeing great things about the stealthbox but does not fit the convertible! Anyone know why? Anyone ever tried it? Any decent sub box ideas that don't take up the whole trunk...those days of ridiculous spl days are over for me but it would be nice to blast Enter Sandman and feel it!!
Blasting Enter Sandman is always a nice experience :headbang:

Unfortunately, I think your best bet is going to be either a custom enclosure or a factory sub and replace the actual speaker... there are a couple of folks on here that have done that.

OP
OP
Rippermac

Rippermac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mac
Vehicle(s)
That's why I'm hoping someone has actually tried the Stealthbox in a convertible. Trying to minimize trunk redesign(ha!) as much as possible and I don't want to upgrade the factory sub if something beefier is available.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I replaced the factory sub speaker with a RF and added an amp to drive it.
I disconnected the little factory sub amp, and took the signal off the rear speakers.
Power cable straight from the battery. Total cost was about $500.

35380230020_9eccb6922b_c.jpg
20170411_152007 by chefjpd, on Flickr

34927250354_8d68e1a4cf_c.jpg
20170405_180315 by chefjpd, on Flickr

OP
OP
Rippermac

Rippermac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mac
Vehicle(s)
I replaced the factory sub speaker with a RF and added an amp to drive it.
I disconnected the little factory sub amp, and took the signal off the rear speakers.
Power cable straight from the battery. Total cost was about $500.
While this is an excellent option and a possibility I've also read comments on here where while an improvement over the factory sub, the RF upgrade wasn't as dramatic of an improvement as expected. I'm just hoping someone has worked with other options in a convertible and can provide some additional feedback. Thanks for the input and I certainly appreciate it.

Sponsored

SWallace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT Vert
I have the base Shaker and went with the JL dual 8 Microsub:

(http://www.jlaudio.com/cp208lg-w3v3-car-audio-microsub-subwoofer-systems-93295)

It fits perfectly under the well where the top sits when folded. I have seen a single 10 box but didn't feel like dealing with a separate amp, etc.

It is ok, but I'm still not satisfied. I tapped the front speakers and have found that Ford plays games with the DSP the moment that the top is unlatched. They pull a ton of bass out of the system when the top is down. With the top up it sounds pretty good, but top down is way better than before but still no where near as good as the Shaker 1000 that I had in my '07. I have edited the AsBuilt config of the car and changed the DSP and while it is better its still not quite right.

My next step is to pull a pre-amp signal from the wiring harness. I've been waiting because I had heard that PAC was going to update their AmpPRO to support our cars but that still hasn't happened. I've seen threads about changing the AsBuilt to force all of the output signals to 4v pre-amp but I don't feel like doing an amp for the main speakers, yet.

OP
OP
Rippermac

Rippermac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mac
Vehicle(s)
I have the base Shaker and went with the JL dual 8 Microsub:

(http://www.jlaudio.com/cp208lg-w3v3-car-audio-microsub-subwoofer-systems-93295)

It fits perfectly under the well where the top sits when folded. I have seen a single 10 box but didn't feel like dealing with a separate amp, etc.

It is ok, but I'm still not satisfied. I tapped the front speakers and have found that Ford plays games with the DSP the moment that the top is unlatched. They pull a ton of bass out of the system when the top is down. With the top up it sounds pretty good, but top down is way better than before but still no where near as good as the Shaker 1000 that I had in my '07. I have edited the AsBuilt config of the car and changed the DSP and while it is better its still not quite right.

My next step is to pull a pre-amp signal from the wiring harness. I've been waiting because I had heard that PAC was going to update their AmpPRO to support our cars but that still hasn't happened. I've seen threads about changing the AsBuilt to force all of the output signals to 4v pre-amp but I don't feel like doing an amp for the main speakers, yet.
I'm liking this! I will definitely run a dedicated amp. I'm concerned about the drop as soon as the top gets unlatched also. Anyone know the best place to pull input signal from on a vert? Thanks for the input.

SWallace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT Vert
I'm liking this! I will definitely run a dedicated amp. I'm concerned about the drop as soon as the top gets unlatched also. Anyone know the best place to pull input signal from on a vert? Thanks for the input.
That JL box has an amp built in so its a nice tidy install. We pulled the signal from the front speakers. I'll take a pic this week to show you everything. Also if you search this sub forum for posts by me you'll find one that shows the AsBuilt values to edit to disabled the DSP top function.

I've replaced all of my speakers and I think my next step is to add a four channel amp and set the factory amp output to a 4v preamp (using the AsBuilt values).

If you don't know what he AsBuilt thing is search around. Its a rabit hole, you can do all sorts of things with the right OBD reader and Forscan.

Barschlep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible
I went the super-inexpensive route and it's working out pretty well. I bought this cheap Pioneer powered 12" - Pioneer TS-WX1210A.

No, it's not JL quality (what is?) but it's a huge improvement and the price is right!

I had BestBuy install it and they tapped into the front speakers. I'm pleased with the results, all things considered.
Sponsored