2017 GT Exhaust Drone

Roadduck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clark
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium, 2019 Shelby GT 350
My Wife purchased a 2017 GT premium with 3500 miles on the clock. The dealership stated the vehicle was stock. After driving the vehicle for a few days she complained of this terrible noise coming from the rear of the car. I took the car out and sure enough it has a very loud drone at anything above 2,000 RPM. In looking under the vehicle it appears that the previous owner had some flow master mufflers installed on the vehicle. It does not appear that anything else was done to the exhaust system. I am not sure why anyone would just add mufflers to it. In any event she will not drive the vehicle with this racket in the vehicle.

I'm thinking of just replacing the mufflers with some sound reduction material and baffles in them. Any advice will be appreciated. Oh, and they welded the mufflers and tips on. The tips are four inch and I think the they came stock with 3 1/2 tips.

Thanks,
Roadduck
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP1
You have TONS of options. You really just need to ask yourself how much time and or money you are willing to spend on this. Personally I would just throw an axle back on it, assuming the previous owner did not ruin that option with how the welds were done.

If that is not an option maybe watch craigslist or something similar for someone dumping their stock exhaust set up.

Stranger706

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT w/Roush SC
I'm thinking of just replacing the mufflers with some sound reduction material and baffles in them. Any advice will be appreciated. Oh, and they welded the mufflers and tips on. The tips are four inch and I think the they came stock with 3 1/2 tips.
Thanks,
Roadduck
What do you mean, replace mufflers with sound reduction material? You won't cover up flowmaster drone with sound reduction material. I'm afraid the best option is to swing by a muffler shop and have some quieter mufflers installed. Shouldn't cost too much for generic mufflers. Also make sure the resonator is still in place. Should be up front underneath the transmission.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
You have several options in your case.

A. Get a whole new catback installed. A high quality system such as borla or one of the other name brand exhausts that promises no drone will sound nice and not drone plus you get a stainless system that won’t rust. This is the most expensive option but the nicest.

B. See if you can still do an axleback system from one of the reputable name brand exhaust companies. Again same thing with better quality and no drone.

C. Have stock mufflers or a whole new stock catback installed. Probably the cheapest but the 15-17 are probably the mustangs with the quietest exhaust systems. This is the cheapest option if bought used from someone selling theirs. Again this might be too quiet for you so before making a decision listen to some YouTube videos of different exhaust options and see what you like.

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
My Wife purchased a 2017 GT premium with 3500 miles on the clock. The dealership stated the vehicle was stock. After driving the vehicle for a few days she complained of this terrible noise coming from the rear of the car. I took the car out and sure enough it has a very loud drone at anything above 2,000 RPM. In looking under the vehicle it appears that the previous owner had some flow master mufflers installed on the vehicle. It does not appear that anything else was done to the exhaust system. I am not sure why anyone would just add mufflers to it. In any event she will not drive the vehicle with this racket in the vehicle.

Thanks,
Roadduck
+1 on either finding a stock 15-17 setup for sale online or just get a good aftermarket setup. If you are looking for more tame put a set of borla s types or the Ford performance ones on there. I’m guessing it still has the factory resonator if so either of those options would make a little more rumble but absolutely no drone... unlike the dronemasters Currently installed.

Sponsored

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150

Thanks,
Roadduck

Roadduck I was Just in Colorado Springs last week dropping my son off at the Air Force Academy. I would have loved to donate you my stock mufflers from my 15 GT. Send me a PM if interested and if you pay for shipping I’ll send them your way. I even have the stock condenser. All will have to be welded back on.

Other options would be locally source a set of stockers or go with a full cat back like a Borla Stinger ( little or no drone) or your local muffler shop can put some on that are a little milder than the flowmaster.. You can then sell the flowmasters ( they are universal ) so they can fit other car models not just the sting.

By the by I had flowmasters on the 15 with an xpipe and it was loud as hell all the time but I loved it!

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
Corsa is always the answer.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Agree. Corsas are designed to not drone

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
As others have said. Go with an axle back or full catback known not to drone. AWE, Corsa or even find a used OEM and swap it.

OP
OP
Roadduck

Roadduck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clark
Vehicle(s)
You have TONS of options. You really just need to ask yourself how much time and or money you are willing to spend on this. Personally I would just throw an axle back on it, assuming the previous owner did not ruin that option with how the welds were done.

If that is not an option maybe watch craigslist or something similar for someone dumping their stock exhaust set up.

Thanks for the help! I'm not sure how these Drone masters were installed, looks like the exhaust pipe was shortened at the last turn to make room for them. I was thinking about just getting some standard mufflers, cutting the old ones out and weld in the new. Most likely will have to add a little piece of exhaust pipe to make them fit. I am not sure how the welds were done. Going out now to jack it up and do some measuring. I really need to get this fixed, my wife will not drive this thing.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Roadduck

Roadduck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clark
Vehicle(s)
Roadduck I was Just in Colorado Springs last week dropping my son off at the Air Force Academy. I would have loved to donate you my stock mufflers from my 15 GT. Send me a PM if interested and if you pay for shipping I’ll send them your way. I even have the stock condenser. All will have to be welded back on.

Other options would be locally source a set of stockers or go with a full cat back like a Borla Stinger ( little or no drone) or your local muffler shop can put some on that are a little milder than the flowmaster.. You can then sell the flowmasters ( they are universal ) so they can fit other car models not just the sting.

By the by I had flowmasters on the 15 with an xpipe and it was loud as hell all the time but I loved it!

Thanks, I may just take you up on your offer! I'm not sure that I would need a condenser, probably just the mufflers. She does like the loud of the flowmaster but the drone inside of the vehicle makes it impossible to drive as her summer daily driver. I'm going to check around and see what generic stock mufflers would cost, as opposed to shipping. I would guess that yours are center inlet and offset outlet?

Thanks again!

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150
Thanks, I may just take you up on your offer! I'm not sure that I would need a condenser, probably just the mufflers. She does like the loud of the flowmaster but the drone inside of the vehicle makes it impossible to drive as her summer daily driver. I'm going to check around and see what generic stock mufflers would cost, as opposed to shipping. I would guess that yours are center inlet and offset outlet?

Thanks again!

Sure thing just use the pm Feature here and send me a private message if your interested. Cheapest way to go is to go to greyhound.com and get shipping from Hampton, VA to CO. I used them to receive a Whole trunk from San Diego to Virginia and they beat every price.

As far I know the stock ones are the same Outlet/inlet on 15 to 17 cars. The 18 and above are different mufflers. The stock ones I have only have about 5000 miles, just siting in garage for last 5 years ..lol

TopJimmyCooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem PP; 2019 EcoBoost Prem
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks again!
I have Flowmaster catback on mine and they did drone between 1700-2100 rpm. But unless it’s my imagination, I’d say that the drone almost disappeared after I installed the Ford Performance Power Pack 2. Just lots of good throaty growl from the x-pipe and mufflers.
Sponsored