Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I was referring to the difference between his canned tune, and a custom tune with a smaller pulley, and E85. you know a custom configuration, unlike the one you had the dealership install for you. The supercharger system is the constant, the variables are the tune, fuel, boost pressure.Also, Half a second is an eternity on a drag strip.

Yes it is
Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I was referring to the difference between his canned tune, and a custom tune with a smaller pulley, and E85. you know a custom configuration, unlike the one you had the dealership install for you. The supercharger system is the constant, the variables are the tune, fuel, boost pressure.Also, Half a second is an eternity on a drag strip.
Mine was installed by a speedshop.
There’s always going to be someone who is faster no matter what you buy. My tuner has a legit low 8 second 2013 mustang. Doesn’t hurt my feelings one bit that I still have a Roush tune with a warranty that can run 10’s

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Yeah on the strip but not on the street. I rarely get challenged. When I do it’s gap city. Usually it’s bmw or Mercedes and surprisingly trucks. Even NA no one was blowing past me at warp speed. I would start thinking about suspension and tires.
My street racing days are over, I just laugh at people now

I guess at 54 I’m not the same guy I was a 20..At the track I can race with no fear of some asshat blowing a light of walking across a hwy in the dark.

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Mine was installed by a speedshop.
There’s always going to be someone who is faster no matter what you buy. My tuner has a legit low 8 second 2013 mustang. Doesn’t hurt my feelings one bit that I still have a Roush tune with a warranty that can run 10’s
Yep I’d be very happy too. You have the latest roush tune, tb and updated he?

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
I think if you search these forums and others, you will find far more failures related to canned tunes than those of custom ones. You are willing to spend 7-10k on a system, 1-2k for installation, but then not willing to spend an additional $400 on the most important part of the entire build? I digress, those of you with canned tunes that are happy with them, wonderful. Those of you with custom ones, you know what I mean...

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Not doubting it but drivability again is very important to me, that’s flying

10.70’s@127ish would be what I’m looking for with street manners, drive into Atco in Oct on a Dr and run 10.70’s and drive home
Found it... @olaosunt ran 10.2 at 138 mph almost a year ago on a 2018, a10, and the canned whipple tune. That’s tough to beat without switching to e85 and/or off-road exhaust. They’ve revised it since then and I’m pretty sure it’s only faster.

As with any early release kit, drivability of some of the earlier tunes wasn’t great but the last couple have been awesome. These ecu’s are immensely complicated and the gen3 dual injection and a10 threw a bit of a curve ball at the calibrators that took them a few months to get straight. Most folks using the latest whipple cal seem to be pretty thrilled with it.

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I think if you search these forums and others, you will find far more failures related to canned tunes than those of custom ones. You are willing to spend 7-10k on a system, 1-2k for installation, but then not willing to spend an additional $400 on the most important part of the entire build? I digress, those of you with canned tunes that are happy with them, wonderful. Those of you with custom ones, you know what I mean...

I get it but the one thing u forgot was if the car broke with a canned tune I have a warranty, although you make a good point about more issues with peeps having issue on canned tunes vs a good custom tune.

Decisions, Decisions

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Found it... @olaosunt ran 10.2 at 138 mph almost a year ago on a 2018, a10, and the canned whipple tune. That’s tough to beat without switching to e85 and/or off-road exhaust. They’ve revised it since then and I’m pretty sure it’s only faster.

As with any early release kit, drivability of some of the earlier tunes wasn’t great but the last couple have been awesome. These ecu’s are immensely complicated and the gen3 dual injection and a10 threw a bit of a curve ball at the calibrators that took them a few months to get straight. Most folks using the latest whipple cal seem to be pretty thrilled with it.

Interesting, I assume that’s a Stage II whipple Kit?

I would never push my car that fast so a 10.6 to 10.7 would make me happy. Whipple looks promising...

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yep I’d be very happy too. You have the latest roush tune, tb and updated he?
I have everything but the latest tune. Mine was done end of July they released the new cal like a week later. I have the voucher to get it. My tuner is sponsored by vmp and just won a championship with her vmp sc 2013 stang. I will say she wasn’t impressed with my current tune. but she promised better than both Lund and vmp also. So I don’t know.

Edit. Promised better with her tune

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
I get it but the one thing u forgot was if the car broke with a canned tune I have a warranty, although you make a good point about more issues with peeps having issue on canned tunes vs a good custom tune.

