OP
OP
ManBearPig

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
It makes sense that the torque spec follows the stud so the spacer should be torqued to the hub at the factory 150 ft/lbs. Will these little lugnuts provided take that much, though?

If the torque spec is based on stud size and thread pitch, why are the coyote brand spacers only supposed to be torqued to 90 ft/lbs when they are the same size as the factory studs? Are they poor quality? Is there a particular brand that is known to be better than others?
Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I've seen pictures of billet spacers on S550 cars that crack along the side when the adapter to hub torque is set at over 100 ft lbs. For that reason they say go with 90 ft lbs on the adapter and 150 on the wheel lugs.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen pictures of billet spacers on S550 cars that crack along the side when the adapter to hub torque is set at over 100 ft lbs. For that reason they say go with 90 ft lbs on the adapter and 150 on the wheel lugs.
Except that's not what they say (Coyote Accessories instructions say exactly the opposite).

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Would you believe this very intelligent young ladys' torque specs for the How to install Eibach Wheel Spacers on a Mustang GT 2015, 2016, 2017? (Starting at about 1 min and 20 secs).
You're just as tenacious :clap2:

You will believe everyone else's suggestion EXCEPT for those of the vehicle and spacer manufacturer.

Bill on Youtube? He knows everything about Mustangs so of course.
Random chick on Youtube? Heck yeah, what could possibly go wrong?
Ford? Fuck that, what do they know about Mustangs or how they are built?
The manufacturer of the spacer? Ain't noone got time for that.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Except that's not what they say (Coyote Accessories instructions say exactly the opposite).
To be clear, some suppliers recommend the lower torque, some higher. To clear all this back and forth banter up, why not just do what your particular spacer manufacturer recommends as far as torque goes?

Sponsored

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
I've personally been running 4 spacers (which I bought used from someone on the forums) with everything tightened to 140 ft/lbs.

I use antisieze on all studs and I don't take my wheels off a million times.

YMMV.

Binfordtools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Welp
gwch2arw2a47yr1vfldv.gif

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, Premium, PP, Recaros
The picture shown earlier of the messed up lug nut and spacer was mine. Eibach 20mm spacer with supplied lug nuts. The nut holding the spacer to the wheel was torqued to 140 lb ft and the wheel to the spacer at the factory 150 lb ft. First time trying to take the damn thing off after about 25K miles and you can see the lovely results. I had one other do the same thing. I did not use anti-sieze. And no, the spacer was not stuck to the hub at all. (No corrosion). :frusty::frusty::shrug::shrug:

OP
OP
ManBearPig

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
The picture shown earlier of the messed up lug nut and spacer was mine. Eibach 20mm spacer with supplied lug nuts. The nut holding the spacer to the wheel was torqued to 140 lb ft and the wheel to the spacer at the factory 150 lb ft. First time trying to take the damn thing off after about 25K miles and you can see the lovely results. I had one other do the same thing. I did not use anti-sieze. And no, the spacer was not stuck to the hub at all. (No corrosion). :frusty::frusty::shrug::shrug:
I found your other thread. Two things concern me...why did the spacer stud break in the first place, and why did the lugnuts strip so easily when trying to remove them? I have speculated that the little nuts that come with these spacers look and feel pretty cheesy. I wonder if sourcing a quality lugnut to use here would be a good idea?

Sponsored

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
Whenever we do a adapter (spacer with studs)

90 lbs on the adapter

factory OEM Wheels 150 lbs

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Guess that's why you don't cheap out. I doubt the motorsports tech ones have these issues. Sad part is the Eibachs aren't inexpensive at all. There's no reason that should happen with a quality part.

Lug seat to wheel stock: steel to aluminum. Spacer lug seat to adapter: steel to aluminum. The aluminum of the spacer and possibly the steel of lugs are garbage if they're failing in that manner. Different alloys have very different yield and ultimate strengths.
Sponsored