Best Oil and Filter for my Engine?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
There is no "best oil and filter." If asking a question like this, expect everybody to have a different answer. Best is subjective and relative.

With that said, when I had my ecoboost, I tried to find an oil that meets Ford spec for the ecoboost engine and Honda's turbo spec as well. Even though full synthetic oil isn't required and isn't even recommended by Ford, I would say it adds a little extra protection.

There's a certification out that oils can meet for LSPI resistance. It's called Dexos Gen 2. If you go on this website, you can check out what oils have this label on them.

Dexos Gen 2 states: The second generation dexos1™ specification was issued in 2015 to provide better vehicle performance as well as low speed pre-ignition (LSPI) protection, particularly for small displacement turbo-charged engines.
Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
There is no "best oil and filter." If asking a question like this, expect everybody to have a different answer. Best is subjective and relative.
I agree with most of this (especially the info about the dexos1 Gen 2 spec), but depending on the conditions applied I think there can be more than subjective opinion when it comes to choosing an oil filter.

The primary concerns (in my mind) when it comes to an oil filter is does it filter out particles large enough to harm the engine and does it have enough capacity not to fill up with contaminants before the next oil change. I'm not aware of any name brand filter that won't catch particles large enough to harm the engine. Capacity is another matter. If the filter is full of contaminants (in other words, clogged) the oil will bypass the filter, and you will be running unfiltered oil through your engine until you change the filter. There is no indication to the driver when this happens, so you should make sure whatever filter you use has enough capacity.

The final concern is the bypass valve. Every filter has a valve of some type to allow oil to bypass the filter should it become clogged. There are different ways of doing it, but a simple rubber flap over the oil ports is the cheapest and most common. Less common (and more expensive) is an actual spring-loaded, mechanical valve. Experts will tell you the mechanical valve is superior (the rubber flap is more easily damaged, in which case some or all of the oil will bypass the filter), but if you take a few moments when shopping for filters you can get an idea of how durable the bypass system for a given filter is.

So, with that information you can make some practical decisions based on objective data. Do you plan to change the oil at the recommended interval (typically 10K miles)? Then oil filter quality (filtration performance and contaminant capacity) might be an issue. If you're changing your oil every 3k-5k then just about any brand name filter is going to work fine. You'll be changing the oil long before oil contamination or filter contaminant capacity will ever be an issue.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I agree with most of this (especially the info about the dexos1 Gen 2 spec), but depending on the conditions applied I think there can be more than subjective opinion when it comes to choosing an oil filter.

The primary concerns (in my mind) when it comes to an oil filter is does it filter out particles large enough to harm the engine and does it have enough capacity not to fill up with contaminants before the next oil change. I'm not aware of any name brand filter that won't catch particles large enough to harm the engine. Capacity is another matter. If the filter is full of contaminants (in other words, clogged) the oil will bypass the filter, and you will be running unfiltered oil through your engine until you change the filter. There is no indication to the driver when this happens, so you should make sure whatever filter you use has enough capacity.

The final concern is the bypass valve. Every filter has a valve of some type to allow oil to bypass the filter should it become clogged. There are different ways of doing it, but a simple rubber flap over the oil ports is the cheapest and most common. Less common (and more expensive) is an actual spring-loaded, mechanical valve. Experts will tell you the mechanical valve is superior (the rubber flap is more easily damaged, in which case some or all of the oil will bypass the filter), but if you take a few moments when shopping for filters you can get an idea of how durable the bypass system for a given filter is.

So, with that information you can make some practical decisions based on objective data. Do you plan to change the oil at the recommended interval (typically 10K miles)? Then oil filter quality (filtration performance and contaminant capacity) might be an issue. If you're changing your oil every 3k-5k then just about any brand name filter is going to work fine. You'll be changing the oil long before oil contamination or filter contaminant capacity will ever be an issue.
Yes, I got sidetracked and paid more attention to the oil part of the question than the oil filter part. I agree, some objectivity is there when it comes to choosing the right oil filter. I always used Purolater Boss filters. The construction of the filter, the bigger capacity over stock filters, plus the baffles that make it anti-drain back gave me peace of mind.

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Why not just take out the guess work out of the equation and use the specd Motorcraft filter that are manufactured by Purolator themselves?

Oils... like condoms they protect, they are all made out of rubber and are both petroleum based, as long as they meet your specifications you should be protected from disgrace.:)

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Why not just take out the guess work out of the equation and use the specd Motorcraft filter that are manufactured by Purolator themselves?

