Sponsored

Need input from 'mature' drivers ('19 GT Premium, MT86, AE, B&O, 401A, black pckg)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Hey guys, glad to see more comments.

And no, I'm not looking for a quiet car; just not THAT noisy :D. If I wanted quiet, I wouldn't be here. Ha ha.
Here is some comparative data for the Mustang's AE settings.
https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/active-exhaust-modes

I've also seen a video where AE valve behavior was recorded in the various modes. Maybe somebody can find it again and link to it in here.

As the resident stick-shift die-hard (wife and I are both 70-something, and there haven't been any AT cars on our side of the driveway since the early 1970's), it appears that as long as your gearshifting technique is more about guiding the lever from one place to the next and not about how fast or how brutally you can cram the lever across the neutral gate, you shouldn't have any trouble. IOW, don't treat it like a slick-shifted Muncie at the dragstrip, don't be afraid to take a little time, and do use some 'shifter feel'.

Hey gang, I came back because I read a disturbing thread over the F-150 forum that has me a bit concerned. It's about the 5.0 engine. LOTS of engines replaced, and tons of owners having severe oil usage since 2018.
At least part of that may be due to the different way truck engines are used compared to cars . . . and whether or not the truck guys gave their engines any break-in time and miles before subjecting them to heavy use and towing. If nothing else, the trucks' greater weight means that the engine is getting used a little harder even if the truck isn't being driven any harder as seen from the outside. That'd be for an AT Mustang vs the truck being AT-only. I have no idea how MT in the Mustang vs AT in the truck might affect that.

Norm
Sponsored

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Any car line has issues. If you are wanting a completely trouble free car then you won't be buying a car. If you read enough about any car you are gonna find problems with them.

I asked my doctor once to do full blood tests and check everything and their answer was. If you go looking for issues you will find them. This is true of anything. The focus rs had issues and they don't make it any more. The GT350 has issues and they don't make it any more. The Mustang is the number 1 selling sports car in the world and when you sell at that volume yeah there are gonna be some cars with issues. But the whole line? NO. The Mustang not long ago was on several most reliable car lists. Why would you go to a truck forum to look for issues with a Mustang anyway? Truck owners love to bash sports cars.

I have personally owned over 32 cars now all makes and models with this being my 4th mustang. I had more issues with civics and toyotas then I have My mustangs. The s550 engine can take upto 1100 HP from twin turbos with no internal mods and still move right along. The coyote engine is probably one of ford's most bulletproof engines ever. Then there are warranties Honda and toyota love to blame you and not honor warranties. I have never had an issue with Ford. Matter of fact if you find the right dealer most dont even care if you have modified the car. My dealer takes the we didn't see nothing approach cause they just want the work.

Of all 4 of my Mustangs I honestly can't even remember ever taking them to get anything repaired ever and I even (as a immature kid) took my Cobra up the side of a hill by accident and then just floored it and bent two wheels and still the car didn't miss a beat or need a repair. Except my new one, the lumbar didnt work from factory.

Bottom line if issues are front and center in forums then yes you might avoid but when you have to go dig and hunt and unburie old posts about 1 or 2 cars out of 100k a year that had an issue then you might just be talking yourself out of it instead and finding a reason.

To be honest this mustang car forum has the least amount of complaints of any car forum I have ever been on. But if you need a real reason not to by the Mustang its the seat belts LOL God I hate those things. It is the one thing I would think after all this time they could figure out how to mount so they don't keep twisting and having to fight with them. But the other 99.9 percent of the car.... I love it

Just get one is it perfect... nope, no car is. Stop reading and looking for issues and just go drive one. Better yet go find a rent a car that has one and rent it for the week and get a real feel for it.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
OP you are a coming across pretty confusing from my viewpoint.
With all due respect, looks like you're just looking for 'confusion'. We're in a freaking sports car forum, so I'm obviously talking about sports car quiet (meaning not too loud compared to other sports cars), not Lexus quiet. And same with performance options: I don't need any more performance than the GT already provides. Get it now? :D. And no, I don't read every thread on the F-150 forum; there're literally thousands of posts every day. I do read most of the 3.5EB related ones, because that's what I own. Finally, you're also wrong I don't want a GT anymore. Thanks to the dozens of very helpful replies here, I already know that's exactly what I'm looking for given my self-imposed budget; just need to define which trim and options are best for my needs. And no, the GT is not perfect. But since I want a new vehicle, what you get with a GT for the amount of money it costs (leftover '19, so over $10K off MSRP), there just isn't a better alternative. It's quiet enough, performs good enough (even without any performance options), it's luxurious enough (in premium+ guise), and it should be fun enough to drive (have to confirm that still, but have zero doubt now). It needs to be a jack of all trades to me, and with the right options, it can be. Hope that stops any such comments in the future, which don't help at all. Thank you.

