Roll racing fail

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I hit a deer once at highway speed years ago. Despite full gear, I still spent the night in the hospital for observation due to a wicked concussion, and I felt like I had taken on a full-body beating for the next week. As the ER staff said, your gear did its job. I wish I had pics of my armored textile jacket, as it was pretty torn up.....
helmet.jpg
Real glad you're ok.
My younger brother, he loves Bikes. I am the car guy, he the bike guy. About almost a decade ago now, hard to believe, he got into an accident where he had to have his leg amputated just below the left knee. It was not his fault, a car hit him that was turning left at in intersection at full speed. He's okay now though, we sued (we discovered that after a bit of drinking, the at-fault driver did not see my brother heading straight through the intersection, with his right of way, and as a result, there was no attempt by the driver to slow down, hence the serious injury to my brother) he has an advanced prosthetic made of carbon fiber. But it was a painful journey.
That's why whenever I see idiots on bikes where they are doing something of their own volition that will cause them harm, I just shake my head.
Sponsored

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2

Blufc3s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Premium GT PP1, 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
I'd be interested in knowing what happened to the rider. I've seen people walk away from something like that, get 30' away, then (as the adrenaline rush wears off) suddenly sit down and turn out to have significant injuries.
Yup, I know of a guy who took a bad tumble, walked away and died a short while later of internal injuries.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
2 reasons why I haven't and never will own a motorcycle
You have to have the right frame of mind to be a safe rider, which includes always having discipline and self-control, and always assuming everybody wants to kill you, so it shouldn't matter if they actually do or not :D. On top of that, I only ride for fun (meaning riding to twisty roads and back), on weekdays (minimal traffic), and always in good weather and daylight. Plus I've invested in myself in the form of several multi-day track school camps over the years, so I can use the full capabilities of my bikes if I have to, which is often an issue with bike accidents. And finally, my bikes are basically always new, in perfect mechanical condition, with everything checked and adjusted before every ride, and always in full gear. So yes, it's more dangerous to ride a bike than to drive a car, but in the conditions I do it, the chances of having an accident because of somebody else's fault are minimal. And although I like to ride fast, and tackle the twisties aggressively, the chances of having an accident that is my fault are probably higher, but since I'm a cautions and trained rider, pretty low as well. The danger depends a lot on the driver/rider IMO.

I couldn't see the posted video, but people like that is what gives riders a bad name. Just hope that rider learned his lesson, and never puts himself and/or others at risk again.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
62 year old ladies at twilight. That’s who wants to kill you.
I just stay off of them. Old ladies want to kill you. millennials sending texts while driving want to kill you. Every Mustang driver that hasn’t already killed a crowd of people at C&C wants to kill you. Etc. Etc. Etc. Just like anything. Choice your weapon wisely. So my daily is a lifted 4x4.

Sponsored

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
I hit a deer once at highway speed years ago. Despite full gear, I still spent the night in the hospital for observation due to a wicked concussion, and I felt like I had taken on a full-body beating for the next week. As the ER staff said, your gear did its job. I wish I had pics of my armored textile jacket, as it was pretty torn up.....
helmet.jpg
I went off a Honda in the mountains when the road department dropped gravel in the curve-on purpose to fill a pothole. I highsided with full gear, the road slide melted right through textile gear, and impact crushed my shoulder and 3 ribs...my helmet was gouged up like yours...

that guy In the video is lucky to be alive, and hopefully learned something!

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
I went off a Honda in the mountains when the road department dropped gravel in the curve-on purpose to fill a pothole. I highsided with full gear, the road slide melted right through textile gear, and impact crushed my shoulder and 3 ribs...my helmet was gouged up like yours...

that guy In the video is lucky to be alive, and hopefully learned something!
Riding a bike is always a risk. You can control your own operation and skill level, you can be aware of the other drivers that want to kill you and always try to be a step ahead and have an out....but you can’t control some things...wild animals, road defects, really stupid people. I got wiped out by a road defect and the stupid people That poured tar and gravel in a pothole, on a downhill mountain road in the middle of a 180 degree turn. I was the 5 th bike to drop an that curve in 12 hours, 4 th one Saturday morning, same cop and ambulance crew and no one checked the road conditions until after I crashed.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
62 year old ladies at twilight.
Don't ride at twilight :D. Seriously, I never ride except in close to ideal conditions, week days, no traffic, daylight, good weather, etc. Never to go anywhere in the city, or I'd probably be dead by now. I actually don't drive much either, since I work from home. It's ridiculous the amount of daily accidents in this border city. And riding a bike is dangerous enough as it is, but I don't make it any more than necessary by avoiding the most dangerous situations (traffic, twilight/night, rain, rush hour, etc).

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
My deer incident happened at dusk, and I no longer ride anytime but broad daylight and on back roads as much as possible to avoid idiot drivers.....

It was late summer/early fall in 2009, and myself and a couple friends rode to the last bike night of the season in a nearby town. When we left, the sun was just beginning to get low. At one point a raccoon ran across the road in front of us, and I remember thinking that it's getting pretty late to be out on a bike. How prophetic. We proceeded on, and I split off from the others to complete the last leg of my trip, which is a favorite stretch of twisty county blacktop that runs along a river. There's a fun S-curve that goes right and slightly uphill at the center of the S with a railroad crossing; my standard operating procedure was/is to hop the track and grab a handful of throttle and hammer through as the road goes left. I had no more than grabbed that handful of throttle and saw the big doe moving slowly, broadside, into my lane; another was coming up the side of the ditch behind her. Shiiiiiit. I braked and tossed the bike right and thought I was going to miss her and BAM, down and tumbling on the asphalt. From what could be deduced later from the bike damage (I still own the bike) I had clipped her hind quarter with the left end of the handlebar.

The funny (and lucky) part was that a friend was heading home in his pickup at the time and was first on the scene to recognize my bike laying on the road (about 80' from the impact location) and then noticed me sitting in the ditch, all torn up with blood on my face. By then my concussion was concussing hard, and I don't remember much of talking to him and the corresponding ambulance ride. I was pretty leery about riding for a while, but still do and still own four bikes. It took a lot of the fun out of riding though, as I'm almost too cautious and apprehensive to this day.

I got lucky. Real lucky. I cringe whenever I see anyone riding with no gear, shorts, sandals, etc. I still have the helmet pictured earlier, as a monument (blood and all) in my shop.

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
When I was street riding and anywhere near an urban area, I kept my head on a swivel, one finger on the clutch, two on the front brake ... and pretended I was invisible.

Worked for me for more than 30 years on the street.
Sponsored