Sponsored

Mustang EcoBoost 2.3L High Performance Package Priced at $4,995

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I wouldn't own a Mustang without Magneride,

Subsequently, Magneride's cost on the PP2, Bullitt, GT350, GT500, etc... is no different than the HPP. Why pick a HPP thread to complain about MR's cost..? Anyone else see white noise?

BTW, Ford sells a Mustang that is $5k lower in price, than the HPP.
Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
If the RS was 350/350 then the Mustang HPP is more…!

And that is something to celebrate. The question is how much more..?

365/380.. <---??
Interesting... so now that the car is out, it's been officially reported by Ford that it is just a reworked/detuned 2016 Focus RS engine that was only modified to be adapted for RWD, and makes332hp/350 ft/lbs

"The newly available High Performance package swaps the base EcoBoost spec engine for a detuned version of the 2.3-liter unit that powered the all-wheel-drive Focus RS."

"Output is now 332 horses—18 less than the RS made—and the same 350 lb-ft as before. Ford says the RS-derived EcoBoost mill brings broader horsepower and torque curves"

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a29145957/2020-ford-mustang-ecoboost-high-performance-drive/

What was all that nonsense about brand new engines and next-gen RSs and 500hp hybrids and such? LMAO

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Ecoboost (NX2)
Interesting... so now that the car is out, it's been officially reported by Ford that it is just a reworked/detuned 2016 Focus RS engine that was only modified to be adapted for RWD, and makes332hp/350 ft/lbs

"The newly available High Performance package swaps the base EcoBoost spec engine for a detuned version of the 2.3-liter unit that powered the all-wheel-drive Focus RS."

"Output is now 332 horses—18 less than the RS made—and the same 350 lb-ft as before. Ford says the RS-derived EcoBoost mill brings broader horsepower and torque curves"

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a29145957/2020-ford-mustang-ecoboost-high-performance-drive/

What was all that nonsense about brand new engines and next-gen RSs and 500hp hybrids and such? LMAO
Show me who on these forums has been saying that it going to be 500hp ?

Only a few numpties who claim the RS block is stronger and are immediately corrected. Otherwise the car is exactly the same as what everybody was saying. Also the engine isnt "detuned" it has a different power to torque profile which ends up having less power due to peak torque being reached elsewhere on the curve. ( HP = Torque x RPM Ă· 5252 )
It makes the same torque so its not any weaker than the RS.

Other than that, same old engine design that we know for the 2.3L platform and other than different behavioural traits its not really going to have any more tuning potential that a normal ecoboost.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Odd, you might be the only person in the world claiming the Spain engine, is the same as the one made in States. And is weaker...

And, it seems only a few people here are pretending they do not understand Ford's HP ratings, it as if they don't get it. It is the exact same thing BMW does, to underrate the engine for insurance purposes. Ford has been doing this now since Ford Performance was created. The reason Ford Performance offers their own Tunes.

Also, very funny "some people" never heard of overboost, then go on to pretend they don't understand the marketing. Obvious, that the unstressed HPP engine has more HP/TQ than the RS. I already said it will officially have 335hp, just like the BMW...

Ford has to deliver a nice clean slate... what a HPP owner does with tune, is the reason people will spend $5k.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Which infotainment package do you have? My 18PP was also an abandoned special order that came with 101A so I got the larger screen, track apps and toggle switches (not sure about Shaker) + A10 + mageneride and that stickered for around 34K but I payed about 28K OTD after taxes and fees.

I did buy mine in April of last year so not sure if it was due to location or they were just trying to move it due to the unpopular option combo. It was perfect for me though because I loathe leather seats and it only cost me 2K for parts to do the digital dash swap myself.
Mine has the 201A with the digital dash, and I definitely wanted the leather/cooled seats... Bought it in May last year from a dealership north of Houston. The guy who originally ordered the car is also a member here... It seems like a real unicorn option package, so I was glad to find it only 250 miles away.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I already said it will officially have 335hp
"officially" as in what Ford puts in the published specs and the build and price?
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...igh-performance-package-for-2020-mustang.html and what's in the Build+Price and in all the recently published glossies?

The euro-weanies might not cert their engines to SAE but Ford does. Nobody is saying that by janking with boost or timing you as a private citizen can't get more out of the engine before blowing it up. Go buy 10 HPP mustangs and dyno them one after the other and they'll all hit the ~same number within the error bars.