Oils... like condoms they protect, they are all made out of rubber and are both petroleum based, as long as they meet your specifications you should be protected from disgrace.:)
There's no guesswork for the oil filter for the ecoboost. Everybody before us has already done the guesswork.

Also, all condoms aren't made out of rubber. Condoms were originally made out of sheepskin. Some still are these days as well.

Anyways, here is a rundown of some of the compatible oil filters including "extended oil filters." [MENTION=15518]jbailer[/MENTION] compiled this list in another thread way back when.

Oil filter:
WIX 51348
Napa 1348 (current)
Motorcraft FL-910S (stock)
Motorcraft FL-400S (better, 3/4" longer)
PurolatorONE (BEST) PL20195

FL-400S:
Thread Inside Diameter (in.): 3/4"-16
Outside Diameter Top (in.): 2.98"
Outside Diameter Bottom (in.): 2.98"
Length (in.): 4.14"
Spin-On Filter: Yes
Bypass Valve: YES
Color: White
Burst Pressure (PSI): 250 psi
Pressure Relief Valve: YES
PSI Relief: 20 PSI
Micron Rating: 80%@20um
Height (in.): 4.14"
Seal Outside Diameter (in.): 2.75"
Seal Inside Diameter (in.): 2.40"
Anti-drainback Valve: YES

FL-910S:
Thread Inside Diameter (in.):3/4"-16
Outside Diameter Top (in.):3.15"
Outside Diameter Bottom (in.):3.15"
Length (in.): 3.36"
Spin-On Filter:Yes
Bypass Valve:YES
Color:White
Burst Pressure (PSI): 250 PSI
Pressure Relief Valve:YES
PSI Relief:14.5 PSI
Micron Rating:50%@35um
Height (in.):3.36"
Seal Outside Diameter (in.): 2.75"
Seal Inside Diameter (in.): 2.40"
Anti-drainback Valve:YES

Purolator
PL10241 (stock size replacement)
O.D. 2.98
Height 3.36
Threads 3/4-16
Relief Valve P.S.I. 12-15
Type of Filter Spin-on
Thread Pitch UNF-2B
Anti-Drain Back Valve Yes

PL20195 (larger) **** BEST
O.D. 2.98
Threads 3/4-16
Height 4.74
Weight 8.63
Relief Valve P.S.I. 12-15
Type of Filter Spin-on
Thread Pitch UNF-2B
Anti-Drain Back Valve Yes

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Why are you dip Shits pushing Dexos brand on any and every some ones ?

Dexos is a GM Trade mark and License only .. stop being Dip shits and do your research Dip shits ............

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Dexos is a GM Trade mark and License only .. stop being Dip shits and do your research Dip shits ............
You okay man? You sound a little hostile?

DontoMelbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future EB Vert

WTF??? :doh:

Dexos1 Gen 2 is a standard, not a brand, for LSPI protection. The new API SP and ILSAC GF-6 performance specifications don't take effect in mid-2019 hence referencing oils that meet dexos1 Gen 2 is a valid statement.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium

According to the owner's manual, the only stipulation about oil choice is that it meet API certification:

Only use oils certified for gasoline engines by the American Petroleum Institute (API). An oil with this trademark symbol conforms to the current engine and emission system protection standards and fuel economy requirements of the International Lubricants Specification Advisory Committee (ILSAC).
The recommended oil listed (recommended, not required; the only requirement is that the oil be API certified) in the manual is Ford spec WSS-M2C946-A, which means it must be ILSAC GF-5 compliant. Introduced in October 2010 for 2011 and older vehicles, the ILSAC GF-5 standard was developed to provide improved high temperature deposit protection for pistons and turbochargers, more stringent sludge control, improved fuel economy, enhanced emission control system compatibility, seal compatibility, and protection of engines operating on ethanol-containing fuels up to E85. Oils which meet the dexos1 Gen2 standard are API certified and meet or exceed the ILSAC GF-5 standard, so they are compatible with both the requirement and recommendation for the Ford 2.3L Ecoboost in the 2015-2018 Mustang.

The reason I and the other "Dip shits" (and speaking for myself, I don't eschew that label :lol:) recommend dexos1 Gen2 compliant oils rather than GF-5 compliant oils is because in addition to providing all the benefits of API certification and the ILSAC GF-5 standard, dexos1 Gen2 compliant oils also have better antioxidant technology (oxidation is the number one reason for oil breakdown), better resistance to aeration (air bubbles in the oil can interfere with variable cam timing operation) and are formulated to provide some measure of protection against low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI), a phenomenon associated with engines that produce high torque at low RPMs, such as small-displacement turbocharged engines.