Decisions, Decisions
You are almost doubling the output that the OEM drivetrain was intended for, shit will go south occasionally. If you want the best possible drivability, get a custom tune. If you want the most possible power, get a custom tune. If you want to know exactly how everything is running, get a custom tune. I would highly recommend data logging (and understanding what the data means) if you are running a canned tune. Every car is different, every environment is different, but every canned tuned is well, the same. You need to be sure that your free tune is operating your 50k investment properly.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You are almost doubling the output that the OEM drivetrain was intended for, shit will go south occasionally. If you want the best possible drivability, get a custom tune. If you want the most possible power, get a custom tune. If you want to know exactly how everything is running, get a custom tune. I would highly recommend data logging (and understanding what the data means) if you are running a canned tune. Every car is different, every environment is different, but every canned tuned is well, the same. You need to be sure that your free tune is operating your 50k investment properly.

That’s not a problem
I data logged my all motor LS1 (ME BUILT) 10.70@124 WS6 back in 2002-2004. LS1 edit was great, and yes I had lots of hours tweaking the tune. I get it, Your just trying to give me solid advice
D097A3D6-271B-4203-A6D6-0B10A523DC46.png

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
That’s not a problem
I data logged my all motor LS1 (ME BUILT) 10.70@124 WS6 back in 2002-2004. LS1 edit was great, and yes I had lots of hours tweaking the tune. I get it, Your just trying to give me solid advice
D097A3D6-271B-4203-A6D6-0B10A523DC46.png
Nice build.

Sheepdog has a valid point. I don’t like how the Roush tune I have cuts power predictability at 125mph. According to another poster who datalogged it, it’s something to so with the speed limiter kicking in early. Power kicks back in but still it’s annoying and if you take it to the strip that’s going to hurt you at the wrong time. Based upon what you want it sounds like you need a custom tune. So I’ll concede and say you might want to go that route.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Your words are bit cocky, I never cursed or came at you that way.

Not cool young man, and I have every right to say when u pay for something it should perform correctly. Sure at times you may have an issue here and there but from what people have reported imho it’s not so warm and fuzzy on canned tunes

Now it’s funny you say the roush won’t perform and then a post shows 11.1@125 at + DA’s

At Atco in Oct/Nov that same 11.1 would be 10.70@128

So it looks like it does perform just fine, however again I do agree with you Lund is in my back yard, there’s a car show in Oct for a fireman near evolution so I will stop and speak to a few of the guys running low 10’s or better with the edelbrock kit (Lund tuned) that work at evolution
You know, if you look hard enough you can find something negative about anything on the internet....a man (or should I use the term person so as to not offend?) of your knowledge and wisdom knows that....or do you? Apparently not or you would have not started a thread like this. I bet the next thing you will become consumed with is that you have "the tick", your trans is junk, and your dealer sucks...right? After all that's what it says on the internet.

You're the dime store expert on the matter 'woodstock'. You've book read and internet read everything so you should be able to make your own decisions. I don't know why you bothered to even start a thread as all knowing as you are on the matter. They all suck. That's what you have concluded. So like I said, 'Stardust', keep the car stock and be happy with what you have. I personally think you are pipe dreaming and would never do it and would have never done it regardless of your 'research'.

The 11.1 you referred to? Only impressive if it was a stick shift car. And as so I doubt seriously if it ran 11.1 on a Roush tune and stock setup. There is a guy who has run 11.1 on a Roush tune, but he has modified the HE package on it to lower the IAT temps way down. Pretty certain he was not a stick shift car. Even at that if his ability to drive got him an 11.1 with a Roush tune then he would be able to run 10.70's with the car properly tuned on the same package. The car properly tuned with a 6R80 and stock converter should run 10.70's on 93 octane in average DA. I ran 10.80's on 540 RWHP via a Roush package tuned properly in my 14.

Again, you should stay stock. Because all you will do at the first sign of an issue is whine about everything. You have established that already. Do Lund and Edelbrock a favor. Buy the Roush package that will make a number and give you something to have Jack Roush sign at a Car show when he comes through. At least then you won't be back eyeing good companies who don't deserve it.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none

Tough to beat. Yet on E-85 the 10R80 cars are running in the 10's on stock converters. Says a lot for that trans as well as Whipples tune. Whipple has some solid stuff going on. They have even gotten smart and designed their own drive motor for their larger TB's as the stock Ford drivemotor is not capable of handling the loads the larger TB's are under which causes the car to go into limp mode. They also offer a larger HE which is HUGE. I have one ready to go into my setup. Just need to pick up the mounting kit and some plumbing to make it work with my 2300TVS tuner package. I want to see what kind of passes it will make before putting it in and how the IAT's compare before and after however. Datalogging and doing compares based on ambient air and DA conditions as some here seek to know how it does. Just been dragging my feet this summer. Not as amped up for the strip as I once was. Missing the S197 cars that felt more like muscle cars and less like eurpoean touring sedans.

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Just get a custom tune
Sponsored