Can some tuner manage to get 400HP out of the HPP motor? Sure, why not. If Ford could have, and it had a chance in hell of actually lasting the warranty term, I'm sure they would have been all about being able to certify it to any number higher than 330. I mean, car buying is all about dick measuring after all, and assuming "up-staging the GT" isn't a factor in the decision matrix.

People who appreciate the engine pulling nicely to redline instead of falling on it's face past 4000(?) or get stars in their eyes over "it's the RS engine!" will of course elect the HPP. Those who have delusions of what power they can get out of this mill will also select the HPP. Those who want the Active Exhaust will be forced to choose the HPP, ditto MR.

I suspect the previous 2.3EB will be relegated to solely 'base' cars and assuming Ford keeps making cars at all going forward, some down-market model will get the cast off.

Wolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`18 Kona Blue Mustang Ecoboost PP, `10 Nissan GTR
Mine has the 201A with the digital dash, and I definitely wanted the leather/cooled seats... Bought it in May last year from a dealership north of Houston. The guy who originally ordered the car is also a member here... It seems like a real unicorn option package, so I was glad to find it only 250 miles away.
Ahh makes sense. Yeah the price difference was definitely the leather + Digi dash in the 201a package. I was definitely kicking myself for not getting that dash upfront so I`m glad I was able to get it swapped.
Also magneride is the tits, especially with the lighter front end due to the i4. I didn't really feel the difference until me and my buddy went into the mountains and swapped cars for a chase. I felt every inch of the pavement in his BRZ and while his car definitely handled a bit better on his coilovers, I still felt better in my car and I obviously have 100+ horses on him.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
"officially" as in what Ford puts in the published specs and the build and price?
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...igh-performance-package-for-2020-mustang.html and what's in the Build+Price and in all the recently published glossies?

The euro-weanies might not cert their engines to SAE but Ford does. Nobody is saying that by janking with boost or timing you as a private citizen can't get more out of the engine before blowing it up. Go buy 10 HPP mustangs and dyno them one after the other and they'll all hit the ~same number within the error bars.

Can some tuner manage to get 400HP out of the HPP motor? Sure, why not. If Ford could have, and it had a chance in hell of actually lasting the warranty term, I'm sure they would have been all about being able to certify it to any number higher than 330. I mean, car buying is all about dick measuring after all, and assuming "up-staging the GT" isn't a factor in the decision matrix.

People who appreciate the engine pulling nicely to redline instead of falling on it's face past 4000(?) or get stars in their eyes over "it's the RS engine!" will of course elect the HPP. Those who have delusions of what power they can get out of this mill will also select the HPP. Those who want the Active Exhaust will be forced to choose the HPP, ditto MR.

I suspect the previous 2.3EB will be relegated to solely 'base' cars and assuming Ford keeps making cars at all going forward, some down-market model will get the cast off.
By the way the configurator shows that you can get the Active Exhaust as a stand alone option with the EB Premium.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Odd, you might be the only person in the world claiming the Spain engine, is the same as the one made in States.
Where did I say that? The RS engine is from Spain, as is the HPP engine

And is weaker...
Again, where did I say that?

And, it seems only a few people here are pretending they do not understand Ford's HP ratings, it as if they don't get it. It is the exact same thing BMW does, to underrate the engine for insurance purposes. Ford has been doing this now since Ford Performance was created. The reason Ford Performance offers their own Tunes.
This is all nonsense. Ford doesn't underrate their cars. SAE measurements determine power, not Ford's best guess

Also, very funny "some people" never heard of overboost, then go on to pretend they don't understand the marketing. Obvious, that the unstressed HPP engine has more HP/TQ than the RS. I already said it will officially have 335hp, just like the BMW...
Yeah, no, you never said that. You were the one constantly going on about how this CAN'T be an RS engine because the RS engine has a different horsepower rating. I also have you quoted as saying the official numbers aren't out yet, and once they were out, they'd be over 350hp. You were wrong on both accounts, as you are on 99% of the bullshit that spews from your mouth

Ford has to deliver a nice clean slate... what a HPP owner does with tune, is the reason people will spend $5k.
Any car can perform well with a tune. If people are spending $5k thinking that a tune is going to turn it into a supercar, I pity them

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder how well the the HPP will perform against something like a 2.0L base Porsche Cayman. If it ball park that would really be a nice feather in the cap of the HPP Ecoboost.

