Sponsored

Weight mods...

ItalianBull

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
All the great things that everyone already knows: the GT350 is pretty cool, makes great sounds, rides well, reasonably fast, handles well, and grabs a ton of attention. That said, it's chubby. I can send over to Hennessey for the extra 50 HP for $6k, but that really isn't the issue in my opinion. I was hoping somebody here knows of an aftermarket shop that does weight reduction mods? Not what most guys think of first to go faster, but with this car....its downfall is the weight (along with way too long gearing). Appreciate the input!
Sponsored

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
The non-R wheels are heavy, as is the rear seat. After that it gets tough. Carbon fiber hoods, trunk, fenders are available but costly. I know some European race-spec models have plexiglass rear and side windows but I have no idea if that's an aftermarket option in the USA.

Houston Coffee & Cars in 8 hours! PM me. We have a GT350 crew meeting up.

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
Send you money to a incinerator before Hennessy, you will at least get actual ashes to go with the taste in your mouth.

Gt350r wheels are the best thing that bolts on for what you want. Not the cheapest.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
If you've got deep pockets, a set of lightweight wheels from Forgeline or comparables will shave 12-15lbs per corner, where it matters the most. It's a good starting point, and you don't need a specialty weight reduction shop to do that for you.

OP
OP

ItalianBull

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The non-R wheels are heavy, as is the rear seat. After that it gets tough. Carbon fiber hoods, trunk, fenders are available but costly. I know some European race-spec models have plexiglass rear and side windows but I have no idea if that's an aftermarket option in the USA.

Houston Coffee & Cars in 8 hours! PM me. We have a GT350 crew meeting up.
Thanks Spacebird! I'm in the mountains for the weekend, but appreciate the C&C invite!

Sponsored

bobmclean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
All the great things that everyone already knows: the GT350 is pretty cool, makes great sounds, rides well, reasonably fast, handles well, and grabs a ton of attention. That said, it's chubby. I can send over to Hennessey for the extra 50 HP for $6k, but that really isn't the issue in my opinion. I was hoping somebody here knows of an aftermarket shop that does weight reduction mods? Not what most guys think of first to go faster, but with this car....its downfall is the weight (along with way too long gearing). Appreciate the input!
I lost 12 pounds when I installed my Borla and gained 18 HP that you can REALLY feel

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
what is the weight of the GT350 base rims. I'd be willing to find a reasonablely priced set of rims that weigh less than the factory rims.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
what is the weight of the GT350 base rims. I'd be willing to find a reasonablely priced set of rims that weigh less than the factory rims.
35lbs for a front. Be close on the rear as the pad on the front is much thicker to offset the difference in width weight difference.

I'd buy a set of forgelines for about 2k less than the r carbon wheels at their cheapest online pricing, 4k cheaper than what ford set the actual price at.

The forgelines are withing a lb or two and offer some options for appearance.

Rear seat delete, ditch stock seats in favor of much lighter recaro profi or similar seats (there are some really light seats out there) ditch heavy stock exhaust in favor of lighter options. If someone would make a nice carbon hood and trunk for this car that would also shed some pounds. Especially the hood.

Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
35lbs for a front. Be close on the rear as the pad on the front is much thicker to offset the difference in width weight difference.

I'd buy a set of forgelines for about 2k less than the r carbon wheels at their cheapest online pricing, 4k cheaper than what ford set the actual price at.

The forgelines are withing a lb or two and offer some options for appearance.

Rear seat delete, ditch stock seats in favor of much lighter recaro profi or similar seats (there are some really light seats out there) ditch heavy stock exhaust in favor of lighter options. If someone would make a nice carbon hood and trunk for this car that would also shed some pounds. Especially the hood.
I doubt you'd save any weight with a hood. The front end of the car is aluminum. You might save 5 lbs with hood, and both fenders combined!

I've looked into this - it gets tricky.

Here are my suggestions: (keep in mind to keep the character of the car equal weight should be taken from front to back)

1) wheels: save 40-60lbs
2) rear seat delete: save 32lbs
3) headers and exhaust: save 20lbs

That is where most people will stop, let's keep going

4) lithium battery: saves 25lbs (at the front of the car!)
5) replace the rear diff pumpkin to the GT automatic unit. Being all aluminum it saves about 22lbs
6) Carbon fiber trunk lid: saves 20lbs
7) aluminum rear bumper beam: save 10lbs
8) lightweight seats: I wouldn't replace stock recaros but 50lbs or more can be saved here

That's the next batch of mods, next it gets really expensive

9) carbon ceramic rotors: I've been looking into ZR1 units to see if they'll work with our aluminum rotor hats. They might, the GTR camp has figured this out.
Save 8 lbs per corner for about 32 total
10) I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS: carbon fiber doors save 50 lbs

Then you can do lexan windows, AC/radio delete, strip sound deadening/carpets.

Those total will give another 50-75lbs. I wouldn't do it.

Let's tally:

Step 1: 82-102
Step 2: 130ish
Step 3: 80ish
Step 4: 50-75

Total: 350-400lbs. Worth it?

Later some aftermarket may come out with aluminum subframes, control arms, hopefully next refresh Ford will have aluminum door skins etc. There's a bit more room.

OP
OP

ItalianBull

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I doubt you'd save any weight with a hood. The front end of the car is aluminum. You might save 5 lbs with hood, and both fenders combined!

Here are my suggestions: (keep in mind to keep the character of the car equal weight should be taken from front to back)

5) replace the rear diff pumpkin to the GT automatic unit. Being all aluminum it saves about 22lbs
8) lightweight seats: I wouldn't replace stock recaros but 50lbs or more can be saved here

9) carbon ceramic rotors: I've been looking into ZR1 units to see if they'll work with our aluminum rotor hats. They might, the GTR camp has figured this out.

Let's tally:

Later some aftermarket may come out with aluminum subframes, control arms, hopefully next refresh Ford will have aluminum door skins etc. There's a bit more room.
Excellent input, Darkane! Much appreciated. I think the wheels are the obvious first choice with the most impact (any GT350 owners have Forgeline wheels they like? Type? Weight?). Headers back is relatively easy as well, plus you get the +30 HP pop (according to Borla). So, about $8K for the first 100lbs (and a +30 HP addition). How much are the lithium batteries? Didn't realize the stocks were so heavy!

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT

Let's tally:

The lithium batteries aren't very reliable on a daily correct? Also who makes the aluminum rear bumper beam?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The fact that they didn't use aluminum on the doors, roof, and the trunk after using it on the F150 I personally think is just a ridiculous decision. That's probably 50lbs right there alone. Unless they couldn't pass safety or something.

EDIT: actually, probably more than 50lbs.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
The lithium batteries aren't very reliable on a daily correct? Also who makes the aluminum rear bumper beam?
I'm not very up to date with the lithium ion myself, but I've talked to a couple people on the GTR forums and they say works like a charm.

The aluminum bumper beam was originally a Ford part for the R to offset the spoiler but it never made it to production. It can be made at a fab shop at a great price.
Sponsored