Car Wash goes terribly wrong

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Laughing at everyone who thinks you can wash your car using 2 pairs of gloves and warm water in -40

3 choices, don't drive your car, don't wash your car and leave the salt brine build up or touch-less, take your pick :)

Tom14ct14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Laughing at everyone who thinks you can wash your car using 2 pairs of gloves and warm water in -40

3 choices, don't drive your car, don't wash your car and leave the salt brine build up or touch-less, take your pick :)
I only see one option there, Don't Drive the care when salt is on the ground.

(Just to make sure, to each their own. But that is my rule)

Last edited:

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)

If youā€™ve never lived in a cold climate, you just donā€™t know.
I was pretty young (25) when I moved to Colorado from S Cal in ā€˜84. Letā€™s just say that first year was a real learning experience.

OP
OP
lenFeb

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
I washed my Audi S4 at the same car wash for 9 years, in the winter 3 times in the week. I do full detailing once a year. The car is like new. However, with GT350 I would not do this due to very poor quality of paint. I read somewhere that guys measure thickness of the paint and it shows as twice thinner than normal(weight savings :))

Last edited:

Sponsored

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I washed my Audi S4 at the same car wash for 9 years, in the winter 3 times in the week. I do full detailing once a year. The car is like new. However, with GT350 I would not do this due to very poor quality of paint. I read somewhere that guys measure thickness of the paint and it shows as twice thinner than normal.
Yeah the paint on these things is definitely of poor quality. I have a couple of areas of peeling paint on the bumper cover behind the front seam where the edge of the cover meets the wheel arch. It is not very noticeable since it is mostly on the interface between the bumper cover and the fender so I am going to live with it. It looks similar to the well-documented C7 bumper paint peeling issue. I saw a similar problem on the car I had for Track Attack.

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Funny, the slappy things arenā€™t mentioned as a reason not to take it through a commercial carwash in the Supplemental....

CLEANING THE EXTERIOR
Washing Your Vehicle
Do not drive your vehicle through an automated, commercial car wash due to the vehicleā€™s low ground clearance and tire width. Wash your vehicle by hand, or by using a touchless commercial wash with no mechanical tracks on the floor. Do not use a power washer or high pressure wand. See the Ownerā€™s Manual for information on cleaning products and vehicle care.
All you have to do is check your ground clearance prior to entering. We have a chain of automatic car washes where i live. I have only found a single location so far that I couldn't get into - and it's an older building. The car wash is not touch-less but it's pretty light.

milner_7

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.highdefinitionautodetail.ca
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic

I choose #4: Don't live in a place that gets to -40
Sponsored