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)

Oddly, your post makes little technical sense...

You sound like you are complaining about and then dismissing the RS engine... & back everything you say with innuendo while calling Ford engineers, liars.

You are saying the RS built engine is nothing and no reason to use, or buy it, because... you are certain Ford wanted higher certified numbers, but failed...? Where is your proof of this..? When the exact same engine, without a bigger turbo, already has a higher spec of 350hp in another car. Do you see how ignorant you ranting is and how almost everyone here can see through you pseudo-negativity..?

Negativity that seems awfully misplaced and guided. As Everyone understands the HPP engine will have same or more horsepower than the stock RS engine (Longitudinal engines anybody?)... everyone but you. And for a logical measuring stick.... for $750 bucks = any Mustang ecoboost driver can get the dealer installed tune from Ford Performance with better #'s than the HPP specs.! (So explain the logic behind the HPP not being able, either...?)

Have you thought about that? Do you care..? What are you saying..? Why are you belittling the HPP, when the basic 2.3 can already put up the #'s you are suggest Ford can't...? How are you not understanding who this package is for? Do you understand the + $5k is for those track enthusiasts who will use 93 Octane and extract the RS's performance from the HPP.

edit: Because of what this "SVO skunkwerks" package offers, means that People like me, are not stuck with choosing a v8 anymore, to start my build... we see Ford extending their hand to us that come from the BMW world and have no issue dropping $5k into an engine. And now you don't have to. Not-to-mention, this new 2.3HPO will offer more performance/per dollar, in upgrades than anything Ford's offers. Aside from the engine, the HPP is 200lbs lighter than the GT and can pull 1g in turns, stock!

At the enthusiast level, I have no doubt that the Mustang HPP w/conservative 93 tune will trade blows with the heavier GT, or the likes of the Supra or m240i, all day long...

Lastly,

Shogun… you seem under-educated in how tunable the Ecoboosts are. (Or pretending)
The Ecoboost in my Edge Sport, has a roush tune for 93 octane. You upset by that..? Do you understand that..? Do you know how many Dealers do F-150 EB flashes..? You seem angry that Ford underrates their engine's HP potential...

If you can't afford the upgrade, just understand that about yourself. But don't knock the HPP because you have buyer's remorse, it is getting old. Because Ford already makes a non-magneride, non-RS engine Ecoboosts… for all of those who don't care about exacting performance out of their Mustang. The cost for the higher potential is well worth it, for those who drive 93+

Why else..?

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I wonder how well the the HPP will perform against something like a 2.0L base Porsche Cayman. If it ball park that would really be a nice feather in the cap of the HPP Ecoboost.
That would make for a very interesting comparo. Fully loaded EB at just under $43k vs bare bones Porsche for $58k+. And I thought the Supra would make a good matchup.

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That would make for a very interesting comparo. Fully loaded EB at just under $43k vs bare bones Porsche for $58k+. And I thought the Supra would make a good matchup.
Yeah im pretty sure people outside the US cross shop these cars already (I did). In the RHD regions especially all our 2.3L cars are the top spec performance premium pack models. Mine is a Roush Stage 1, I expect in future we will be getting the HPP in the RHD markets since 4 cylinder turbo cars are extremely popular ( BMW 430i , Cayman, GTI Clubsport, Mercedes C300 Coupe are all 4 cylinder turbos around the same price range here) and the pre facelift ecoboosts are starting to be outgunned and the non HPP ecoboost is listed with less power than the pre face lift, so its becomming a big gap.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Ford Focus and my last BMW (1-series) have the exact same wheelbase. And on American highways, that is just too short.

The Cayman may have an over-all advantage for outright capabilities (size weight, etc) than 2.3hpo, but without magenride… I would not want to drive more than a few hours in the Cayman. It's a p-car and meant for the track and gets annoying on long road trips.

Last edited:

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah the cayman is very small, and its performance is strongly tied to its low weight, but the engine lacks torque compared to the stock 2.3L Ecoboost, so the HPP is going to outgun it even more so i expect in certain cases now the mustang might be able to beat the cayman even though its heavier the power and torque are now a fair bit higher.
Sponsored