Sponsored

Are the Bank 1 sensor 1 and Bank 2 sensor 1 O2 sensors interchangable?

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I had an o2 sensor go bad like 6 months ago and ended up getting 2 of the same o2 sensors. The first one that went bad was Bank 1 Sensor 1 part number JR3Z-9F472-B , Bank 2 sensor 1 is part # JR3Z-9F472-A

The first time the sensor went bad I had an occasional rough idle which did not go away after the o2 sensor replacement, so I am thinking both sensors were actually damaged. (I had ran e85 for a while)

This time I have been on 93 octane but used Marvel Mystery oil in my gas, car seemed to be running great and idle went rough much less but now this light came on for Bank 2 sensor 1.

Is there an actual difference since there are 2 different part numbers? I have heard the length of o2 sensor extensions can affect the tune somehow so I dont want to mess anything up. Also, anyone know how hard this Bank 2 Sensor 1 o2 sensor is to get to and replace?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Also, Is it better to aftermarket o2 sensors if you run e85? since both my motorcraft left and right sensor 1's went out - stock headers and cats

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Too much for me to type out to explain thoroughly, but found this for you (and other future readers).

Bank 1 Sensor 1 = This O2 sensor is located right before the catalytic converter, on the side with the Cylinder #1 that is Bank 1.

Bank 1 Sensor 2 = This O2 sensor is located right after the catalytic converter, on the side with the Cylinder #1 that is Bank 1.

Bank 2 Sensor 1 = This O2 sensor is located right before the catalytic converter, on the side with the Cylinder #2 that is Bank 2.

Bank 2 Sensor 2 = This O2 sensor is located right after the catalytic converter, on the side with the Cylinder #2 that is Bank 2.
Here is the original link with a lot more info:
https://anewwayforward.org/bank-1-vs-bank-2-sensor/

B1S1 can be interchanged with B2S1 - they should operate in the same manner.

You can’t interchange the “before” with the “after”, because the sensor has different variables for relaying data back to the PCM. If you use the wrong O2 it can cause issues.

Upstream vs Downstream:
US is before catalytic converter; measures pollutants from engine and any raw fuel.
DS is after the cat; measures pollutants coming through the cat and out the tailpipe (and compares data to the US O2).

—————
As far as “brand” of O2... Just an FYI:
Ford Motorcraft doesn’t manufacture O2’s, it’s just a brand division of Ford. Those parts are contracted out to many suppliers, who manufacture the parts to Ford specs and Ford resells via the Motorcraft division, Ford Performance, Omnicraft, etc...

Directly from the BOSCH site:
Bosch invented the automotive oxygen sensor, which is also referred to as an O2 sensor or lambda sensor. Our Premium Oxygen Sensors are thimble and planar switching sensors that are designed to meet or exceed OE specification

Hope the above helps.
Sponsored

Last edited: