Sponsored

The Official M6G Investment thread

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
And how does one “get out” without penalties - or for the many who are in their employers 401k? Sounds easy, but probably isn’t, right?
You should be able to convert stocks and bonds and mutual funds over to a cash money market account within your retirement plan. If you get a check, you will pay taxes and penalties.
Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Thank you for the advice, I really do appreciate it.
A lot of this stuff is new to me. Growing up we were dirt poor. My Dads goal was to just pay off his home, so I basically thought the same way he did. Using capitol in other markets is smarter, but for me, it FELT better, and carried less anxiety.
For me, I wouldn't live to retirement if I carried all the anxiety of debt.
I don't know how my Dad did it, as he had a lot of anxiety too. He died with no home and about $200. in his account. The way I seen him though, he was the greatest...

I was fortunate/smart enough to max out the SEP IRA the last 4 years. I kept most of it in SVWXX until late 2019 when I decided to make a trade. Was a good trade that I sold a month ago for 130K profit. I realize, not all trades go so well.
As far as where I'm at now, almost 49, I have no debt and my assets are around 2M, with 1/2 in cash. I'll also be able to max 2020 SEP IRA , plus add wages
I'm thinking of selling my business, so that will move to cash, which will invest as well.
I've had a labor job for over 30 years and my joints are always sore, so I'll probably try to find work, less labor intensive, but will also make much less, I'm sure.
I have no college education, but the last 6 years I've maxed out my two boys plan 529, so I'm hoping they don't have to ware their bones out trying to make a living.
So, here I am, trying to research and ask questions and make the best decision I can for the time I got left. Nothing is going to be the perfect choice, but I hope to make an informed one. Thanks again

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone using “Robin Hood” or is that a garbage system for trading colors to Vanguard for others?
total crap. they're infrastructure can't handle any load. Find a proper broker like Ameritrade, eTrade etc. - transaction fees are down to almost zero across the industry anyway.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You have no way of knowing that,
the world economy is already going thru some very significant shocks and they're only going to get worse.
If I knew anything for certain I would have made $$$ as the stock market whipsawed up and down 5% every other day.

When things are this out of control you get out of the market. A market maker in Chicago just got liquidated on Friday around 3pm. Many billions lost. And they are supposed to be the 'smart' guys.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
And how does one “get out” without penalties - or for the many who are in their employers 401k? Sounds easy, but probably isn’t, right?
You move the slider to the left... LOL. It's about all you can do.

Sponsored

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
I had three different IRA's and two 401K's that I rolled into one IRA rollover account (it offers zero trading commissions).

You just do the paperwork to the place that you choose to consolidate all of the other accounts. Check the website and call them for questions.

I say stay invested in low fee stuff.

This sickness will pass soon. Stay focused on your long term goals.

jefffrot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
Subscribing.
I got out before the drop. Just gonna monitor and go from there.
Fed has been pumping market and bailing banks. Inflation is a killer but I'll have to deal with that.
Anyone here use Schwab? Anything there that could yield 1% or above? was thinking about transferring some funds to wealthfront, as they have good rates on savings accounts.
I have a brokerage checking on Schwab as well as a SEP IRA. All currently in cash, although I may buy something tomorrow ;)
I use Schwab. Look at the Schwab value advantage money market fund. It was yielding about 1.5% but I imagine it will be going down due to the recent rate cut. You may might also want to look at opening a high yield savings account. I have one from American Express which was yielding about 1.7%.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You may might also want to look at opening a high yield savings account. I have one from American Express which was yielding about 1.7%.
1.7% annual vs 3% every month with a bond fund.

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
1.7% annual vs 3% every month with a bond fund.
I like short term rates.

The rates on longer term bonds are very risky. When the bond market reprices the yields on long term rates, I'd say that it will be very bad for the current owners.

I am not predicting that it will happen. I am saying the risk that it may happen is ignored in today's pricing.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If Ford stock drops any lower it will be a Penny Stock... then I’m all in and will buy it all.... LMAO...

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
If Ford stock drops any lower it will be a Penny Stock... then I’m all in and will buy it all.... LMAO...
Then you could retire with two pennies. Ford execs seem to be spiraling down the pathway of bad choices.

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Reports that 20000 Americans including 136 children have succumbed to the flu this season. Not that many coronavirus deaths in the entire world. I am remaining optimistic about my portfolio and viewing this as a buying opportunity. Difference between now and the last crash? Jobs, people still have jobs and are not defaulting on their houses like in 2006.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Jobs, people still have jobs and are not defaulting on their houses like in 2006.
yet

Give it time, Many of the same malfeasance that plagued the housing market was put back in place, but also this time we have tuition and autos in just as bad if not worse situation.
Sponsored