UPR one way crank case breather?

Houdinii_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
I was wondering who all runs the upr one way crank case breather in place of the factory oil cap. I would like to pair one with my jlt closed pcv system because it seems like the best of both worlds but I've heard some mixed reviews. I have a 2018 mustang that makes 900ish wheel. I've tried running breathers on the valve covers but I hate constantly smelling oil vapors and honestly the car just seems to run better on a closed pcv system, my only concern being a lot of people say at this power level everything should be vented to atmosphere.
Sponsored

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
I was wondering who all runs the upr one way crank case breather in place of the factory oil cap. I would like to pair one with my jlt closed pcv system because it seems like the best of both worlds but I've heard some mixed reviews. I have a 2018 mustang that makes 900ish wheel. I've tried running breathers on the valve covers but I hate constantly smelling oil vapors and honestly the car just seems to run better on a closed pcv system, my only concern being a lot of people say at this power level everything should be vented to atmosphere.
I ran it w my 2021 roush mustang when i had it and ripped it off, had all kinds of vac leak symptoms. ran 2 diff types.
Now i added the same breather on my 2022 Raptor and have no issues at all. Wierd stuff, the blown stang didnt like it but the stock twin turbo doesnt have an issue.
Just try it and see for yourself. If you have vac leak issues, rip it off. Its hit or miss.
Anthony

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
You may or may not smell oil depending on whether you're running the cabin fans, but all the oil that's captured in your current can system is going to end up in that filter. So you're going to constantly be cleaning that filter and/or dealing with oil splatter spots on that side of the engine bay if you go too long to clean it. It has no precipitation media and no capture reservoir. Basically it's going to pop open and vent excess crank case pressure including any suspended hydrocarbons and hope that the filter can keep it all from coating your engine bay.

OP
OP
Houdinii_5.0

Houdinii_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
I ran it w my 2021 roush mustang when i had it and ripped it off, had all kinds of vac leak symptoms. ran 2 diff types.
Now i added the same breather on my 2022 Raptor and have no issues at all. Wierd stuff, the blown stang didnt like it but the stock twin turbo doesnt have an issue.
Just try it and see for yourself. If you have vac leak issues, rip it off. Its hit or miss.
Anthony
yeah that’s my concern is that I’ve seen people report that their fuel trims went all over the place from unmetered air. Which doesn’t really add up with upr’s claim that it stays sealed under normal conditions.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
I have the UPR crankcase breather on my car along with a vented Fathouse Catch can that goes to both pcv's. No issues at all car runs great. Car makes a little over 800whp
IMG_4532.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
Houdinii_5.0

Houdinii_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
You may or may not smell oil depending on whether you're running the cabin fans, but all the oil that's captured in your current can system is going to end up in that filter. So you're going to constantly be cleaning that filter and/or dealing with oil splatter spots on that side of the engine bay if you go too long to clean it. It has no precipitation media and no capture reservoir. Basically it's going to pop open and vent excess crank case pressure including any suspended hydrocarbons and hope that the filter can keep it all from coating your engine bay.
my thought with this set up is that at least in theory it should stay closed when driving normally. I only run it hard a couple times a month and the rest is normal driving. When I had breathers on both valve covers I never had oil splatter even when beating on it but of course they constantly released vapor from the crankcase and it was just super annoying to constantly smell it. I see what you’re saying though it could definitely still make a mess at WOT if it opens.

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
yeah that’s my concern is that I’ve seen people report that their fuel trims went all over the place from unmetered air. Which doesn’t really add up with upr’s claim that it stays sealed under normal conditions.
1000%...... correct! My stang was running lean, all vac leak symptoms and stumbled as well. All of that cleared up once i put the oil fill cap on and called it a day!
Anthony

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I run the UPR can setup with the crankcase breather, I have no issues at all. Have had it on for about 10k miles

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
We typically run the upr bretather tanks if your looking at doing a greather, less oil tends to get in these vs the breather right on top, and less often changin them

https://www.beefcakeracing.com/5029-221/

UPRjoe

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
750 S. Eastcoast St, Lake Worth Fl. 33460
Website
www.uprproducts.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
UPR 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
I just wanted to share that we've updated our current designs to improve their performance on engines with Blowby. We increased the height and length of the check ball seat to create more downforce, which cured the majority of these symptoms.

Joe@UPR

Sponsored

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
I just wanted to share that we've updated our current designs to improve their performance on engines with Blowby. We increased the height and length of the check ball seat to create more downforce, which cured the majority of these symptoms.

Joe@UPR
oh wow!!! Good to hear.. My 1st oil breather cap wreaked havoc on my 2021 roush mustang, i tossed it. Can you please send me a new "revised" replacement then for mustang since it failed? I recently bought a new breather cap for my new 2022 F150 Raptor from you, so far good, no issues. Let me know.
Thanks Anthony

P.S. Look me up in your system --> Anthony Montefusco

Lonniesgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lonnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I have been running one for close to a year now on my 17' whippled car also with sealed catch can on both sides and no issues and no leaks

OP
OP
Houdinii_5.0

Houdinii_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
Well I ran around with it on all weekend. Made a few wot hits and took some logs at idle/cruising. My fuel trims are the exact same as before and didn’t have any kind of oil mess after getting on it a few times. Seems to be working as advertised.
Sponsored