Dealer Wrecks Customer's Supercharged Ford Mustang GT During Rowdy Test Drive

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Well, thats where I bought my GT this past summer.

It's over an hour from my house though so it's not my usual dealer. I wonder what the tech driving actually did to cause that much damage lol,
Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I'd be curious to see what the black box data shows for the 5 seconds prior to impact?

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
What irritates me the most about situations like this are that the person responsible is usually the one least affected. The dealer has fork over the money and deal with the PR nightmare and the OP had their new, not even broken in, car totalled. The person who totaled the thing gets what, a citation, and is fired? They were already probably making the bare minimum changing oil which they can go anywhere to do. The citation won't ever really come up, and employers can't legally inquire about termination.

I knew two guys like this when I worked at a shop and they could care less. One didn't even have a driver's license but somehow was driving the cars. Next thing you know, one of the clowns strips off the left side of a customer's car by hitting a PARKED plow truck. What happened to him? Nothing, the spotter was blamed. I tried my best to defend the guy spotting because, symantics I know, the damn plow was parked. But alas... I quit shortly after that nightmare.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2001 Bullitt, 2004 Mystichrome Convertible, 2017 GT Premium
All he said / they said drama aside - I thought you couldn't maintain the STB with a blower? I've got the Roush/Ford Racing/VMP blower on mine - no way to do so. What blower is that?

pozi240

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 700A HP 6M FJG, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
I live about 25 miles from this dealership. I've never dealt with them personally as the dealership I use is a town over.
I'm glad they stepped up to make it right.

It's funny considering we've had 12+ inches of snow here over the course of 8-9 days, so I already know what happened.. A test drive turned into a joy ride matched with par freezing Temps and slick roads..
The first thing that jumped out at me was the fact that the car still has the OEM Michelin PS2 Cup's on it.... and it is certainly cold enough to still have ice and snow on the ground. Major "red flag" for even just a normal GT PP2, let alone an extra 250hp. Yikes, i would have refused to "test drive" if I were a tech with those tires in winter.

Sponsored

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
All he said / they said drama aside - I thought you couldn't maintain the STB with a blower? I've got the Roush/Ford Racing/VMP blower on mine - no way to do so. What blower is that?
I was wondering that myself... The STB was removed with my 2016 because the blower was too tall... It is a 2018, so I know that the hood is different, and it appears to be a regular Roush/Ford Performance Blower.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I don’t like the dealerships attitude it doesn’t matter if he was Made whole it doesn’t matter if he came out ahead. They treated his car like shit. I have Worked for dealerships and repair shops. this kind of Mistreatment of customer property happens every day. If it wasn’t a brand new car they would’ve said something on the car failed and caused the accident I’ve seen it

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
The first thing that jumped out at me was the fact that the car still has the OEM Michelin PS2 Cup's on it.... and it is certainly cold enough to still have ice and snow on the ground. Major "red flag" for even just a normal GT PP2, let alone an extra 250hp. Yikes, i would have refused to "test drive" if I were a tech with those tires in winter.
This is someone that knows what they’re talking about

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
In the winter time those tires will get you killed
Even the PS4S is rough in the winter lol.

I'm close to where this dealer is and I took my car out yesterday in the 45 degree weather and dry roads we had and rolling into 1st on the on-ramp was rowdy.

Sponsored

Tim_bits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timmer
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram and 2020 GT500
Even the PS4S is rough in the winter lol.

I'm close to where this dealer is and I took my car out yesterday in the 45 degree weather and dry roads we had and rolling into 1st on the on-ramp was rowdy.
I drove my base GT500 home on clear roads on a 20 degree day. My butthole was puckered for hours afterward.

pozi240

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 700A HP 6M FJG, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
In the winter time those tires will get you killed
Yes. I have the same tire setup on mine, and living in the cold north of Ottawa, those tires are like hockey pucks at any temp even approaching freezing. Dangerous to say the least, I’m not defending the dealer, however, I’m surprised they didn’t try to blame the owner for operating a car in winter with summer only performance tires. (Dirty of them if they did, since he literally just bought the car from them, but they technically could have gave him a really hard time about it, etc).

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t like the dealerships attitude it doesn’t matter if he was Made whole it doesn’t matter if he came out ahead. They treated his car like shit. I have Worked for dealerships and repair shops. this kind of Mistreatment of customer property happens every day. If it wasn’t a brand new car they would’ve said something on the car failed and caused the accident I’ve seen it
That attitude seems to be the norm for dealerships.

AnalogDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT – 6MT, 401A
I wouldn't want to take delivery of a newly-supercharged car without the installer driving it moderately hard.

Obviously it sucks that they wrecked it, but the idea that they're going to keep the engine under 2k RPM after major engine work is silly.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
"It was like that when you brought it in."
Sponsored