Sponsored

Blue smoke out of exhaust

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
I think I have 2 issues, both related to the turbo.

I have a fairly strong odor of burning oil right by the turbo once the car warms up (I have been smelling it in the car for a few weeks, finally decided to investigate). I suspect something is leaking on the hot exhaust side. Then I have the smoke, which I got video of tonight.

I think I will try to take it to the dealership next week.

GIMME MY LOANER FUSION!
Sponsored

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
So I was out taking photos of my car with a buddy today, and it was puffing out smoke at idle. That's a new feature!

Mine is getting worse, so I am taking it to the dealer Monday morning and having my buddy take a look at it.

LeonBorden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2JZ Formula D Pro AM Cressida, 2015 EB PP
At the end of the day, whatever work Ford does to it, it's still going to end up smoking again. Quite a few turbo cars, like MS3s, have the same issues. Your options are trade it in, deal with it, or run 5w40 Rotella with the idle bumped up a tad.

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
At the end of the day, whatever work Ford does to it, it's still going to end up smoking again. Quite a few turbo cars, like MS3s, have the same issues. Your options are trade it in, deal with it, or run 5w40 Rotella with the idle bumped up a tad.
I am sure you are right.

Honestly, mine wasn't a huge deal to me until it started just puffing away at idle. Prior to today, it would just smoke after idling when I got on the gas.

Here is a picture, a shitty one but one none the less.

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Those aren't the only options though. There's a solution, it just hasn't been found yet.

Do the aftermarket turbos smoke on MS3s?

Sponsored

boosted_orange

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Quite a few cars..? The only one you listed is the MS3 which yes did smoke & Mazda redesigned the valve cover with a better breather design & the intake connection closer to the turbo or the turbo itself being replaced. As for the oil & idle that didn't work it was more of a bandaid which masked it briefly. And as for the options yeah those maybe yours but some of us do want to figure out what's causing the smoke & it isn't normal for it to smoke.

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I'm curious if anyone with the dual valve UPR can is having this problem? I have the dual valve can but I had my cat before so I couldn't see if I had the problem. Now my car is apart and when its together again I won't have the stock turbo so I'm not much help at this point unfortunately.

I looked at what Mazda did this morning and to me it seems an additional vacuum source may be useful.

boosted_orange

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I'm curious if anyone with the dual valve UPR can is having this problem? I have the dual valve can but I had my cat before so I couldn't see if I had the problem. Now my car is apart and when its together again I won't have the stock turbo so I'm not much help at this point unfortunately.

I looked at what Mazda did this morning and to me it seems an additional vacuum source may be useful.
I have the UPR dual valve but mine is still smoking. I've done all the recommendations from helping the pcv to the 5w40 & idle bump but hasn't changed. Now once you change your turbo & if it still smokes then I'll throw in the towel but if idles without smoke hmmm maybe the stock turbo isn't up to par..

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I have the UPR dual valve but mine is still smoking. I've done all the recommendations from helping the pcv to the 5w40 & idle bump but hasn't changed. Now once you change your turbo & if it still smokes then I'll throw in the towel but if idles without smoke hmmm maybe the stock turbo isn't up to par..
Ah OK. I thought you had the single. Hmm, I wonder if a setup like this would help?

http://www.permtuning.com/index.php/pcv-plate-vented-occ-installation-notes

Sponsored

tittermary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
when the smoke clears lol I think we are going to find that its normal for these cars, hopefully we can figure out a cheap solution though.

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
I just have a hard time accepting smoking as "normal".

I dropped my car off at the dealership this morning. They put me into a Fiesta with the HORRIBLE dual clutch transmission. The little car is fun, but man I hate that transmission already.

boosted_orange

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I just have a hard time accepting smoking as "normal".

I dropped my car off at the dealership this morning. They put me into a Fiesta with the HORRIBLE dual clutch transmission. The little car is fun, but man I hate that transmission already.
I feel ya on that! :thumbsup: I don't consider this normal at all is something I have to just deal with, keep us informed as what they tell you

OP
OP
ThatsMrGimp2U

ThatsMrGimp2U

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Everette
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang (Oxford White, PP)
I'm sourcing a bolt to make a new feed with. The amount of oil pushed to this turbo is insane. The bolt on the right is from an ms3, the left is from the ecoboost. Ms3 had two openings on the side of the bolt and the eb has 3 that are MUCH larger, leaving the return line to dictate pressure. I'm going to try a few bolts. Using 1-3 openings until the smoke is minimized.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

boosted_orange

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I'm sourcing a bolt to make a new feed with. The amount of oil pushed to this turbo is insane. The bolt on the right is from an ms3, the left is from the ecoboost. Ms3 had two openings on the side of the bolt and the eb has 3 that are MUCH larger, leaving the return line to dictate pressure. I'm going to try a few bolts. Using 1-3 openings until the smoke is minimized.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
I seen that as well but what are specs for the amount of oil required (psi) for the turbo to be lubricated properly without running risk of burning out the journal bearings is seals
Sponsored