The new ILSAC GF-6 standard—due to be released this year—is intended to provide all the benefits of dexos1 Gen2. I'm almost certain that when the new standard is released Ford will recommend ILSAC GF-6 compliant oils for all of its cars. Why not use an oil that meets GF-6 spec now?

Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
The only way that this last statement to be true is if the additive packages are in accordance with ILSAC - GF6 criteria ...

Now to introduce this tid bit . AMSOIL is not and most likely will attach a Dexos Licensing .. therefore AMSOIL will remain out of any consideration as a valid appropriate Warranted oil .. by this I mean that a failure of an Engine utilizing AMSOIL very possible be denied ,, AMSOIL states a warranty with IT's use ..

No I am not endorsing AMSOIL !

Again I state Dexos is a License only . It is in fact a GM trademark forced upon the oil manufacturers to express a compliance to GM ..

Manufacturers have slowly adopted the implimentation to this trademark .

We as 2.3 t GDI owners must examine the Sodium and Calcium PPM to insure that we are running less cleaning agents to stave off the occurrence of Pre Ignition , knock and LSPI .

ILSAC -GF6 is supposedly addressing the issue of the Hypothetical existance of these cleaning agents causing such issues of Pre_Igntion .

Again I must address that these ideas of Calcium and or sodium causing LSPI is in fact hypothetical ..
Testing has determined that altering these Detergents has shown positive results in the occurrence of Pre-Ignition ..

We as consumers have to remain diligent and show patience with the manufacturers that have addressed the issues and possibilities .. we also need to do our own research .

Last edited:

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
The only way that this last statement to be true is if the additive packages are in accordance with ILSAC - GF6 criteria ...
Well, I did hedge by saying I am almost certain, but you are correct; oils meeting dexos1 Gen2 standards may not actually meet the new GF-6 standard, which doesn't yet exist. But even if they don't, I know that oils meeting the current dexos1 Gen2 standard are tested to be superior to the current ILSAC standard for LSPI mitigation, so there's that.

AMSOIL is not and most likely will attach a Dexos Licensing .. therefore AMSOIL will remain out of any consideration as a valid appropriate Warranted oil
I think you meant "most likely will not attach," and you're probably right. But it doesn't need to to meet Ford warranty requirements. The only requirement is the oil used must be API certified, which Amsoil does. And if you visit Amsoil's website they claim all their oils meet the dexos1 Gen 2 standard for LSPI prevention, so Amsoil must believe there is value in testing their products against the dexos 1 Gen 2 standard even if they aren't willing to pay for a license so they can put it on their label.

Again I state Dexos is a License only .
Yes, it's a license, but you can't simply buy a license and claim your oil meets the standard, you also have to actually prove it meets the standard. And the standard is more stringent than ILSAC GF-5 when it comes to LSPI prevention.

We as consumers have to remain diligent and show patience with the manufacturers that have addressed the issues and possibilies .. we also need to do our own research .
I have. And what I've found is that GM addressed the issue of LSPI with the dexos1 Gen 2 standard, which requires an oil demonstrate it can pass an LSPI protection test. Ford's recommended oils that meet the ILSAC GF-5 standard do not have to demonstrate LSPI prevention capability. And since any oil that meets the dexos1 Gen 2 standard automatically meets or exceeds the ILSAC GF-5 standard (for wear protection, and sludge/deposit prevention, etc.) it only makes sense to use a dexos1 Gen 2 compliant oil.

OP
OP

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
Really interesting stuff. For the filter, I think I am just going to go with the Motorcraft FL400S which seems to be a little bit bigger. I plan on making my oil changes every 7-9k miles so like someone mentioned above, there is little to worry about in terms of contamination in the oil for the filter to be challenged.

For oil, I am still not sure at all... I see all these certifications thrown around but not sure which one fits this engine better? Like I said, my car only has stock motor, a levels intercooler that will be installed soon, and she is my DD with some casual spirited driving.

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
Ok
Really interesting stuff. For the filter, I think I am just going to go with the Motorcraft FL400S which seems to be a little bit bigger. I plan on making my oil changes every 7-9k miles so like someone mentioned above, there is little to worry about in terms of contamination in the oil for the filter to be challenged.

For oil, I am still not sure at all... I see all these certifications thrown around but not sure which one fits this engine better? Like I said, my car only has stock motor, a levels intercooler that will be installed soon, and she is my DD with some casual spirited driving.

,............................ MOBIL ONE :first:.....................

......................... There is no substitute.........
...........................550 whp & 430 torque.........

Last edited: