Ford to build respirators instead of Mustangs

Sevensixteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT, MT-82, 2024 Bronco, Big Bend, SAS
Tesla will be building ventilators in their New York factory. We’re did you get China from?
The faulty ventilators that we’re getting were built in China
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
The faulty ventilators that we’re getting were built in China
Yes, but those weren’t built by Tesla. Some of the China sourced product was defective but no more so than some of the Vents that were in the Federal reserve. The bottom line is that there has been a severe shortage of supplies for years now. No one wanted to spend the money to buy them. Hopefully this will be a lesson learned, although I doubt it.

Sevensixteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Yes, but those weren’t built by Tesla. Some of the China sourced product was defective but no more so than some of the Vents that were in the Federal reserve. The bottom line is that there has been a severe shortage of supplies for years now. No one wanted to spend the money to buy them. Hopefully this will be a lesson learned, although I doubt it.
Your right & I totally agree, America’s tend to get complacent

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Your right & I totally agree, America’s tend to get complacent
I'm not sure it's complacency exactly.
How often in the past have we needed medical equipment in the numbers we do now? Ventilators cost between $20k - $50k each depending on their complexity. How many hospitals, or even the mega health care systems, can afford to have a couple hundred sitting in storage for each facility? And that's not considering the beds, monitors, drug pumps and all the other mega expensive extras, much of which has an expiration date? How many of you would want a family member relying on a 30 year old ventalator that's been sitting in a box in a warehouse?
Hospitals are basically just businesses facing the same financial challenges that every business faces. Maybe more so because of the extra regulation they face. Not to mention the most common complaint, the already high cost of healthcare.
No, I don't think this was being complacent, just a worst case scenario that was maybe to expensive for modern health care to prepare for.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
first off :

Screenshot (1131).png

Sponsored

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
second off :

Screenshot (1132).png

Sevensixteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
How often in the past have we needed medical equipment in the numbers we do now? Ventilators cost between $20k - $50k each depending on their complexity. How many hospitals, or even the mega health care systems, can afford to have a couple hundred sitting in storage for each facility? And that's not considering the beds, monitors, drug pumps and all the other mega expensive extras, much of which has an expiration date? How many of you would want a family member relying on a 30 year old ventalator that's been sitting in a box in a warehouse?
Hospitals are basically just businesses facing the same financial challenges that every business faces. Maybe more so because of the extra regulation they face. Not to mention the most common complaint, the already high cost of healthcare.
No, I don't think this was being complacent, just a worst case scenario that was maybe to expensive for modern health care to prepare for.
You definitely made a valid point there

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
All of your points are valid but isn't that what the federal surplus stockpile is supposed to be for. We pay for our federal government through our taxes and in return we expect them to be prepared for a worst case scenario. You and all of your brothers and sisters are suffering, and even some dying, because of the total incompetence of our federal government. And I'm not just talking about the last three years. The blame for this goes back many administrations.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
All of your points are valid but isn't that what the federal surplus stockpile is supposed to be for. We pay for our federal government through our taxes and in return we expect them to be prepared for a worst case scenario. You and all of your brothers and sisters are suffering, and even some dying, because of the total incompetence of our federal government. And I'm not just talking about the last three years. The blame for this goes back many administrations.
I won't argue that the federal government isn't inept, inefficient, wasteful and sometimes (often) incompetent. But.
The federal surplus stockpile is meant to be a bridge in times of crisis while industry catches up. Our emergency stockpiles, whichever one you choose, are not meant to provide everything everyone needs. They're meant as a stopgap or to ease outside pressure. We're living through some pretty science fiction crap right now and, yes, we all could have been better prepared but to say we need to prepare for every worst case scenario possible would be prohibitive on many levels. Example; China and North Korea team up and launch an all out nuclear attack on the world, or even just the US. Should we have fall out shelters for every single person? Hazmat suits, geiger counters? Should we be building underground living facilities and infrastructure for the survivors? Or, what if, it's just an EMP attack, should the government be stockpiling ECUs for motor vehicles, computers, laptops, phones, mainframes, cell towers, etc for everyone affected. Even doing that for just all of the truly essential people would be prohibitive. And what about an asteroid strike? Scientists tell us that is a "when" not "if" thing a
How do we prepare for just those 3 things much less the dozens of other things that could happen? And how do we pay for that preparedness? How much more in taxes would you support to fund those things?
I'm not trying to justify the faults and failings of the shitty situation were going through but a lot of it is just the result of hard decisions, and gambling really, that truly worst, worst case doesn't happen.

Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
During WW2 when the manufacturing giants like Ford and GM were redeployed to mass produce high tech weapons of war they learnt from this period. In the immediate post war years when manufacturing of cars resumed, they were not only styled more like aircraft but the electronics and power trains took on aircraft technologies.

Maybe ford will also learn important lessons from this episode in history. Imagine if mustangs could be painted in a sealed spray booth with no contamination to achieve good paint quality. Imagine if panel gaps could be made consistent and small. Imagine if condensers could be designed to last a whole 10 years not months.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Slightly off topic, but this is a superb book which I highly recommend. Incredible how such a facility was changed to build airplanes.......and built by a workforce new to the industry (many of them women, of course). That it helped win a World Ward is an incredible story.
Arsenal.jpg
Sponsored