corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I think I have opened my hood a grand total of 1 time since I bought the car. What ya gotta open it so much for that requires all that time and effort to dress it up? Just curious
At just about any sort of car show or meet, hoods up is pretty much expected. Cars that don't have their hoods open tend to get much less attention than those with open hoods. And cars whose underhood views "pop" more tend to get more favorable attention than those that have been left stock.

It's really just a more serious level of detailing than wash/wax/claybar, and as mentioned is done at least as much for others as for yourself. Though I suppose if you need it to be there for noise suppression, making it look good to you could be reason enough.

Norm
Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I think I have opened my hood a grand total of 1 time since I bought the car. What ya gotta open it so much for that requires all that time and effort to dress it up? Just curious not putting yall down . I just don't have any need to open my hood. Gets opened at oil change time by FORD. Other than that it's never open so I personally don't care what it looks like under there.
My ex-wife said when gearheads get together they always look at each other's engines, it's like dogs sniffing each other's butts, a way to say "hello, you're my kind". I did mention she is an ex, didn't I? ;)

Sponsored

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Dressing mine up gave me a reason to go do car shows and meet some awesome people. I like to do more with my car besides just drive it.
I prety much got to car shows meets 2 times a week. Ive made friends and do many many many car things and I still dont open the hood :) everyone and their grandmother has seen mustang engine... again its what makes ya happy i just personally don't get it. I rather spend the time and money on outside or performance.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
At just about any sort of car show or meet, hoods up is pretty much expected. Cars that don't have their hoods open tend to get much less attention than those with open hoods. And cars whose underhood views "pop" more tend to get more favorable attention than those that have been left stock.

It's really just a more serious level of detailing than wash/wax/claybar, and as mentioned is done at least as much for others as for yourself. Though I suppose if you need it to be there for noise suppression, making it look good to you could be reason enough.

Norm
I can respect your thoughts on it but disagree. My car almost 100% ends up in every meets pictures line up and i get many many compliments and i never once put my hood up. My opinion but i actually hate all the hoods up cant see the car... just a row of open hoods blocking the view of the beautiful cars... its an engine so what. I want to see the lines and the flow and the design not a bunch of open gaping view blocking hoods.

again not putting anyone down everyone like what they like. Just not for me.

Last edited:

Kleiss1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6- speed
bdm219. That looks great. Under the hood is the finishing touch.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
That's beautiful, did you do the painting yourself? Where did you buy the correct color paint?

I can't stop looking at this. Not sure it'd look as good in any other color. The radioactive green really works.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I respect your opinion but you have to remember, some feel the exact same about going to car shows. For some, it would be why put that much effort into getting a car ready for a car show, when all they are going to do is drive it from point A to point B. I would say it is all about being an individual and making "your car" have your own personal touch. I love all the personal touches that people do to their vehicles.......heck I even borrow some of their ideas from time to time.

I can respect your thoughts on it but disagree. My car almost 100% ends up in every meets pictures line up and i get many many compliments and i never once put my hood up. My opinion but i actually hate all the hoods up cant see the car... just a row of open hoods blocking the view of the beautiful cars... its an engine so what. I want to see the lines and the flow and the design not a bunch of open gaping view blocking hoods.

again not putting anyone down everyone like what they like. Just not for me.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I can respect your thoughts on it but disagree. My car almost 100% ends up in every meets pictures line up and i get many many compliments and i never once put my hood up.
Nice that your car gets recognition, but :dunno: . . . maybe things are just different in your neck of the woods.

I get out to two or three car shows a year (just to walk around in, not as an entrant) and what I consistently see is people giving the closed-hood cars a brief glance - barely breaking stride - before moving on to look at the next car. If I wasn't seeing this in other people, I'd write it off as just me wanting to see more about the car than I'd be able to see at any other time should its path and mine happen to cross. But if I'm not going to see any more of a car than I would if I was to park next to it at the Home Depot or the Best Buy, I'm going to feel that it's simply being 'parked at a show' rather than 'shown'.

I'm not sure which direction I would take if I was to actually enter a show. I'm not particularly interested in showing off a stockish engine with only a cold air kit & tune - it really isn't much to look at - but I think I'd crack the hood open just enough so that onlookers would be able to tell that there really is a V8 under there rather than a V6 with a V8-appearing exhaust system. Give the show-go'ers reason to pause and maybe they'll pick up on the more serious stuff I've done.

Norm

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I really dislike the engine cover on my 2019 GT . There are so many for 2017 and down. I canā€™t find anything for the gen 3 Coyote
Chances are that the earlier Coyote buyers felt the same way until the aftermarket got geared up to produce their own takes on what the engine cover should look like.

From the other pictures I can see where you might not care for the OE engine cover, or perhaps any of the offerings that will probably show up.

Personally, I'd rather see a nice set of DOHC cam covers and an intake manifold than any cover. Like in the old days when it was carburetors and valve covers, show me an engine, not what it's being hidden with.

Norm

Jackthewack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT mt82 magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I think I have opened my hood a grand total of 1 time since I bought the car. What ya gotta open it so much for that requires all that time and effort to dress it up? Just curious not putting yall down . I just don't have any need to open my hood. Gets opened at oil change time by FORD. Other than that it's never open so I personally don't care what it looks like under there.
You should open it alot more often to check your oil. the coyote is known to consumes some oil.