Sponsored

How long would you guess will Ford be making OEM parts for the S550?

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
The body parts and trim will be hard to get as the years pass. I just secured a new lower front splitter for my 2018 GT figuring that I will some day whack the factory splitter on a parking curb as I age. To my surprise, the local dealer had two in stock and matched another dealer's online price. I am a happy camper now.
Sponsored

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
I believe there is a federal law that they have to make parts for 7 years after manufacture. So you’re probably good until at least 2030.
Can you cite which law that is?

Interesting read. Looks like they have to supply parts as long as the provide warranties from fi
Ford.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/20...e-to-provide-replacement-parts-for-older-cars

Even more interesting would be to find a lawsuit(s) ever brought against a mfr for not stocking parts.

falcongtho3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1 ; 2013 Boss 302
Many of the parts for my 2013 Boss 302 are obsolete, and there's virtually nothing for my 03 Mach 1, so if there's anything you think you'll want get it now. You never know.

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Look at how many parts are available today for Foxbody or New Edge or S197 Mustangs. Maybe not brand new OEM parts, but there are plenty available due to the popularity of the car.

You'll be fine in 10 years.
Cars are much different now than they were back then. This is a huge problem we are running into in the automotive repair industry. We have seen a 2015 Dodge and a 2016 Chevy truck both total lossed in the past few weeks because a ~$2k wiring harness was no longer available. These cars are getting so complex that the aftermarket isn't even attempting to produce many of the parts. Our state recently removed the airbag from the list of items that would fail a vehicle for safety inspection because otherwise great cars were deemed inoperable in the state due parts availability.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
This is a huge problem we are running into in the automotive repair industry. We have seen a 2015 Dodge and a 2016 Chevy truck both total lossed in the past few weeks because a ~$2k wiring harness was no longer available.
In the general repair industry I can see that happening because all a repair facility going to do is punch in a part number in Ford's or LKQ's website (or any other parts dealers) and if it comes back as none available that generally means the end of the search.

For an enthusiast however there are many more options for getting parts that a shop simply won't even entertain. A mechanic won't be scouring local junk yards or Craigslist/Facebook posts for the part, but most of us would. I bet that Chevy truck you mentioned is a prime example of this...how many of those are laying around in junk yards that could have been a donor but the repair shop simply won't go to those lengths to find. But you'll see Billy Bob waist deep in an engine bay in some Alabama junk yard scooping up parts for his 95 CK 1500.

That's why I say for the general enthusiast here if they care enough they should not have issues.

Sponsored

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You’d be shocked at how hard insurance adjusters are willing to search. This is becoming a regular occurrence for them. The Chevy truck was an odd configuration and belonged to a friend. I left no stone unturned and neither did the adjuster.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
You’d be shocked at how hard insurance adjusters are willing to search. This is becoming a regular occurrence for them. The Chevy truck was an odd configuration and belonged to a friend. I left no stone unturned and neither did the adjuster.
Was a custom made harness considered? Or too expensive/time consuming to pursue?

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was a custom made harness considered? Or too expensive/time consuming to pursue?
I could have repaired it, but didn’t want the long term liability. It had excessive rodent damage in multiple places. If I owned the truck, I absolutely would have repaired it.

Last edited:

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I could have repaired it, but didn’t want the long term liability. It had excessive rodent damage in multiple places. Innings owned the truck, I absolutely would have repaired it.
I didn't expect an insurance company to authorize a repaired harness. I was referring to a completely new, custom made one. There are companies out there that make them from scratch. I would think if you sent the damaged one they could duplicate it. Probably not quick or cheap but could save the vehicle. I agree, if it were mine, I'd just repair it.

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't expect an insurance company to authorize a repaired harness. I was referring to a completely new, custom made one. There are companies out there that make them from scratch. I would think if you sent the damaged one they could duplicate it. Probably not quick or cheap but could save the vehicle. I agree, if it were mine, I'd just repair it.
They absolutely authorized it and I started repairing it, but backed out as I got deeper into it. I’ve never heard of a company making one from scratch and the insurance company hadn’t either . I’d love a link for future reference if you have one. This is starting to become a common occurrence.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
They absolutely authorized it and I started repairing it, but backed out as I got deeper into it. I’ve never heard of a company making one from scratch and the insurance company hadn’t either . I’d love a link for future reference if you have one. This is starting to become a common occurrence.
I'm only aware of those types of companies from watching YouTube rebuilders so no direct experience. But by typing "custom automotive wiring harness" into Google I got 8 or 9 different companies. Maybe one of them could help, maybe not, idk, but it's something to keep in mind.
Sponsored