corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
My wife turned her head to look and therefore didn't see the guy in front of her slam on his brakes. She ended up tapping him at under 5 mph. Her Outback didn't have a mark. The plastic license plate frame on the Outback did buckle the rear fender on the F150 in front of her, with $1900 damage as a result.
I have my doubts that Hyundai's solution would have prevented her incident.

It takes time to put a directional signal on and then look down at a video display. Looking at an image down in the IP and visually inside the steering wheel rim isn't necessarily any better than throwing a glance out the side window.

Separately, I'm wondering how long it might be before the need to maintain sufficient awareness of all of these new "driver assists" turns into overload. What I am relatively certain of is that this would vary among individuals, and probably locations as well.

Norm
Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
In the old days (particularly on European cars) when the mirrors were mounted out near the front end of the fenders, the field of view of those mirrors was much better, plus they were more in your field of vision while driving than door mounted mirrors. Presumably saving pedestrians did away with them, but they were actually better than what we have now. I set my side mirrors so that as a vehicle leaves the centre mirror it becomes visible in the side mirror. Many people set their door mirrors in way too far and as a result are losing a lot of blind spot visibility.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Presumably saving pedestrians did away with them
door-mounted are sexy, hood very much not. Plus if you want to adjust (before all this modern motor gizmos) door mounted could be done from the seat, hood-mounted required getting in/out of the car multiple times. Door mounted are all style/design, not efficacy.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
In the old days (particularly on European cars) when the mirrors were mounted out near the front end of the fenders, the field of view of those mirrors was much better, plus they were more in your field of vision while driving than door mounted mirrors. Presumably saving pedestrians did away with them, but they were actually better than what we have now. I set my side mirrors so that as a vehicle leaves the centre mirror it becomes visible in the side mirror. Many people set their door mirrors in way too far and as a result are losing a lot of blind spot visibility.
A respected analyst says that if you can see any of your car in the side mirrors, you're wasting useful view.

First mod on my MGs was the "wing" mirrors. Second, come to think of it, was the "Wink" mirror.

MGroadsterAtHoltvill Close shot.jpg

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
A respected analyst says that if you can see any of your car in the side mirrors, you're wasting useful view.

First mod on my MGs was the "wing" mirrors. Second, come to think of it, was the "Wink" mirror.

MGroadsterAtHoltvill Close shot.jpg
I wonder how many people here knew what a Wink mirror was without having to look it up.

Seeing tiny amounts of your car in the side mirrors at least gives you hard reference points from which to judge where another vehicle might be in relation to your car. Simply knowing that it's there might not always be enough.

Norm

Sponsored

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase

doccoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
1967 fastback, 2019 Bullitt
frustrating. My wife's new Navigator (basically a ford) has a wonderful HUD... speed, time, speed limit, miles till empty and temp. Also blinks yellow lane safety info if you stray. all laid out perfectly. Mustangs should have this.
Sponsored