Blue smoke out of exhaust

ThatsMrGimp2U

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Everette
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang (Oxford White, PP)
My car is sitting at 1300 miles right now. When I am stopped at idle, after about 20 seconds I start to see small plumes of oil smoke coming out of the tailpipes. This happened after I installed my downpipe. I have a few thoughts as to what is going on, but looking for some feedback in case anyone else on here has experienced something similar.

*5-8-2015* EDIT
It appears as though this has become a chronic issue when installing a catless downpipe on these cars. Some have experienced the problem with the factory one as well. So far, the fix is to replace the turbo due to failing seals. Ford is replacing the turbo with the SAME unit, that will experience the same issue in time. As of now their is no TSB or recall or anything like that. So I am playing with different banjo bolt sizes that feed the turbo oil. The idea is to supply the turbo with enough oil to operate properly, but not overwhelm the seals. This was a resolution for the 2.3L mazdaspeed platform that proved successful until a redesigned turbo in the second generation. I should note that I have changed my oil to Rotella T6 5w-40 as well. I would recommend doing this anyway as it is a proven quality oil for direct injection applications.

I have made a couple of different bolts. I am in the process of testing the first one with great results. With the stock downpipe and stock tune I would only see VERY small plumes after startup. This MAY have been residual oil. Today I put my catless downpipe back on and have yet to see any smoke... This is after beating the piss out of the car, letting it cool down, then starting it and watching it for 10 minutes. As soon as I see smoke Ill be back to edit this post. My plan is to play with hole sizes until I can get a little bit of smoke to reappear. Then I will go back down a size. I will post the exact specs of the bolts I am using, how to make them, and have some available for sale for those who can't.

IMG_20150504_201404_zpsz5yt2zzt.jpg

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Sponsored

Last edited:

DanFish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT, 2015 Black Eco
My car is sitting at 1300 miles right now. When I am stopped at idle, after about 20 seconds I start to see small plumes of oil smoke coming out of the tailpipes. This happened after I installed my downpipe. I have a few thoughts as to what is going on, but looking for some feedback in case anyone else on here has experienced something similar.

My car started having smoke from the tailpipes a lot after I installed my downpipe. I was told it's just because I don't have a catalytic converter.

OP
OP
ThatsMrGimp2U

ThatsMrGimp2U

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Everette
Vehicle(s)
I have had cars without cats before. And the smell is more gassy for sure. This is definitely an oil smell.

OP
OP
ThatsMrGimp2U

ThatsMrGimp2U

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Everette
Vehicle(s)
Yessir, and was with the previous ecoboost car.

Sponsored

gzstang

Who's stang? It's gzstang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/performance pack
Vehicle Showcase
Some smoke is totally normal on tuned turbo cars...

OP
OP
ThatsMrGimp2U

ThatsMrGimp2U

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Everette
Vehicle(s)
At idle? And no. I don't have a lot of faith in the pcv system on this car but can it really be that bad?

Biffosaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion Sport
At idle? And no. I don't have a lot of faith in the pcv system on this car but can it really be that bad?

From my experience blue smoke is either from a turbo with blown seals or from ingesting oil through the intake system.

Good way to tell would be to check the DP and intake and see if there is residue built up on either.

Hopefully it's nothing big.

OP
OP
ThatsMrGimp2U

ThatsMrGimp2U

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Everette
Vehicle(s)
I am very much thinking its a turbo seal. But will check the intake today.

Sponsored

5TAR5CR3AM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT deep impact blue
This was an issue with first gen mazdaspeeds with catless downpipes. The infamous smokey turbo. The decrease in backpressure allowed excess oil to seep past the seals in the turbo causing a blueish smoke. The problem was generally fixed with another K04 turbo or a restrictor pill in the oil input line.

Also if you blew a seal... you would know. James Bond smoke screen mod.

OP
OP
ThatsMrGimp2U

ThatsMrGimp2U

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Everette
Vehicle(s)
I'm going to try the mzr Band-Aids today. Rotella T6 and bumped idle. I'll report back with my findings.

Vinny@JLTPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I was going to say this was very common on the Mazdaspeed cars, a bump in idle may take care of it.
Sponsored