Now, looks like I touched some nerves with my engine question, and I apologize if I 'offending' anybody, but was just mentioning a 'potential' problem. I'm a engineer, so nobody needs to tell me no vehicle is perfect, especially a high volume one. But I don't like having to deal with mechanical issues on a brand new car. Having said that, looks like the 5.0 in the Mustang does not have the wide-spread issues it did/does with the trucks, so that was put to rest in my mind already. Thank you very much for those who responded with factual information, rather than lashing out because they felt their beloved car was offended :D.

Finally, I want to end with my Mustang. My first car was a (beat-up) 1970 Mach1 with a 351 shaker hood/3-sp manual my dad bought for my brother and I for $900 (still remember that. Ha ha) to commute to college. It was in really bad shape, so started working right away to save for my first car (as in bought on my own). Mach1 crapped out earlier than expected, so ended up with a 1976 Mustang II 4-banger with a 4-sp manual. It was in good shape except the engine, so I replaced it with an almost new one with a friend. Then, little by little, fixed it up nicely, with new upholstery, new sound system, installed power windows and power door locks, made a new console for it, put wheels, etc. The problem came when I drove a friend's GTI. Even though it was FWD, it felt like light years better than the Mustang, so after graduating from college, bought a brand new one. And never looked at the Mustang again until now, mostly due to not having IRS. And also because I could afford better vehicles, so other than 3 Vettes (all crap), stuck to Japanese and European cars. But now that I've spent a small fortune on chemos for 5 years running, and forced to retire earlier than I wanted, I'm forced to be frugal again. Ha ha. And even though the new Mustang is made to a price point (no aluminum suspension components, not great interior materials, etc), it's a much more compelling package than a generation ago. So happy to end my 'sports car' history with a Mustang too :like:. And with a manual and a NA V8 at that, which is only a matter of time they're gone (no manual Vette anymore).

Finally, if a Bullitt ends up being the better value, is there a way to 'deBullittize' it? I haven't even seen that freaking movie. Ha ha. But those cars are fully loaded, so if I could replace the cheesy logos at the rear of the car and the steering wheel, it'd be great. The sill logo and passenger plaque don't bother me that much, so would probably leave them as is. Wish the black one didn't have green stitching, so not sure which color I'd choose if forced to. But a white or red GT-P+ with AE and black package would be preferred. Haven't found one like I want in a 2019 (found a 2020 but only $5K discount), but similar ones are also being sold at $12K+ discounts too, so rather save a few grand for a car I'd like better. Problem is it's very hard to know the options on AutoTrader, so it'll be a pain, but part of the fun. Thank you all again for the awesome help.

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
Finally, if a Bullitt ends up being the better value, is there a way to 'deBullittize' it? I haven't even seen that freaking movie. Ha ha. But those cars are fully loaded, so if I could replace the cheesy logos at the rear of the car and the steering wheel, it'd be great. The sill logo and passenger plaque don't bother me that much, so would probably leave them as is. Wish the black one didn't have green stitching, so not sure which color I'd choose if forced to. But a white or red GT-P+ with AE and black package would be preferred. Haven't found one like I want in a 2019 (found a 2020 but only $5K discount), but similar ones are also being sold at $12K+ discounts too, so rather save a few grand for a car I'd like better. Problem is it's very hard to know the options on AutoTrader, so it'll be a pain, but part of the fun. Thank you all again for the awesome help.
If it were me, I'd pick a color I like rather than forced to pick a color I didn't like so Bullitt is out. You want black package? It means Magneride is out as well since black package and PP1 can't go together. You want Mangeride? You must have PP1 or PP2. Sounds like you know exactly what you are looking for. Good luck!

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Yeah, it's black package, OR PP1 with magneride (MR). PP1 alone is a no-go for sure, but still have to determine if PP1/MR is equal or better (in soft mode) than stock suspension. My biggest detraction of PP1 is the tires, so I'm hoping the stock suspension is equal or better (as far as ride) than PP1/MR in soft. If that's the case, then PP1/MR would be out, and so is the Bullitt :D. But if they're the same, at least I have an option, in case I can't find a regular GT with the options I want. The Bullitt is not a deal-breaker, since I rather pay less for a better equipped car, but I still have to determine where PP1/MR (in soft) is in reference to stock. And if I can't find a leftover 2019 how I want it at a better price than the Bullitt, it'd be a hard decision, but I'd probably opt for the latter, especially if the PP1/MR combo is at least as good as stock suspension. And just change the tires (Pilot Sport A/S3s).

