Weird clutch pedal feel

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
So I tried searching for a logical explanation but still no answers.

My car has 15,800 miles on my car and i dont track it. Everything was stock up until i loaded a tune yesterday. About a month ago, I got into my car and noticed that the pedal fell to the floor and used my foot to bring it back up. It was that same feeling as when you bleed the clutch and have to keep pumping the pedal. after about 15 minutes or so the pedal felt normal. Earlier tonight when i returned back to the car from the gym, it does the same thing. I couldn't leave because the car would stall when i try to pull off. The car was driving fine all day and it just happened out of nowhere. After sitting for 20 minutes the pedal feel returned to normal. I have the steeda clutch spring and after the first occurrence, I took it out to stretch it out then put it back. I also changed out the stock clutch line to JPC stainless line over 5k miles ago. I am really curious how this happened twice on stock power and upgrade parts(somewhat). I checked for leaks but nothing. I was thinking maybe from driving hard? I clueless but just sucks getting in the car and not knowing what im gonna get.
Any suggestions? I would like to take it to dealer if i have to but i feel like that a lost cause because i know they consider a wear item
Sponsored

steveespo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PPL2, 2017 F-150 XLT SCREW
Slave cylinder is failing and is allowing air in. Do you have black flecks in your brake fluid?

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Slave cylinder is failing and is allowing air in. Do you have black flecks in your brake fluid?
Thanks for the response. I'll check when I get home in a bit. Let's say that is the issue... Is that something I can get Ford to fix? Or just depends on dealer?

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
i just checked and didn't see any black sediments or flakes.

Last edited:

steveespo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PPL2, 2017 F-150 XLT SCREW
Could also be master cylinder for clutch on pedal assembly. The soft pedal when the car sits indicates air getting in somewhere. Doesn't have to be a huge leak for the air to make pedal soft. check the line connections everywhere. Also if you have a vacuum bleeder try that and see if pedal improves, if it does there is an air leak. Try dealer, all they can do is deny warranty for mods at worst, help you fix it at best.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Could also be master cylinder for clutch on pedal assembly. The soft pedal when the car sits indicates air getting in somewhere. Doesn't have to be a huge leak for the air to make pedal soft. check the line connections everywhere. Also if you have a vacuum bleeder try that and see if pedal improves, if it does there is an air leak. Try dealer, all they can do is deny warranty for mods at worst, help you fix it at best.
Okay will do. Thanks very much for your help. Also is it possible to test for leaks if I can get someone to press the clutch and I put my hand around the hoses from the master cylinder? Or is it something that could only be in the line/assembly?

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Just got back from Ford and they said that they couldn't find anything. They said they had 3 tech drive it who own mustangs and its fine. But I know for a fact that my pedal was to the floor. Its one of those things that you don't know when its going to occur so its hard to replicate it for them. I asked if they at least tried to used the vacuum bleeder and he said they didn't have to. So I'm thinking I'm just going to have to go to a shop and get it done. If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to let me know. I am only going by info I've gathered online.

If the problem persists, I will start troubleshooting myself in this order:
  1. Replace JPC SS clutch line with Steeda's(easiest thing i can swap out without help)
  2. Replace Slave Cylinder/TOB
  3. Replace clutch with Exedy Mach 600

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I'd replace the reservoir to master cylinder feed line before I continued just to remove any doubt. Cheap too. Steeda makes a kit or order this hose from jegs or summit and get clamps local. Tilton 74-214, will be 5/16 ID.

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I'd replace the reservoir to master cylinder feed line before I continued just to remove any doubt. Cheap too. Steeda makes a kit or order this hose from jegs or summit and get clamps local. Tilton 74-214, will be 5/16 ID.
Thanks for that. But I actually replaced that when I did the clutch line several months ago in the beginning of spring
Sponsored