Sponsored

Broke my White Madness shifter...

BlackEB2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I was removing my WM Shifter and as I was trying to tug it up off the shifter shaft, I felt the shifter knob turn in my hand and then I heard it click. From that moment on, it was locked and will no longer work, even off the car. BTW, I put the stock shifter back on the car and it works perfectly. Anyone have a similar issue and if so any fix?

This is the shifter I have: https://www.wmgarage.com/product-page/automatic-shaft-conversion-kit
Sponsored

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
Get in touch with WM and explain what happened. As far as issues with my WM shifter. It works perfect. And as far as my dealings with them. This is my 2nd one. I wanted to try something custom with them and they worked with me and made every bit of the process very enjoyable.

OP
OP

BlackEB2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I've emailed them, but never had a reply. Guess I'll try calling them as the shifter is only 8 months old.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I don't understand what happened here?
Have any photos of what you're talking about?

BlackMambaGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gord
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
If you look at the picture of the shifter in the link I posted above, the chrome ring attached to the shifter shaft is supposed to move up and down, which allows you to move between the gears. My shifter is stuck or locked and won't move up and down.

Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
If you look at the picture of the shifter in the link I posted above, the chrome ring attached to the shifter shaft is supposed to move up and down, which allows you to move between the gears. My shifter is stuck or locked and won't move up and down.
How did that happen? Sounds like a bad install??

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Hmmm, been a while since I had mine. I know you had to push down to get it to activate the mechanism to shift from P, or into R, and I think into S as well? If I had to guess, what you did was pull it up (did you have both screws out?) hard enough that the metal shaft came too far out of the knob and got stuck and wouldn't go back in. I know there was some play in mine, and maybe it caught an edge trying to go into the knob and got stuck?

If it's the newer or fixed model, you should be able to unscrew the stay-plate under the knob and just pull the knob off, realign everything, and stick in back on. First though, I'd grab the knob with one hand, grab the end of the metal shaft, and try pulling them apart a bit, maybe rotate the knob too, and see if it goes back into place.

BlackMambaGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gord
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
The folks at White Madness Garage did get in touch with me. Turns out shipping my damaged shifter to them from Canada, having it repaired and then shipped back to me in Canada would cost more than a new shifter. WMG did offer me 15% off anew shifter, which I though was decent of them to do. I refused the offer, because I'm now nervous as to how easily I was able to damage the shifter. I'll look at other products.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
What actually broke?

BlackMambaGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gord
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I'm not really sure what broke. I was removing the shifter from the car and was wiggling it back an forth by holding onto the shifter ball and pulling up. I felt the shifter ball turn in my hand and heard a click. Now the mechanism that allows the lock out ring to move up and down the shaft is frozen and won't move. I'm going to look into the Hurst or Barton shifters as they seem to have a more solid design/
Sponsored