Forgot to say on my previous post that my wife might override this car, but I feel so strongly that she'd find it acceptable, that I'm thinking of buying the Mustang up-front before selling the truck, and see if she likes it. I could sell the truck privately after a long trip. Yes, I'd lose the tax advantage, but it'd be a small price to pay to have one last manual V8 car in my life. Ha ha. Will call Hertz and see if they have a 2019 Mustang GT, and which options it has, but really doubt it'd be available locally. But very good idea :D.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
OP, to address your response above. No, I am not looking for confusion; I see that enough in the community. You really have been all over the spectrum as to what you want and don't want in whatever car it is that you choose. I suggest test-driving every one of the combinations you have listed above, and if the price is right then Good luck! Word of caution, if you decide on a Hertz rental, expect that those who rent Mustang GTs, and other decent sport cars don't always baby that rental....ask me how I know :)

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Not to be offencive here but I personally never understood people buying a car based on what wheels and tires it has on it. The tires are consumables they will go sooner or later anyway. And most people change wheels anyhow. I wouldnt let it stop me from getting the car I want. Matter of fact I didn't. I found the car I wanted but hated the wheels. I bought it and next day had the wheels and tires on here for sale someone bought them I got what i wanted for tires and wheels and it was a wash. I got the car I wanted and with only minimal effort the wheels and tires too with no extra cost.

Also I will add in my personal opinion. The pp1 pp2 magna ride and all that I think people make a bigger deal of that stuff then its worth. PP1 most the stuff people will have off the car in the first year anyway and replaced with aftermarket any how so is a waste of money really. pp2 most of that cost is the wheels and tires and again your gonna wear the tires out anyway and get new ones so why spend the extra up front? magna ride eh... I ve driven them all pp1 pp2 magneride.. and not test drives but buddies cars.. is there really that much difference??? again eh... worth the money....again eh not in my opinion. Plus if you are gonna do any mods at all to the suspension magna rid makes it more difficult and more expensive.

if the cost were more resonable sure but the gt is already a top car even in base and all these packages do is add some fluff and glitter. are there differences? sure is it worth the money... eh. is the money spent worth the small amount of changes? Not really. My buddy has a all decked out pp1 car. I have the gt premium and I specifically got a non pp1 car because i was gonna mod it anyway and whats the point of spending money on stuff you are gonna take off? But anyway before either of us modded... now our cars are identicle in everyway except the pp1 pack he has.... we drove around raced and even went to drag strip... the difference 5k makes... honestly very little. Hes even stated he wished he didn't spend the money.

I am in no way saying I am right or telling you to do or not do anything. Do what makes you happy. IM just sharing my opinion.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Finally, if a Bullitt ends up being the better value, is there a way to 'deBullittize' it? I haven't even seen that freaking movie. Ha ha. But those cars are fully loaded, so if I could replace the cheesy logos at the rear of the car and the steering wheel, it'd be great.
First of all, before you do anything else, go watch Bullitt, the universe will be out of balance until you do that.

As I explained in my post about MR, there's not a "soft", it's standard, sport and various track settings, since it's on a PP1 car, it's already a bit stiffer, but that's not the whole story. I find the adaptive compliance with uneven roads, makes it more comfortable, even if the ride is "stiffer".

Anyway, the rear trunk panel has holes for alignment pins on the badge, but Ford Performance makes a blank panel (also some aftermarket options), so that's easily (well, it's a PITA) changed for ~$150. Some folks have done custom steering wheel center button caps, it's a tricky aftermarket part due to the concern over the airbag firing a cover into your skull ...

I'd definitely forgo the Bullitt, that does not seem to be a good fit for you. Based on not wanting "extra things to break", comfy ride, tire preference, etc.m here's the car you should track down:

GT Premium
Manual
3.55 Gears
Ebony Package
Active Exhaust

Whatever other options come your way like B&O audio, Smart & Safe, etc., in your preferred interior and exterior color.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
You were thinking just like I was when I bought mine. Had new wheels and tires waiting in the garage for the car (still need to list my under 500 mile wheels and tires:)), changed out the springs and exhaust, planning to change out the shocks and add components to stop the hop, upgrade the brakes, add high hp half shafts, add upgraded oil pump gears, add different rear spoiler and not one of the PP spoilers. Yep, I know exactly what you mean. Now for those, that plan to leave it, as Ford delivered, I'm sure they see the value in the PP1 or PP2.

