Brand new PP2 woes.

Bowdy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP2, 401a
So i recently bought my first ever brand new car, and first ever mustang. 2019 PP2 401a, magnetic grey with red interior. I absolutely love it.

A storm of epic proportions blew through my home town last night, leaving all sorts of debrid on the road. On the way to work at 6am, I managed to run over a piece of cinder block in the middle of the road. I immediately pulled into the nearest parking lot, only to find 2 other cars awaiting a tow that had hit the same thing. (Including another mustang!)

So now I await the full damage report. Just the one wheel is going to be 1200$ with 7 day delivery. I also might as well replace all 4 tires with PS4S. But while its in I figured I might just get some winter wheels and tires. Anyone have suggestions for nice aftermarket wheels in the 19x9 range? I'm unsure of things like offset, and what will clear my big ass front brakes.

Hopefully there is no structural damage. It was quite a wallop. Anybody know how much of a beating those magnetic shocks can handle? Thanks for any insight, and wish me luck with my baby :( I hope a car with 2k miles isn't going to be forever damaged.
20191101_070741.jpg
Sponsored

myblkshadow19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford mustang
Vehicle Showcase
So i recently bought my first ever brand new car, and first ever mustang. 2019 PP2 401a, magnetic grey with red interior. I absolutely love it.

A storm of epic proportions blew through my home town last night, leaving all sorts of debrid on the road. On the way to work at 6am, I managed to run over a piece of cinder block in the middle of the road. I immediately pulled into the nearest parking lot, only to find 2 other cars awaiting a tow that had hit the same thing. (Including another mustang!)

So now I await the full damage report. Just the one wheel is going to be 1200$ with 7 day delivery. I also might as well replace all 4 tires with PS4S. But while its in I figured I might just get some winter wheels and tires. Anyone have suggestions for nice aftermarket wheels in the 19x9 range? I'm unsure of things like offset, and what will clear my big ass front brakes.

Hopefully there is no structural damage. It was quite a wallop. Anybody know how much of a beating those magnetic shocks can handle? Thanks for any insight, and wish me luck with my baby :( I hope a car with 2k miles isn't going to be forever damaged.
20191101_070741.jpg
damn sorry to see that for you. never a good thing but hurts worse when it's your first new car. hopefully all is ok....can't help with winter tires although i need an extra set as well for just this occasion

OP
OP

Bowdy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP2, 401a
I don't think this is a PP2 woe, more like a car hitting debris in the road woe.
I never meant it like it was the PP2's fault. Just that I have a PP2, and had a rough morning. To be honest though, I was the only one with a cracked rim, so the low profile tires didn't help :p

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
You took one for the team here - a reminder that cast (aka cheap) rims riding on 30s vs. hard objects -> bad $hit. If you can afford to put your car out of commission for a minute, I'd consider getting forged wheels with new tires.

I doubt you had any structural damage - your tire and wheel took the brunt of that blow.

Sponsored

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
I never meant it like it was the PP2's fault. Just that I have a PP2, and had a rough morning. To be honest though, I was the only one with a cracked rim, so the low profile tires didn't help :p
You did do a good stress test on the PP2 wheels.

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
That’s unfortunate. Regardless of what wheels and tires you were using, with the hit that that wheel took, I think any wheel and tire would’ve met it’s end.

The brakes on the pp2 cars are the same as the pp1 cars so anything that will fit a pp1, will fit a pp2. Cheapest route, and best route I think, would be to go for some 18’s. Select 18’s will fit over your brakes, and allow for a taller tire for more cushion. Michelin Pilot Sport AS3’s can be had from tire rack in a 285/40/18 for $233/tire. A member here made a thread (I’ll link it below once I find it) about a handful of 18” wheels that fit over pp brakes. Snag a set of those, a set of all seasons of your choice, and you’re in business. Depending on what brand wheels and tires, I figure you could get a whole set up for about $1500

Of course, this doesn’t fix the massive crack in your oe pp2 wheel but that’s a repair you’d be making regardless of what you decide to do

Edit; link previously mentioned https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/18”-wheels-on-pp-for-the-budget-minded.129604/

OP
OP

Bowdy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP2, 401a
You took one for the team here - a reminder that cast (aka cheap) rims riding on 30s vs. hard objects -> bad $hit. If you can afford to put your car out of commission for a minute, I'd consider getting forged wheels with new tires.

I doubt you had any structural damage - your tire and wheel took the brunt of that blow.
I hear what you're saying, but man 1200$ a rim doesn't seem cheap to me. Have any suggestions on aftermarket alternatives? I love the style and fitment of the stock pp2 wheels.

OP
OP

Bowdy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP2, 401a
That’s unfortunate. Regardless of what wheels and tires you were using, with the hit that that wheel took, I think any wheel and tire would’ve met it’s end.

The brakes on the pp2 cars are the same as the pp1 cars so anything that will fit a pp1, will fit a pp2. Cheapest route, and best route I think, would be to go for some 18’s. Select 18’s will fit over your brakes, and allow for a taller tire for more cushion. Michelin Pilot Sport AS3’s can be had from tire rack in a 285/40/18 for $233/tire. A member here made a thread (I’ll link it below once I find it) about a handful of 18” wheels that fit over pp brakes. Snag a set of those, a set of all seasons of your choice, and you’re in business. Depending on what brand wheels and tires, I figure you could get a whole set up for about $1500

Of course, this doesn’t fix the massive crack in your oe pp2 wheel but that’s a repair you’d be making regardless of what you decide to do
Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking, only 19x9s.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I hear what you're saying, but man 1200$ a rim doesn't seem cheap to me. Have any suggestions on aftermarket alternatives? I love the style and fitment of the stock pp2 wheels.
I love the PP2 rims as well - a reason I went with a PP2 over a PP1- but for 1200 a pop you can get CCWs I bet : https://ccwheel.com/make/ford-mustang/. And probably a good investment because roads in PA can get rough from time to time (Ex-Ohio boy here who knows a thing or two about pot-holes).

Sponsored

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking, only 19x9s.
That would work too. 18” bits are usually cheaper but you can score some pp1 take offs all day long for cheap. Only issue is that if they have the MPS4S on them, you’re gaining a little drivability when near freezing temps, but not much. If you can score some take offs without tires, then you can get some rubber that’ll better handle those temps

OP
OP

Bowdy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP2, 401a
2k miles and that much wear on the tire? You drive that, sir. Anyway, a good replacement can be found here --->https://lmr.com/products/mustang-sve-sp2-wheels-15-19

Lighter wheels and all new tires. That's what I would do. Claim on your insurance and that will offset some of the cost.
Lol everyone said that even when it had 0 miles. The sport cup 2s look bald brand new. (They basically are bald brand new)

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
Do What I did. Second set of PP wheels and since you live in Ohio I would go with the Pilot Sport A/S 3+.
I just had these mounted today. They will be going on next month so that my brand new GT doesn't have to sit all winter.

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
Grab a set of 19"x9.5" SVE Drifts for winter tires and a set of 19"x10"/11" SVE SP2s for summer tires. They would be lighter than the PP2s and both sets together for $1600 is a great value.
Sponsored