Bottleneck on headers

CompStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange GT
So I know there are a couple of companies who have headers that end in 3 inches from mid pipe. However the brand I want (Kooks) decided it was a smart idea to have the 2 and half inch. I have corsa extreme cat backs, so 3 inch exhaust. It looks like there are pipes that can be removed on the mid pipes so the downsize is no longer there. Is there something that can be use for 3 inch connection or am I going to have to go to an exhaust shop?
Sponsored

Derek@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT 300A w/ Brembo's
The OEM adapters that Kooks sends with their header and connection pipes can be removed when you purchase their 3" cat-back kit so that way you have a full 3" system if you go with their kit. If you have the Corsa exhaust currently and want the Kooks to bolt up, you will have to continue to use the Kooks OEM adapters or have an exhaust shop make adapters to go from their legs at the 3" section to the 3" portion of the Corsa double X. Hope that clears things up, let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

OP
OP

CompStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
The OEM adapters that Kooks sends with their header and connection pipes can be removed when you purchase their 3" cat-back kit so that way you have a full 3" system if you go with their kit. If you have the Corsa exhaust currently and want the Kooks to bolt up, you will have to continue to use the Kooks OEM adapters or have an exhaust shop make adapters to go from their legs at the 3" section to the 3" portion of the Corsa double X. Hope that clears things up, let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks
Thanks Derek. I had a feeling that was going to be the answer. Ok so my question then, is the bottleneck really hurting performance at all? Other question why don't we have some connection pipes on the market already for this!

ifly680g

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
CompStang I have the same setup as you and was wondering the same thing. I recall reading that on an N/A car that small bottle neck wont make a difference. Is that the case or would there be any gains to be had by making it a full 3 inch exhaust, or would the gain not be worth the cost?

OP
OP

CompStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
Maybe [MENTION=13918]Derek@Lethal[/MENTION] can shed some light?

Sponsored

Derek@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Derek. I had a feeling that was going to be the answer. Ok so my question then, is the bottleneck really hurting performance at all? Other question why don't we have some connection pipes on the market already for this!
You probably wouldn't see much difference on a stock car, it does make for changing exhaust systems easier as it will all be a bolt on affair. Me personally, I like uniform exhaust and no bottle necks, I like to squeeze out everything I can out of any combo.

You won't see anyone make adapter pipes for Kooks headers to Corsa exhaust, especially the Corsa, because there are so many different combos that would require different adapters that it wouldn't be cost efficient for a company to mass produce. The Corsa double X throws a wrench into things because you could go with the ARH bottle neck eliminator system to use their headers with other 3" cat-back kits to have a full 3" exhaust but having the second X may make it difficult to cut in the right location to make everything bolt up.

OP
OP

CompStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
Derek@lethal thanks again. I figured NA it wouldn't really make a difference, however when going FI I would imagine it does?

Derek@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
Derek@lethal thanks again. I figured NA it wouldn't really make a difference, however when going FI I would imagine it does?
The more aggressive you get with mods, the more important it is to open up the exhaust. So yes, a blown application would see a difference between having full 3" exhaust and having 2-1/4" bottle necks in the piping.

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium M6 TY
When I installed my stainless power with performance connect I had to install a couple 5" long pieces of 3" pipe to make the connection to the corsa cat back on my car. I have plans to whipple my car eventually that is why I wanted full 3" collector back.

Sponsored

15GTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Same here. I didn't want to have a full 3in exhaust with a 2 1/4 bottleneck. I ended up getting the arh bottleneck eliminator system and just cut the x pipe on my Gibson Catback. I'm assuming you could possibly do the same to your Corsa but it most likely will change the sound.

ARHeaders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5th Gen Camaro Race Car
Guys, we just came out with a CORSA DIRECT CONNECT system.

This always our 3" connection pipes to slip directly into the ever so popular Corsa catbacks eliminating the 2 1/4" BOTTLENECK that is OEM connect on the S550's.

No fiddling with adapters and clamps, just bolt it up and let her eat!!

Derek@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
OK guys, just to update you on a long tube system that will be a direct fit for the Corsa cat-back system users...

If you want a set of long tubes that will bolt to the Corsa double X pipe that is included with their cat-back kits and want the combo to be full 3", you can purchase the American Racing Headers Direct Connect headers and NOTE that you do not want the pipes reduced to 2-1/4" for factory connect. They will then remain 3" at the exit and bolt up with the Corsa double X with the Corsa OEM reducers removed from the system.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/sh...ders/long-tube/american-racing/direct-connect

If you have any questions about this, please contact us.

Thanks

Infamous

President of Honda
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP
So there is no current performance connect for kooks 1-7/8 to Corsa 3 inch?

Derek@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
So there is no current performance connect for kooks 1-7/8 to Corsa 3 inch?
Not at the moment. ARH is currently the only header manufacturer that has a direct connect system for Corsa cat-back users. Let us know if you need help selecting a system.

Thanks
Sponsored