Not to be offencive here but I personally never understood people buying a car based on what wheels and tires it has on it. The tires are consumables they will go sooner or later anyway. And most people change wheels anyhow. I wouldnt let it stop me from getting the car I want. Matter of fact I didn't. I found the car I wanted but hated the wheels. I bought it and next day had the wheels and tires on here for sale someone bought them I got what i wanted for tires and wheels and it was a wash. I got the car I wanted and with only minimal effort the wheels and tires too with no extra cost.

Also I will add in my personal opinion. The pp1 pp2 magna ride and all that I think people make a bigger deal of that stuff then its worth. PP1 most the stuff people will have off the car in the first year anyway and replaced with aftermarket any how so is a waste of money really. pp2 most of that cost is the wheels and tires and again your gonna wear the tires out anyway and get new ones so why spend the extra up front? magna ride eh... I ve driven them all pp1 pp2 magneride.. and not test drives but buddies cars.. is there really that much difference??? again eh... worth the money....again eh not in my opinion. Plus if you are gonna do any mods at all to the suspension magna rid makes it more difficult and more expensive.

if the cost were more resonable sure but the gt is already a top car even in base and all these packages do is add some fluff and glitter. are there differences? sure is it worth the money... eh. is the money spent worth the small amount of changes? Not really. My buddy has a all decked out pp1 car. I have the gt premium and I specifically got a non pp1 car because i was gonna mod it anyway and whats the point of spending money on stuff you are gonna take off? But anyway before either of us modded... now our cars are identicle in everyway except the pp1 pack he has.... we drove around raced and even went to drag strip... the difference 5k makes... honestly very little. Hes even stated he wished he didn't spend the money.

I am in no way saying I am right or telling you to do or not do anything. Do what makes you happy. IM just sharing my opinion.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
No, I am not looking for confusion;
The other day, I was looking for a cable, and inadvertently found some confusion ... didn't like it, put it out by the curb.

You were thinking just like I was when I bought mine. Had new wheels and tires waiting in the garage for the car (still need to list my under 500 mile wheels and tires:))
I had the dealer swap the aftermarket wheels/tires from my '16 to my '19 when I picked it up, did a 5 minute test drive with the OEM wheels, that was the last I saw of them :D

I almost __never__ like OEM wheels, it's an easy way to change the looks of the car, and the offsets are usually pretty mediocre (in terms of aesthetics).

Sponsored

Blufc3s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Premium GT PP1, 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
8D2B0042-BAC0-4F50-9850-09EF6E671A8E.jpeg
B3CAA787-B7EF-48C0-88B2-47C586E11BBD.jpeg
3DAE2585-EDD4-432E-883F-CA365335E9C2.jpeg
S[QUOTE="Elp_jc, post: 2885722, member: 4

4. Any suggestions to make the car quieter, please discuss it here. Heard there's a 'tube', which I imagine is an intake tube to pipe engine sound to the cabin. Where is it? And how easy is to remove? And how much noise it eliminates? I HATE intake noise, so I'd definitely remove that. If I want to hear the engine, that'd be the job of the AE in sport mode. Are the front windows double-pane, like on my truck? With the window open, you can easily see the 'sandwich' if so equipped.
JC[/QUOTE]
I insulated the car from the front seats back. Probably not necessary but it’s a long winter and I was looking for a project. My wife is 74 and hated most of my sports cars, 350Z, etc but loves the Mustang, easy to get in, and relatively quiet.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
8D2B0042-BAC0-4F50-9850-09EF6E671A8E.jpeg
B3CAA787-B7EF-48C0-88B2-47C586E11BBD.jpeg
3DAE2585-EDD4-432E-883F-CA365335E9C2.jpeg
S[QUOTE="Elp_jc, post: 2885722, member: 4

4. Any suggestions to make the car quieter, please discuss it here. Heard there's a 'tube', which I imagine is an intake tube to pipe engine sound to the cabin. Where is it? And how easy is to remove? And how much noise it eliminates? I HATE intake noise, so I'd definitely remove that. If I want to hear the engine, that'd be the job of the AE in sport mode. Are the front windows double-pane, like on my truck? With the window open, you can easily see the 'sandwich' if so equipped.
JC
I insulated the car from the front seats back. Probably not necessary but it’s a long winter and I was looking for a project. My wife is 74 and hated most of my sports cars, 350Z, etc but loves the Mustang, easy to get in, and relatively quiet.[/QUOTE]
I did the exact same thing with the exact same material. I meantioned him to do same :). it makes a great difference and is cheap and only takes an afternoon.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Not to be offensive here but I personally never understood people buying a car based on what wheels and tires it has on it.
I don't, as I clearly said I'd replace the tires on the Bullitt. But in reality, I'd probably just buy an entire 19" black wheel/tire package take-off, and sell my Bullitt wheel/tire package. Wheels are so ugly there might be no takers, but I'd try. Ha ha. I just prefer not having to mess with that, but not a huge deal. I just MUCH prefer sticking with factory equipment, and that's exactly what I'd do in this case, since I like that package.

The sound deadening project above is exactly what I'd do if the car ends up being borderline noisy for my wife. Again, rather not do it on a brand new car, but I would if necessary.

I don't plan to modify the Mustang mechanically at all... unless absolutely necessary. And by that I mean minor stuff, like maybe the clutch spring (if necessary to extend the pedal all the way up), shift knob, etc. I don't mess with cars anymore. If they're not powerful enough, don't ride good enough, etc., I just move on to something that does :D. I'm sure the GT will be what I expect it to be, even for my wife, so don't think it'll be a problem. Just have to be able to test drive one, and don't know when. Going back to mods, I'd immediately remove the sound tube from the engine compartment (I already know how; just have to look for a 'kit' to cap it), but don't consider than a 'mechanical modification' (more like a cosmetic one) . I'd do other cosmetic stuff, like 35% tint, FORScan changes, add a BlendMount radar detector mirror mount (Iike on my truck), etc. And if I end up with a Bullitt, remove the stupid rear cap/emblem for 'GT' (or replace panel with a Ford Perf blank one if needed), and the steering wheel center for a 'GT' or Ford logo one (whichever comes with a regular GT). But that's about it.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hey guys, NOTHING available to drive locally and semi-locally (4 dealers), except the only one dealer who is not allowing test-drives now, and it happens to be the only one which has manual GTs... but all are Bullitts (4). Geez. So this process will take longer than I wanted. Oh well.

Found a black 2019 Bullitt with MR and electronic package for $40,840 out the door in OH, which is an $11K+ discount, so I'd try to make the local dealer match that if I can't find a regular GT P+ like I want. I think they have 1 black and 1 green like the above. Another black has Recaros, and the other green doesn't have MR. Anyway, just wanted to show you I'm making progress :D.

Finally, just for giggles, found out the Ford website lists the Bullitt as 15/25 MPG, but an actual window sticker shows 14/23. Hmmm. AND a $1,000 gas guzzler tax. Weird, huh? I assume all PPs. The 2019 Bullitt is listed as 15/24. Guess Ford was forced to downrate it even more, but forgot to update their website since the first revision. It makes sense that HWY mileage is lower due to the 3.73 Torsen. By the way, the Bullitt doesn't list a Torsen anywhere on the window sticker; wonder if it even has it. Hmmm. That's all for now.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Hey guys, NOTHING available to drive locally and semi-locally (4 dealers), except the only one dealer who is not allowing test-drives now, and it happens to be the only one which has manual GTs... but all are Bullitts (4). Geez. So this process will take longer than I wanted. Oh well.

Found a black 2019 Bullitt with MR and electronic package for $40,840 out the door in OH, which is an $11K+ discount, so I'd try to make the local dealer match that if I can't find a regular GT P+ like I want. I think they have 1 black and 1 green like the above. Another black has Recaros, and the other green doesn't have MR. Anyway, just wanted to show you I'm making progress :D.

Finally, just for giggles, found out the Ford website lists the Bullitt as 15/25 MPG, but an actual window sticker shows 14/23. Hmmm. AND a $1,000 gas guzzler tax. Weird, huh? I assume all PPs. The 2019 Bullitt is listed as 15/24. Guess Ford was forced to downrate it even more, but forgot to update their website since the first revision. It makes sense that HWY mileage is lower due to the 3.73 Torsen. By the way, the Bullitt doesn't list a Torsen anywhere on the window sticker; wonder if it even has it. Hmmm. That's all for now.
Just fyi. If you want heated/ventilated seats then you cant get recaro. Those seats dont have the feature.
Sponsored